Diglot
United States
Joined 6990 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 57 of 92
22 January 2013 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
My wife and I have decided to go to an Esperanto conference in about 6 months. I'd like to get myself to a high level by then, so I'm cutting my French, Spanish, and English study time in about half and will give the extra time to Esperanto. That should ramp things up quickly on the Esperanto front.

I like the multi-course approach with multiple waves and not expecting too much out of myself from any particular pass through a course. That's been working well for French, so I'm going to really put it into action with Esperanto.

What arrows are in the quiver?

Jen Nia Mondo I recently completed my first semi-thorough pass through JNM. The last 6 chapters didn't get much attention past the dialogues. The previous 6 may have got light attention to the exercises. I listened to all the radio lessons at least once in the car. So what's next? I'm going to pick up with lesson 12 of 25 again. This time my goal is to read and listen to the whole lesson and get a good handle on the notes and exercises. Not necessarily perfect them, but at least have an intellectual understanding of everything.

Teach Yourself Esperanto Continuing my first very light pass through this book and cassette. Today I read the notes for chapter 9, but not the extended readings, and I listened to the dialogue a couple of times. I also re-listened to dialogues 4-8 and followed along with them in the book. While I was writing my French log, I let lessons 10-15 play in the background. I shifted my attention over to the audio a few times and was happy to experience that I was getting the gist well. That means I've come a long way from when I did that a couple months ago. Then, the later lessons were difficult to get much out of.

For lessons 10-15, I'll continue the current approach with some attention to the notes, skip the practice exercises and perhaps skip the longer readings, but listen and read the current a few previous dialogues.

The Junaj Trezorserĉantoj CD This is great children's story with audio available online for free. I went through it for the first time over the last 2 days. I pasted the story into http://google.translate.com which made it very easy to get most of everything with only a listen or two. I want to come back to this one, perhaps doing a chapter a day. It has a few new words, and the assimilation angle is always helpful.

Gerda Malaperis is available from http://en.lernu.net/kursoj/gerda_malaperis/index.php. It's recorded, has a transcript and a vocabulary as well as some exercises. Yesterday, I listened up through lesson 9 and it wasn't too difficult. It seemed to get harder around chapter 10. Maybe I was running out of gas. My plan here is to march forward one chapter per day. The Full Length Movie in Esperanto is on youtube.

The Esperanto Teacher I have this book on my iPad. It's free. I grabbed the audio from librivox.org and truncated the silence, equalized it, compressed it, and I'm going to use this as a supplemental audio course. The lessons are short, 5-10 minutes each. There are 45 lessons and 70 audio files in total.

Esperanto Autodidakte This is a very cool direct method book all in pictures and Esperanto for beginners. http://books.google.com/books/about/Saluton_Esperanto_autodi dakte.html?id=EnVjAAAACAAJ I plan to go through a couple pages whenever I visit la necesejo.

Paŝoj al plena posedo This is a reader by famous Esperantist, William Auld. It has 40 steps in about 140 pages, so the readings are short. There is a word list with synonyms for la novaj vortoj for a reader who has completed his Esperanto - A New Approach book as an introduction to the language.

That seems like plenty of resources, doesn't it?

Edited by luke on 22 January 2013 at 1:27am

2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6990 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 58 of 92
23 January 2013 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
Today I reviewed chapter 13 in Jen Nia Mondo and read and listened to chapter 14 a couple of times.

I read the notes from lesson 10 in Teach Yourself Esperanto. I also listened to and read the dialogues from 4-10.

I listened to a couple of lessons in the Esperanto Teacher. I think I'm on lesson 3 now.

I listened to an Esperanto podkasto from Russia last night. I can get the gist, but my comprehension isn't what I want it to be.

In Esperanto Autodidakte, I'm on page 38.

That's a lot of work, and with the Assimil French lessons and a bit of FSI Spanish, I feel a bit stretched. I think I'll take French a bit easier than I did today.

Edited by luke on 24 January 2013 at 10:25am

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6990 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 59 of 92
29 January 2013 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
In Jen Nia Mondo I've been hitting the dialogues 13-25. I'm getting a little antsy with the course, so I'm going to try to get the dialogues down a little more, but not necessarily spend much more time on the teaching language at this point. I'm ready for a Pasaporto al la Tuta Mondo...

Although I feel like I have been doing a lot of Esperanto lately, you wouldn't know it if I confessed I've only completed one more lesson (11 of 15) since the previous post.

With the Esperanto Teacher recordings I'm on lesson 7. Someone could create a lot of translation exercises from the Librivox recordings with Audacity. I haven't taken that task on. I don't think it will be necessary, although it would be helpful to go through them...

I give a little attention to Gerda Malaperis each day. Today I'm listening to lesson 18 of 25. It seems like a valuable course knowing the philosophy of its author.

With the Esperanto Autodidakte book I'm on page 80 of about 194. I still like this book a lot.

