multilinguae.wordpreRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5812 days ago

29 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanB1
Studies: ItalianA2, DutchA2, FrenchA2, Mandarin

Message 33 of 173
12 August 2008 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
Very funny experiences ^^.
Once I was in Zürich with some friends (all Spanish) having a bier when a couple of girls passed by, then we all shouted "GUAPAS!!" (Beauty) when they turned around and said "Somos de Salamanca" (We´re from Salamanca (Spain)). Funny and unexpected :oP
3 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5923 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 34 of 173
14 September 2008 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
My family is Greek and when out in public we often use Greek as a secret language. Fortunately, almost no one speaks it here (or none that we've come across) so we haven't had any unfortunate incidents like some of the above posts.
1 person has voted this message useful

izan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Spain
letmewritealittlebit
Joined 5650 days ago

20 posts - 34 votes
1 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Basque*, EnglishC1, FrenchC1
Studies: German

Message 35 of 173
06 November 2008 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
I was once in a supermarket in Vancouver with a friend of mine (we were on vacation in Canada). We were talking in Basque about the quite dubious quality of some of the vegetables there when a woman approached us and told that we were the first Basque speakers she had met since she left the Basque country 10 years before. Coincidentally, few hours later, another Basque man who lived in Vancouver stopped us and told us exactly the same. I wonder how many Basque people live in Vancouver and do not know about each other's existence just because they don't have the chance to speak Basque with anyone else.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 173
07 November 2008 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
My family is Greek and when out in public we often use Greek as a secret language. Fortunately, almost no one speaks it here (or none that we've come across) so we haven't had any unfortunate incidents like some of the above posts.

Maybe the Greeks around you just didn't react? During my travels around the world I have several times met individuals or groups who spoke Danish, and normally I don't choose not disclose my own nationality - I travel to see foreign places and meet foreign people, not other Danes. And remember, there are only 5 mio. of us - Greeks are much more common.

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6440 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 37 of 173
07 November 2008 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
I wonder how well Latin would work as a secret language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Talairan
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6373 days ago

194 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*, Gypsy/Romani, Dutch
Studies: Spanish, Flemish, Galician, Aramaic

Message 38 of 173
07 November 2008 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
SamD wrote:
I wonder how well Latin would work as a secret language.

So long as you didn't try it in the Vatican ;)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Aquedita
Triglot
Poland
myspace.com/aqueda_v
Joined 5795 days ago

154 posts - 164 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 39 of 173
08 November 2008 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
In some time my friend from Sweden who can speak English, Swedish, Japanese and Mandarin will visit me. If we speak Japanese in Poland it will feel like a secret language, but we met in Japan so we spoke English there with broken Chinese. Unless we got drunk, then we would somehow switch to Japanese any way :P

Sydney
Groupie
Yugoslavia
Joined 6233 days ago

58 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Serbian

Message 40 of 173
08 November 2008 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
This is a slight twist on the topic-- I know a guy who lives in the USA who is accustomed to using Serbo-Croatian as a "secret language" and being able to make cracks about the Americans around him. Well one time there was an American girl he worked with standing next to him and he said to our group of ex-Yugoslavs, "She's put on a lot of weight!" And then he turned bright red when he realized he was still speaking English! Whoops.

Personally I think it's best to avoid the practice of speaking about the people around you assuming that they won't understand, it can only lead to trouble!

11 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 173 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version