Groupie
United States
Joined 6892 days ago

46 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*
Studies: English, Italian, Cantonese

Message 1 of 62
09 September 2007 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
I have always thought that it is almost impossible for an adult learner to achieve native fluency of a foreign
language. But this guy changed my mind:

Video
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

His Mandarin Chinese is better than many native speakers', although with Beijing accent. It's very natural and
clean, without any trace of "foreigner".

Even though this is encouraging to me, I was still wondering if everyone could do the same thing. Maybe it is a
natural talent not everyone has.

Edited by krtek on 14 April 2010 at 3:48am

1 person has voted this message useful

krtek
Groupie
United States
Joined 6892 days ago

46 posts - 50 votes

Message 2 of 62
10 September 2007 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
Just found out: his name is Julien Gaudfroy.

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6965 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 62
10 September 2007 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
In the program they mentioned that he used to be a musician. I think that could be one of the reasons as to why his pronounciation is so good. However I still believe that almost anyone can get a very good pronunciation in a foreign language. It is very much a matter of effort.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6550 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 4 of 62
10 September 2007 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
I think knowing how to play an instrument certainly helps with language acquisition. One's sense of rhythm and tone become more finely tuned. The connections you make in your brain learning one skill so often assist in another.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jee
Australia
Joined 6091 days ago

105 posts - 105 votes 
Studies: English

Message 5 of 62
10 September 2007 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
Unbelievable,how could he speak mandarin so perfect ,much clearly than me as a native speaker
Actually,his mandarin is with a little bit Beijing style
I trust that playing instruments is really helpful for learning languages,especially for tonal languages

krtek
Groupie
United States
Joined 6892 days ago

46 posts - 50 votes

Message 6 of 62
10 September 2007 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Interestingly, there seems to be a consensus that being a musician helps language acquisition. That's news to me. Good to know.

maxb wrote:
In the program they mentioned that he used to be a musician. I think that could be one of the reasons as to why his pronounciation is so good. However I still believe that almost anyone can get a very good pronunciation in a foreign language. It is very much a matter of effort.

Edited by krtek on 10 September 2007 at 10:23am

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 62
10 September 2007 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
The link doesn't work for me. I'm directed to a Flash player which seems to load forever. I'm using IE 6.0/XP.

kinoko
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6418 days ago

103 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 8 of 62
10 September 2007 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
I am always a bit skeptical when it comes to foreigners learning to speak a language very distant from their mother tongue (not the case of Spanish Italian for example, but German Chinese) in their adulthood. I'm not saying it can't be done, but still...
Thus I'm very curious. Does he speak about his experience with Chinese or does anyone here knows his story? I mean, he could have grown up in China going to a Chinese junior high school, or be bilingual for some other reason. In that case it would be pretty much understandable that he can speak like a native.
But being a professional musician and devoting all his time to music, going to China after receiving his formal education somewhere else and learning to speak like a native from zero only because he has a refined acustic sense (if that is the case), sorry guys but I don't believe in magic when it comes to language learning. There must be another reason why he can speak Chinese like a native.

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version