Diglot
United States
Joined 6367 days ago

126 posts - 175 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Polish, Latin, French

Message 1 of 8
26 September 2007 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
On September 16th Dr. Arguelles has suggested starting a language club in the San Francisco Bay Area similar to the one Barry Farber had founded in New York and describes in his book.

It does not look like anyone else on the forum has confirmed that they reside in the Bay Area and are interested in joining in. I am not sure whether this is due to the topic being buried too deeply in the discussion thread, or if the forum truly has no one else near San Francisco. So, I am opening a separate thread to give the topic more visibility.

Here is the initial information about the Language Club:
* Barry Farber’s How to Learn any Language, pages 141-143 of the Appendix
* The Language Club of Westchester: http://www.westchesterlanguageclub.org/index.htm
* Language Club Network at the Linguists' Federation: http://www.linguistsfederation.com/

Anyone interested in attending the initial Language Club meeting, please respond!

1 person has voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7154 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 8
26 September 2007 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
I think Barry Farber's club meets once a week in a French restaurant and the meal is offered as part of the membership. The most popular languages, as far as I remember, are French, German and Italian.
How would you guys set it up in the Bay area?
Where would you meet up?
How often?
What membership types would be offered?
Which languages do you think will be most popular?

Anyway, good luck and I hope you can get Ardaschir on board!

Cherepaha
Diglot
United States
Joined 6367 days ago

126 posts - 175 votes 

Message 3 of 8
26 September 2007 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
administrator wrote:
I think Barry Farber's club meets once a week in a French restaurant and the meal is offered as part of the membership. The most popular languages, as far as I remember, are French, German and Italian.
How would you guys set it up in the Bay area?
Where would you meet up?
How often?
What membership types would be offered?
Which languages do you think will be most popular?

Anyway, good luck and I hope you can get Ardaschir on board!

Thank you for the kind words, Francois!

What you are asking are all excellent questions. The goal of the first Language Club meeting would be to establish what our answers would be, and we will then post them on this forum, in case any of the non-Bay Area members will be passing by and would want to pay a visit.

Ardaschir’s participation is assumed, seeing as the Club was his idea. Dr. Arguelles?

Here is what I want to propose for the initial meeting (any suggestions/changes from the attending members are most welcome):
Meeting place: Café Roma in Berkeley (at the corner of College Ave. and Ashby)
Meeting day/time: TBD
Agenda:
1.Introductions
2.Review of Barry Farber’s concept
3.Decisions on the Bay Area Club format
4.Decisions on the day/time and venue for the regular Club meetings
5.Discuss venues for advertising the Club to attract more members (Craig’s list,
UC Berkeley campus, etc.)
6.Discuss the creation of the Language Club’s Web site (my 15 year old daughter has
volunteered to be a web developer and has already put together an outline of the
home page. According to her, we still need the name :) !)

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6635 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 4 of 8
27 September 2007 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm in the Bay Area, and my company's office isn't too far from there, altho' I live/work across the bay. Sounds interesting.

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7034 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 5 of 8
30 September 2007 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
Of course I will be happy to attend the initial meeting. I am pleased that someone with such evident organizational abilities is so interested in the idea. I did not have any agenda in mind when I suggested it. I simply happened to have come across that reference again, and my chain of thought led me from “if I still lived in New York, I would certainly investigate this” to “what if it existed in San Francisco…?” Now that I think more about it, I might simply enjoy meeting to talk, say in a park, than to talk and to eat in a restaurant. However, if that would draw significantly more people, then maybe we could actually contact the New Yorkers for advice.

Cherepaha
Diglot
United States
Joined 6367 days ago

126 posts - 175 votes 

Message 6 of 8
04 October 2007 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
A talk in the park sounds nice. If the group is to meet on a week day after work (as the New Yorkers do), we will have to figure out how to work around the early sun-down in the winter, but until then we should be able to give the park option a try and see what comes out of it.

iieee
Groupie
United States
dreaminginturkish.bl
Joined 6365 days ago

78 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, German

Message 7 of 8
05 October 2007 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
I am in the San Francisco Bay Area... but I am no polyglot. My second language is Turkish. I'm not sure what the club would consist of.. if it was multi-lingual conversation I would be left out for sure. But I would love to meet other people who are interested in languages.

Andrea

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7034 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 8 of 8
08 October 2007 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
If the club can get any more momentum at all towards formation, I would prefer to see it evolve more along the lines of a venue specifically for conversing in foreign languages (i.e., here in the USA, not in English) than simply a live version of this kind of discussion forum, however interesting that may be. It need not be for polyglots only, however, and it would hopefully eventually be large enough that one could come in the hopes of conversing in a single foreign tongue such as Turkish.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version