Diglot
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

146 posts - 153 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 25 of 44
29 July 2009 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
Talk about thread necromancy Dip. It's good in this case though, cause I never would have found this useful thread otherwise.
1 person has voted this message useful

Grammaticus
Hexaglot
Norway
Joined 5513 days ago

36 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: FrenchC2, Norwegian*, EnglishC2, GermanC2, Italian, Russian

Message 26 of 44
23 December 2009 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 

Far and away the best book for getting started is Farhad Sobhani�s �Persisches Lehr- und Lesebuch� (Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, 1962), which was still available from Amazon.de last time I checked, and which comes with some invaluable if not lengthy recorded material as well.

Dear professor,

I'm afraid it doesn't. I followed your advice and just got Sobhani's book mailed to me, but there is no audio, just a mention that "Die Lektionen 1-23 (ab Lektion 18 nur Lesestücke), Lektion 41, 52, 61, 66 und Lesestück Seite 225-231 kann man auch von Schallplatten abhören. Sie sind zu einem Ladenpreis von 32 DM erhältlich."

Any idea where I can get hold of this audio (in some contemporary format such as CD or mp3?

I agree with you the book looks very promising, but without the audio material, it's bound to be less useful. May I ask you where you got the audio? I assume you didn't sit and listen to 40 year-old records?

Any information as to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for a very interesting site.

Grammaticus
Hexaglot
Norway
Joined 5513 days ago

36 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: FrenchC2, Norwegian*, EnglishC2, GermanC2, Italian, Russian

Message 27 of 44
25 January 2010 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=Grammaticus]

Far and away the best book for getting started is Farhad Sobhani�s �Persisches Lehr- und Lesebuch� (Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, 1962), which was still available from Amazon.de last time I checked, and which comes with some invaluable if not lengthy recorded material as well.

Dear professor,

I'm afraid it doesn't. I followed your advice and just got Sobhani's book mailed to me, but there is no audio, just a mention that "Die Lektionen 1-23 (ab Lektion 18 nur Lesestücke), Lektion 41, 52, 61, 66 und Lesestück Seite 225-231 kann man auch von Schallplatten abhören. Sie sind zu einem Ladenpreis von 32 DM erhältlich."

Any idea where I can get hold of this audio (in some contemporary format such as CD or mp3?

I agree with you the book looks very promising, but without the audio material, it's bound to be less useful. May I ask you where you got the audio? I assume you didn't sit and listen to 40 year-old records?

Any information as to this would be greatly appreciated.

Still no one out there who has any info on this?

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 5989 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 28 of 44
07 March 2011 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
Bradley wrote:
Farsi is a language in which I do not know much about, so I thought I would start a post here
and see what we can come up with! If you have knowledge, or have attempted to learn this ancient language,
please post here, I am eagar to learn a few things about this language. Like the level of difficulty to learn Farsi
considering your native language, if it is a gateway to other languages, or whether you should start an "easier"
language to bridge the gap to Farsi. In all, lets see what we can come up with here.

Persian/Farsi is a language that I re-visit again and again.

It is as the good Prof. Ar. claims a wonderful gateway language. I learned Turkish first and was delighted at the
shared vocabulary between the two.

Spoken Persian is absolutely BEAUTIFUL to hear.

Native Persian speakers are very impressed with English speakers that attempt to learn Persian. I remember
years ago I wrote an Iranian friend's name on a birthday card in Nashkh script and he was so happy, he almost
burst into tears ( with a huge smile on his face!)

Learn as much Persian as you can as it opens up a huge world towards the wonderful Iranian/Afghani/Tajik
people!

ab2000
Kazakhstan
Joined 4637 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: Persian

Message 29 of 44
19 July 2011 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
Excuse me? can anyone tell me what this means: heili huswholam ke tu ro peido kardam
:))) ewke man tu ro heili dust doram? Thank you.

Remy
United Kingdom
Joined 5305 days ago

10 posts - 13 votes

Message 30 of 44
19 July 2011 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
"I'm very happy that I found you :))) <ewke> [possibly means: do you know that] I really love you?"

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4628 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 31 of 44
22 October 2011 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
Sorry for using this thread, I can't open a new one.

Similarities between Hebrew and Persian?

I've been studying Modern Hebrew for a while and now I want to start learning Persian. I read that there are quite a few words from Arabic in Persian and Hebrew and Arabic also share words and roots... I've already noticed that the two languages share some letters (in name and function, not in form).
Does anyone have experience with both Hebrew and Persian? I'm wondering if there's going to be a noticeable percentage of similar words and if it's easy to mix them up or not.

cheers100
China
languageloverr.cnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3956 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English

Message 32 of 44
11 June 2013 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
Phonetically speaking I do not believe Persian to be challenging for speakers of any
European language � depending on your precise background, there may be a trouble spot
here or there, but I do not think there are any sounds in Persian that are not found in
most of the major European languages.

Do you think the long vowel آ exists in English? I am afraid no.

Could someone please provide a mimium vocabulary list of Persian with phonetic symbols
and English definition? I want to build my vocabulary.

Many thanks!

Edited by cheers100 on 11 June 2013 at 1:16am

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version