19 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Martien
Heptaglot
Netherlands
martienvanwanrooij.n
Joined 6918 days ago

134 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, Spanish, Turkish, Italian, French
Studies: Portuguese, Serbo-Croatian, Latin, Swedish, Arabic (Written)

Message 9 of 19
15 June 2005 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
Nephilim,
I think it is just a good mix of enough grammar, lots of exercises, and conversations that can be useful in everyday situations. When I try to get a more thorough knowledge of the language I often buy both the Assimil and the TYS volume. Older TYS volumes (1950-1980) had a more theoretical approach and they are often sold in second hand bookshops, the adventage of these older ones is a more systematical approach of the whole grammar but there are less dialogues. E.g. in highly inflected languages they start with the nominative and end with the instrumental, then they discuss verbs but the exercises are more suitable for a good grammar drill then for practical purposes, they offer sentences like "the green box is in front of the white table" :)
I still should mention that some of the "newer" TYS volumes are split up in an absolute beginners' level and a more advanced level where the first five or six lessons offer a kind of survival guide for tourists. This method is followed in the volumes about Finnish, Swahili, Modern Greek and Hungarian.There is a statement on these volumes that they are based on the Council of Europe's Threshold guidelines on language learning.
1 person has voted this message useful

Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6958 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 10 of 19
15 June 2005 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Martien,

I remember some of the old style Teach Yourself books because about 10 years ago I had one on Polish. I found it to be very structure based with lots of translating practice - usually of pointless sentences that I could could never get into a conversation. A classic example being: "I can't go to the cinema until I have fed all my pigs." Well.... I've been in Poland for some 13 yeras now and I have never been able to get that expression into a conversation. I really wnated to because it was so bizarre.

I find the newer books more useful by far as they are divided into real-life topics such as "at the post office"; "social situations"; "work and leisure" etc. They are also more fun and the grammar explanations are less academic.

As a teacher myself, I'm well aware of the Council of Europes Threshold guidlines and so I can relate to it.

Do the Teach Yourself ones now come with CD or cassettes Martien? With my Polish one I got cassettes.

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6934 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 11 of 19
15 June 2005 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
Sorry for cutting in but maybe I'm in a better position to answer your question about the CDs, being a TY author myself. I think that they are moving towards having all their courses on CDs. There is going to be a re-release of many titles as CD versions in October (I think).

Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6958 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 

Message 12 of 19
16 June 2005 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
not at all - thanks you for your input Chris. I had no idea that the courses were all moving towards CD's. The quality of CD's has never been in doubt and it's nice just to be able to get to the place you want without rewinding/fastforwarding. The only problem I have with CD's is they are not so good for walking/running as they tend to bounce all over the place. But that's a small hassle considering the quality.

Which ones have you authored Chris, by the way?

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6934 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 13 of 19
16 June 2005 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
'Teach Yourself Indonesian' with Eva Nyimas and I am currently working on 'Teach yourself Malay' to be released in October, that's how I know something is going on then.
Do you mind me asking what languages you are interested in?

onebir
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6976 days ago

484 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 14 of 19
18 June 2005 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
Maybe this is an aside, but judging from the reviews on Amazon, the quality of the Colloquials varies quite a lot (both the Turkish and Indonesian ones come in for a bit of a slating).

Incidentally, I think 'Teach Yourself Indonesian' is better than 'Teach Yourself Turkish' - based on the first third of the former.

So I think it's worth discussing the individual courses a bit rather than the just the series.

Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6958 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 

Message 15 of 19
18 June 2005 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Well, I have Colloquials for Czech, German, French and Russian. They're a good way into your chosen language but some of them fall short on vocabulary and have only about 1,500 words.

I don't know that many of the Teach yourself ones - except for the archaic Polish one I had about 10 years ago.

caroline
United Kingdom
Joined 6924 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 16 of 19
23 June 2005 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
I have Colloquial Polish and I find it quite good - lots of dialogues to
introduce vocabulary and grammatical structures. My only complaint is
that they sell the audio CDs separately from the book (I don't think one is
much use without the other). I would definitely recommend it as a method