United States
languageprograms.blo
Joined 6978 days ago

264 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 1 of 6
12 June 2005 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
Is it acceptable? I've checked out this website: http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Uvular_R

Edited by braveb on 12 June 2005 at 9:43am

1 person has voted this message useful

Al-Malik
Bilingual Heptaglot
United Kingdom
arabicgenie.com
Joined 6915 days ago

221 posts - 294 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German*, Spanish, Arabic (Written), Dutch, French, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Mandarin, Persian

Message 2 of 6
12 June 2005 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
Are you referring to Modern Standard Arabic =MSA?
What exactly is the uvular trill? Is it like the French "r"?

braveb
United States
languageprograms.blo
Joined 6978 days ago

264 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 3 of 6
14 June 2005 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I'm referring to Moderrn Standard Arabic. Yes, the uvular trill is like the French R.

Al-Malik
Bilingual Heptaglot
United Kingdom
arabicgenie.com
Joined 6915 days ago

221 posts - 294 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German*, Spanish, Arabic (Written), Dutch, French, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Mandarin, Persian

Message 4 of 6
15 June 2005 at 5:38am | IP Logged 
In Arabic there are two different letters which could be regarded as "r" sounds. The one is called "ghain", the other "ra".
Ghain is similar to the French "r" but not exactly.
Ra is similar to the Spanish "r", sometimes it is even pronounced like "rr" in Spanish.
I take it that the link you provided claims that "ra" is pronounced as "ghain" or French "r" in some dialects? While I have not heard of such dialects myself it is quite possible. Some native Arabic speakers have problems pronouncing the "ra" sound, similar to some native Spanish speakers having the same problem. In fact, I have met a few individuals from both groups.
But I don't think it's permissible in the standard pronunciation to replace the one sound with the other.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Martien
Heptaglot
Netherlands
martienvanwanrooij.n
Joined 6886 days ago

134 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, Spanish, Turkish, Italian, French
Studies: Portuguese, Serbo-Croatian, Latin, Swedish, Arabic (Written)

Message 5 of 6
15 June 2005 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
Al-Malik wrote:

Ghain is similar to the French "r" but not exactly.

I am by no means an expert of Arabic but I read an explanation in a course based on Dutch that maybe could be helpful. They first explained the difference between voiced and unvoiced consonant pairs, that could be plosive or "aspirated" but maybe I use the wrong phonetic terms. Anyway if you consider in French the four labials p-b-f-v you will see that for the gutturals k-g the counterparts of f-v are missing. Then the Arabic kha is related to k just as f is related to p, and ghain to v. The only observation they made was that the kha is pronounced with a somewhat "gargling" sound. As soon as somebody masters the kha he could practise with ffffff -vvvvvv khkhkhk - ghghghgh . I made some people to try it out and the result was quite reasonable. Curiously enough when you pronounce kha and gha without this gargling, you can also master Dutch "ch" in "kachel" and "g" in "gaan" (although they sound equally in some regions of Holland).As for native speakers of Arabic who have problems with the difference between "ra" and "ghain" , I heared such a statement from a Moroccan friend when I started to learn Moroccan Arabic. He was from Fez and he said the difference between both sounds was a little bit difficult for him.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 6 of 6
26 September 2016 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Al-Malik wrote:
I take it that the link you provided claims that "ra" is pronounced as "ghain"

I... couldn't believe that "ghain" is treated as an "r". It sounds nothing like "r". Isn't it closer to "g" than to "r"? Like, when you say "bingo!".

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version