Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

I found the best possible conditions....

Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
BelgoHead
Belgium
Joined 6063 days ago

120 posts - 119 votes 
Studies: French, English*
Studies: Esperanto

Message 1 of 6
23 August 2007 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
I found the best possible conditions to learn a new language.

By early next month i expect to be moving To libya.
Ofcourse they speak Arabic there.

What i want to know is when learning a new language they say "immersion" is the best way to learn a new language.

Well now is my chance.

How can i learn Arabic from just talking with people.

What are some useful strategies to imply when picking up a language?

I will taking the optional Arabic class at the school i will be going to. So beyound that how i can i prepare myself for a new language?

Edited by BelgoHead on 23 August 2007 at 7:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Kiajw
United States
Joined 6077 days ago

16 posts - 19 votes
Studies: Spanish, Korean

Message 2 of 6
25 August 2007 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
You know, I honestly don´t think that you have to go to a country in order to learn the language. I think that in order to get the best out of your experience do as much as you can now to learn and be able to read so that when you get there you are merely growing and fine tuning. THat´s what I think. Anyone else?

BelgoHead
Belgium
Joined 6063 days ago

120 posts - 119 votes 
Studies: French, English*
Studies: Esperanto

Message 3 of 6
25 August 2007 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
no you dont understand im not moving there to learn arabic it just so happens im moving there so i guess ill learn arabic while im there....

Im was just asking if there was any tip's on learning a language when your "immeresed" in it.

Like easy ways to pick up words you know?

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6528 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 4 of 6
25 August 2007 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
Every day, learn something new and use it with the locals. :)

LuckyNomad
Groupie
Korea, South
Joined 6107 days ago

79 posts - 89 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 5 of 6
25 August 2007 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
Hello BelgoHead

I have the same situation. I live and work in Korea and I am learning Korean. Before I came to Korea, I didn't know any Korean, but I did know the general structure of the gammar because it is the same as Japanese.
Here's some tips;

1. Stay away from expats as much as possible. Try to only make friends with Libyians.

2. Study Study Study. Learning through immersion requires effort. You must be active in learning.

3. Keep your ears open. You'll hear certain words and phrases, over and over again during the same time or situation. It doesn't take very long to figure out phrases like, "let's go, let's eat, come here."

3. Try to quickly aquire the vocabulary of a 4 year old. I, you, give, do, go, here, write, read, no, yes, what, who, when, why, book, etc.

4. Learn the script. On your way to work every day, try and figure out what the signs on the stores mean. You'll see them everyday, so it's good practice rather than looking at indecipherable words all the time.

5. Talk to people using whatever ability you have. At first, I would say things to my co-workers like, "Do you like coffee?" "It's hot." Just use what you've got when you've got it, and don't be timid.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4895 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 6 of 6
01 October 2016 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
LuckyNomad wrote:

I have the same situation. I live and work in Korea and I am learning Korean. Before I came to Korea, I didn't know any Korean, but I did know the general structure of the gammar because it is the same as Japanese.

Korean sentence structure is subject-object-verb also?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version