Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
297 messages over 38 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 37 38 Next >>
Ronan
France
Joined 6871 days ago

5 posts - 10 votes

Message 57 of 297
30 June 2005 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Being a native speaker of French, i really don't understand what you like in it, it's so monotonous (no melody in sentences, very few stress), and the "r" and "eu" sounds are ugly to me...

For me, the most beautiful language is by far Donegal Irish. Sure you'd agree with me if you hear it. Southern and Connemara Irish are more guttural, while Donegal Irish isn't, it's quick and words fly out and there's a wonderful melody in every sentence.

Otherwise, the language i less like for sound is Hoch Deutsch and most dialects of English (especially USA English), and Spanish (sounds awful to me).

I love Slavic languages (Russian and Polish; i like Czech as well but Russian and Polish are sweeter) and Swedish. I don't see why it was said here that the accent is awful, that's just what pleases me in Swedish: it's very musical :-) . I like Hungarian speech as well.
Finally: I love spoken Persian, because it sounds so sweet and it's spoken by so pretty young women! :-)

Edited by Ronan on 30 June 2005 at 9:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ANK47
Triglot
United States
thearabicstudent.blo
Joined 6878 days ago

188 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 58 of 297
30 June 2005 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
     Languages I don't know all sound good to me. I can't really tell whether English sounds good or not. My least favorite language, dialect really, is Australian English. Every time I watch Steve Erwin wrestling crocs on TV my ears hurt for days.

Paul
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6902 days ago

114 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German
Studies: Italian

Message 59 of 297
02 July 2005 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
I must say Icelandic sounds very nice, but in terms of the most beautiful
language, that would be anglo-saxon.

I also think that the beauty of a language becomes more apparent when
you study it's history.

Katia
Groupie
United States
Joined 6861 days ago

42 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 60 of 297
08 July 2005 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
Dont like French at all...to many gagging noises for me..

PORTUGESE...the way the speak it in Brazil is the most lovely sound. And to watch them speak it is even prettier.

1204grandine
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 6968 days ago

88 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Catalan
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Greek

Message 61 of 297
10 July 2005 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
Seth, I think that the most beautiful language is Italian. Many linguists in the world think so.

Edited by victor on 10 July 2005 at 1:56pm

cbashara
United States
adventuresinspanish.
Joined 6910 days ago

186 posts - 188 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 62 of 297
10 July 2005 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Growing up I absolutely adored a British accent on any male. If I could hear the tv on in another room and a male British voice came on I would run into the room and watch the tv transfixed, no matter what the speaker looked like or what he was saying. Well, I've grown up a little since then (not much though). I have a very deep apreciation for my mother toungue (English) and unlike MANY MANY people I love all the regional variations in the United States, including, but not limited to the South, North-east and of course Texas! I think English is a very rich and complex language, but not always the most beautiful sounding.

I think French sounds beautiful, but I also think Mandarin sounds almost musical. I don't understand a bit of either. I love the way Spanish is spoken in Spain, the lisp and the harsh j. I even like the harsher Germanic languages. I can't think of many languages that offend my ears, except maybe the English that is spoken in Wisconnsin!

Chandra

Edited by cbashara on 10 July 2005 at 10:25pm

Vieritatei
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6865 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
2 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Estonian

Message 63 of 297
11 July 2005 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
Estonian. It's a pity that you never hear anything sung in Estonian unless you search for it, because it is truly awesome when sung. Too few know about Estonian.

English spoken with Russian accent is also awesome. Preferably a female too.

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6885 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 64 of 297
11 July 2005 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
Vieritatei wrote:
English spoken with Russian accent is also awesome. Preferably a female too.

In my Russian class the teacher has a pretty accent. It is cool how she pronounces some English words. What's also interesting is she doesn't have an accent close to my Ukrainian grandmother. Or course I understand there's some difference to be expected!

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version