Diglot
United States
Joined 6472 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 41 of 44
25 June 2013 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
I think its fine to pronounce the long a like father, but it will be a problem to pronounce it like bat. The difference between the short vowel and the long vowel is not only the length.

Lambston's grammar says:
"a   approximating to the vowel in the English word 'barred' and represented by ا in the Arabic script, e.g. باد bad, wind."

Sutton's grammar says:
"a: about halfway between 'a' in father and 'a' in 'wash'. This is represented by the secondary use of alef."

The Teach Yourself by Farzad says:
"Finally, let us look at the long vowel a, as in the English words 'father', 'cart' or 'sarnie'.

Edited by Talib on 25 June 2013 at 1:06am

1 person has voted this message useful

cheers100
China
languageloverr.cnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4007 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English

Message 42 of 44
25 June 2013 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
Phonetically speaking I do not believe Persian to be challenging for speakers of any European language � depending on your precise background, there may be a trouble spot here or there, but I do not think there are any sounds in Persian that are not found in most of the major European languages.
--quote from Prof Arguelles'comment

-------------------

I am talking about Professor's Arguelles' comment. And many people who learn a foreign language would like to try their best to make their pronounications as close as the native speakers.

Someone might be interesting only in saying it, even the pronounciation sounds odd, but I believe that many learners dedicate for proficiency. If a person doesn't speak very good Persian, how come he/she is qualified to be a good linguist of Persian or teacher of Persian, or be with other purposes with higher requirements of the language? That's why some job requries native speakers. And that is why many people woud like to choose a native speaker to teach them a foreign language, instead of a non-native speaker who can speak it too.

Why do teachers of English have to require us to write proper English? i.e. I speak English, but not "i speak english" ? Both sentences can be understood. The reason is similar in my view.

http://zh.forvo.com/search/%D8%B3%D8%A7%D8%B9%D8%AA/

I have invited several Europeans to access the above websites ,they told me it sounds like so:'at.

Why do I pay much attention to this vowel, because it is one of 6 vowels and appears almost every sentence people speak.

@ Talib:

Sutton's grammar says: "a: about halfway between 'a' in father and 'a' in 'wash'. This is represented by the secondary use of alef."

I assume it is correct.

@ anime If you are not interesting in it, I never ask you to have to response or read it. You may pronounce it whatever you like. I didn't break forums' rules did I ? I think everyone is titled to post and share their own opinion about language with others, whatever you like or not. If you don't like, simply ignore my posts. Sorry for your inconvenience.

Edited by cheers100 on 25 June 2013 at 12:47pm

anime
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6171 days ago

161 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Portuguese, French, Russian

Message 43 of 44
25 June 2013 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
Yeah but you're cluttering this thread, which is the main thread on Persian, a language I'm interested in, and
am trying to ask questions about.

Here's a tip for you, try listening to native Persian speakers and imitate the â-sound. Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FarsiWizard/videos

cheers100
China
languageloverr.cnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4007 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English

Message 44 of 44
25 June 2013 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
I put forward my opinion on the proper pronunciation on Persian-long vowel-aa.

If you think I break the rule of the forum, please feel free to complain to the Mod, or please don't accuse me groundlessly of cluttering on the thread, or try to gag me. The forum welcomes everyone but not you only.

I am not going to respond to any post of yours.

I don't want to turn the thread into a battlefield. Hope you too. Excuse me. Goodbye!

Edited by cheers100 on 25 June 2013 at 3:33pm

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version