Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6059 days ago

64 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 7
28 September 2007 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
For someone who already knows kanji and kana, what are your recommendations for learning japanese. I find myself more confused when follow online programs only in romanji. I realize I need to learn more vocabulary, sentence structure, etc... Do you know of any programs especially for the chinese learner? What approach and process have you used? What are the pitfalls and common mistakes?   For now, I am doing self study. But I plan to take adult classes next year. Thanks in advance.     
1 person has voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6549 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 2 of 7
28 September 2007 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
I think you might be best off finding a beginner's textbook in Chinese that covers basic grammar and core vocabulary, and includes an audio CD.

I don't know what's specifically available from Cantonese publishers, but there are a few series like Minna-no Nihongo that are based on Japanese-only workbooks with companion books in many languages to explain the grammar and vocabulary.

Edited by Captain Haddock on 28 September 2007 at 9:06am

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6075 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 3 of 7
28 September 2007 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
mytamk wrote:
For someone who already knows kanji and kana, what are your recommendations for learning
japanese. I find myself more confused when follow online programs only in romanji. I realize I need to learn
more vocabulary, sentence structure, etc... Do you know of any programs especially for the chinese learner?
What approach and process have you used? What are the pitfalls and common mistakes?   For now, I am doing
self study. But I plan to take adult classes next year. Thanks in advance.     

1. Basic Kanji Book, Chieko Kano, Publisher: Bonjinsha. Four books in the series.

You should know all the characters in the book but you could have never imagined all the pain you will be in for
learning how to use them the Japanese way. Enjoy!

2. Japanese for Everyone. Publisher: Gakken. ISBN 0-87040-853-4

mytamk
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 6059 days ago

64 posts - 68 votes 

Message 4 of 7
29 September 2007 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
LOL.. No pain, no gain... I am always amused by the Japanese use of Kanji. Do you think shadowing would help?

sheetz
United States
Joined 6158 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 5 of 7
29 September 2007 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
I'm using Assimil Japanese with Esse and think that it would be good for someone who already knows Chinese. The dialogs are given in kanji/kana with English translations and the accompanying audio cds are entirely in Japanese.

mytamk
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 6059 days ago

64 posts - 68 votes 

Message 6 of 7
30 September 2007 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Thanks minna san. I will look into the programs. Also I love anime so I've been doing some online search for lyrics in Japanese. First I write down the Kanji and kana and slowly translate into romanji word by word. That way, I practice my kana. Singing to the song helps me w/ the pronunication. I am starting to remember kanji pronunication and sentence structures.

Fun discovery (at least for me).
dai jyou bu? are you alright? kanji actually means The Big Man or husband. LOL...
Anata. you. In kanji is expensive direction. I actually can understand that, in chinese in polite term, we ask someone," What is your expensive or treasured name.?"
For me, these are great memorization tools. I'm still using the romanji as pronunication assistance but I'm jumping into just reading Japanese.

It's actually a lot fun. Like putting a puzzle together. Pain stakingly slow but I'm getting it. It's only been a month since I started self study. Thanks again for all your input..

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 7 of 7
01 October 2016 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
mytamk wrote:

Fun discovery (at least for me).
dai jyou bu? are you alright? kanji actually means The Big Man or husband. LOL...

Wait... That "jo" in "daijobu" simply means "the"?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version