Learning Chinese - an encouraging video

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
62 messages over 8 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6377 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 57 of 62
03 October 2007 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
traveller wrote:
Krashen himself wrote that only "comprehensible output" is useful when learning a foreign language.

This is simply wrong. Krashen believes that languages are acquired from comprehensible input.

Edited by Linguamor on 03 October 2007 at 7:51pm

1 person has voted this message useful

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6409 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 58 of 62
04 October 2007 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
traveller wrote:
Julien's posts are great but it seems to me that such advices are only for extremely gifted learners like him. How could an average learner start learning such a difficult language as Mandarin watching TV and DVDs or listening to the radio if he doesn’t understand a word? I fear that you could do it for months all day long without any progress, though I'd loved to be mistaken on that point! Krashen himself wrote that only "comprehensible output" is useful when learning a foreign language.

You mean comprehensible input, right? It's gotta be a typo or something, because what you describe seems like you're saying that none of that input will be comprehensible.

As for learning through those media, I believe you can, once a nice base for context is constructed. A combination of visual or otherwise non-verbal cues along with, perhaps, an rudimentary understanding of word order or something like that. You'd at least get the exclamations right! And I think if you hear enough of the sounds over and over and over again in different contexts, you could decipher a good deal of the meaning. All that's left is a heck of a lot of mimicking or shadowing and you'd probably be in good shape.

At least, I think so. But I am an optimist, so... :-)

traveller
Triglot
Switzerland
Joined 6957 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 59 of 62
04 October 2007 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
Sorry for the typo.I meant "comprehensible input" of course.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 60 of 62
14 April 2010 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
I'm bumping this old thread with a link to a Youtube clip uploaded just a few weeks ago:
Chinese Comedy: Cross Talking with Julien Gaudfroy (the interview is in English)
4 persons have voted this message useful

krtek
Groupie
United States
Joined 6869 days ago

46 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*
Studies: English, Italian, Cantonese

Message 61 of 62
14 April 2010 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
I'm bumping this old thread with a link to a Youtube clip uploaded just a few weeks ago:
Chinese Comedy: Cross Talking with Julien Gaudfroy
(the interview is in English)

Nice interview. Thanks for letting us know. I also updated the links to the original video in my original post.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sagitta_fr
Triglot
China
Joined 5036 days ago

2 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, French, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 62 of 62
20 July 2010 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Julien wrote:
And at the end isn't social recognition something we all need? Except for the greatest art geniuses, I do not believe you want to separate your success from the love other people give you. And this all starts with the love you give them, in other words deep focus and understanding.

Just my two cents.

That's so true, Julien. Je suis tout a fait d'accord avec vous sur ce point la, et vous savez tres bien ce que vous voulez dans votre vie! Et felicitations sur votre succes en Chine! Nous vous adorons!!!

And also to jeff_lindqvist, thank you for the video clip, i showed it to my friends, it's really interesting~~~

Edited by Sagitta_fr on 20 July 2010 at 7:00pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version