Language Learning Forum : Language Bookstores Post Reply
owshawng
United States
Joined 6697 days ago

202 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 1
17 September 2007 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Book-off is a pretty interesting store. It sells used Japanese and english books, Japanese magazines, as well as cds and dvds. It is 3 stories and is located on East 41st street between Madison and 5th. It has a huge selection of Japanese books, and I do mean huge. I think it has a larger inventory then Kinokumiya in New York and Sydney do. The top floor is all manga, the Japanese comic books. Most were priced at $1 to $3 US. The ground floor has magazines, dvds, cds, children's books, and english books. The basement has books on a wide variety of subjects. Interstingly enough, there appeared to be very few books on learning languages. There may have been some in the basement, but I didn't go through every row, and I don't read Japanese. My wife does, but she stayed in the magazine section on the ground floor. This is truly a wonderful store for people who are studying or can read Japanese.

PS there is a great Japanese cafe a few doors down called Cafe Zaiya (I think that's the spelling, anyway it's only 2 or 3 stores away on the same side of the street) selling Bendo boxes, soups, sushi, and baked goods. Most of the non sushi dishes were between $5 to $7, which is pretty cheap for a well balanced meal in New York.

Edited by owshawng on 21 September 2007 at 7:40am

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version