Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
15 messages over 2 pages: 1

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6518 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 15
23 August 2007 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
I agree with Quinn: even if you can find evidence for differences in the brains of polyglots and monoglots it doesn't prove that these differences are hereditary. They might be a result of years of hard training. Besides it will be a difficult task to prove that any differences that you might find are directly connected with the number of languages of the subject unless the they are limited to the areas in the brain that specifically deal with language (Broca, Wernicke). It is a fascinating subject, but it will take much more research to prove anything.

Research based on the brains of dead people is difficult because you have to wait for people to die, and then you have to get their brains and dissect them. I personally think we are more likely to get results from the kind of research where you put electrodes on the sculls of people and ask them to perform certain tasks. These experiments might show that some people have different activity with every language, others not, or they might show that some people have unusually high activity in their Brocas (as implied in the thread about the superfast speaking lady). If you find such resultd it might be worth to investigate whether the differences in activity have parallels in the physical brain.

Edited by Iversen on 23 August 2007 at 7:00am

1 person has voted this message useful

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6843 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 15
23 August 2007 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
leonidus wrote:
Ok... can distinguish sounds faster, that's great, but they still have to remember words just like anyone else.

I am quite willing to believe that an ability to distinguish sounds will help in learning and remembering words. Even when we read, we vocalize. Ditto for learning and remembering, and eventually reproducing language structure.

I also believe this can be trained and in my experience, the more languages you learn the easier it gets.
2 persons have voted this message useful

leonidus
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6141 days ago

113 posts - 123 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 11 of 15
23 August 2007 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
Ok then musicians should have an advantage. It would be interesting to find some statistics on how musicians compare to everyone else in regards of language learning.

Still I believe it's more hard work than just having a talent. Once you've got the sound system of a language down, you shouldn't often have a problem decomposing a word into sounds and recognizing it, as long as you know it. But remembering it in the first place is what defines its correct identification. and that already depends on how much time you spent providing yourself with audio input to engrave that word into your brain. Just my 2 cents.
2 persons have voted this message useful

H.Computatralis
Triglot
Poland
Joined 6119 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Latin

Message 12 of 15
24 August 2007 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
Quinn wrote:
The researcher quoted seems to be working from the assumption that brain chemistry is strictly a matter of hereditary
[...]
However, another possibility is that intensive language study actually changes the composition of polyglots' brains.

For a long time neuro-scientists believed that the brain doesn't grow new structures and that the number of neurons in the brain is fixed at birth. From what I've read, more recent research seems to contradict this, but maybe this particular researcher is not aware of that.

LeadingQuestion
United States
Joined 4993 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English

Message 13 of 15
22 September 2010 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
One year of music practice leads to a clearly broader corpus calllosum.

New neurons are happening all the time, and yes this did overturn decades of dogma some years ago.

Currently, people think white matter gets pretty fixed/mature by 35-45.

But who knows... people thought you could never acquire traits and pass them on to your kids forever, too
(epigenetics). Also, there will be open-source hardware for TMS and there already is for EEG, so you'll have
neural input-output and plasticity at some level within a decade, so maybe new growth ...?

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6397 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 14 of 15
22 September 2010 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
leonidus wrote:
Still I believe it's more hard work than just having a talent.

When it comes to pronunciation (rather than language learning in general), what I've experienced and read suggests that it's to a large extent a matter of talent. Some people get the pronunciation right from the beginning and others work hard but still can't do it. This does not mean that working on it is fruitless, of course, nor does it say whether this talent is hereditary or acquired during the early years.

I haven't seen any research in the area, though. Until now, that is. Very interesting.

Hanekawa
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4987 days ago

30 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 15 of 15
27 September 2010 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
I wonder if this means polyglots are good at playing instruments and stuff...

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version