I bought Pasaporto al la Tuta Mondo and it arrived in the mail. Sixteen episodes as one would expect from the video out there on youtube. It also has a transcript and a set of exercises for each lesson. I am seriously threatening to replace Jen Nia Mondo with this more up to date course... Not only does it have a lot of audio, in addition to the video of course, the exercises appear to be more comprehension oriented than grammar centric, which I find appealing. Oddly, a lot of Esperanto courses seem to focus a lot on rules and grammar. Back in the olden days when a course might have only an hour of dialogue, that may have been an efficient approach, but it seems to me that in this new video world and course, grammar will be assimilated by extensive examples. There is some grammar in the videos, but it seems the videos are really the heart of the course. I wonder how that aspect would compare to French in Action.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5166 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 60 of 92
30 January 2013 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
My wife and I have decided to go to an Esperanto conference in about 6 months.

Saluton!

Which event are you planning to attend? I was at the Junulara Esperantista Semajno (JES) in Germany over the holidays. I had a blast and met loads of interesting people there (including Tim Morley, whom you mention in an earlier post, Benny, Sprachprofi, etc.). I really recommend it.

Most events allow for people to make short (under one hour) presentations on a topic of general interest (prelegoj). If you can, try to plan ahead and start thinking about possible presentations you could give, and start working towards that! I gave a joint presentation with Sprachprofi on effective language learning and another presentation on my own about the differences between European and Québécois French. It's a great way to boost language skills!

Cheers!
Alexandre
3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6990 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 61 of 92
30 January 2013 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Which event are you planning to attend? I was at the Junulara Esperantista Semajno (JES) in Germany over the holidays. I had a blast and met loads of interesting people there (including Tim Morley, whom you mention in an earlier post, Benny, Sprachprofi, etc.). I really recommend it.

Most events allow for people to make short (under one hour) presentations on a topic of general interest (prelegoj). If you can, try to plan ahead and start thinking about possible presentations you could give, and start working towards that! I gave a joint presentation with Sprachprofi on effective language learning and another presentation on my own about the differences between European and Québécois French. It's a great way to boost language skills!

Doing a 1 hour presentation would be quite a challenge at my current level. I have about 5 months before the event. It is the Esperanto-USA National Convention. I wish I had a good link for it, but most of the http://www.esperanto-usa.org/ website is password protected.

Lately I've also been listening to some Claude Piron talks in Esperanto.

Edited by luke on 31 January 2013 at 9:28pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6990 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 62 of 92
07 February 2013 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
The last week of so I've been hitting the following courses:

Jen Nia Mondo I did finish up another trip through the course, although the last 6 or 7 lessons didn't get much book attention. I did hit the dialogues pretty well though. I'm going through it again and am being rather thorough. Today, I shadowed lesson 6 (of 25) and reviewed 5. I've been reading the lessons again and mentally going through the exercises. I do that silently when my wife is around, and out loud when I'm alone. Out loud is better.

Teach Yourself Esperanto has fallen off the radar this past week. I got up to about dialogue 11 of 15.

Gerda Malaperis has been getting some action. I generally look at the vocabulary for one chapter and listen to it a few times throughout the day. Today was chapter 12 of 25. I'll definitely want to go through this again.

The Esperanto Teacher by Helen Fryer gets some listening in the car from the Librivox recordings and some book reading on the iPad from the Gutenberg.org library. There are a lot of translation exercises in the book, but they are disjointed. Being able to do all of them would definitely bring up my level, but that isn't on the todo list at this point. I just want to get through the book once first. I'm on lesson 14 of 45 in the book and recording 11 of 70 or so.

Karlo is another lernolibro. I'm on chapter 2. I like to paste the text in translate.google.com to pickup the unknown words.

Esperanto Autodidakte is still enjoyable. I'm on page 104 of 194. I'm not writing out the exercises. I do them mentally most of the time (out loud when I'm alone). This is a direct method book and I like it.

I want an occasional Esperanto video on youtube or listen to Esperanto Radio in the background once in a while.

Pasaporte al la Tuta Mondo should be my new course. I watched video 3 of 16 last night. I did the exercises for lesson 1. I read the transcript away from the video, and that is helpful. I'll probably continue to hit the videos and transcript a lot harder than the exercises. I also listen to an mp3 of the audio in the car. All helpful.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6990 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 63 of 92
13 February 2013 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
What I've been doing over the last week or so with Esperanto.

Pasaporte al la Tuta Mondo is a major focus right now. I watched lesson 7 of 16 today. I've been looking at the transcripts for unknown words and looking them up on http://lernu.net/, which has a great eo->en (Esperanto to English) dictionary. Typically there may be 6 words I don't know in each episode, although I generally understand the words without looking them up from the story's context. I'm very hopeful that this course will make a real difference. The character Georgo and the Stulta Detektivo are delightful actors, and that helps. There's also a good bit of Esperanto trivia referenced, as well as subtle details of the drama to pick up.

A Complete Grammar of Esperanto by Ivy Kellerman Reed is new to me this week. I'm on lesson 8 of 60 today. It has more flowing reading sections starting with lesson 5. It's more grammar heavy, but I don't mind getting familiar with grammatical terms or having them explained. The first 4 lessons are recorded at Librivox. I wish the whole thing was out there.

La Bona Lingvo by Claude Piron is an interesting book about Esperanto. I'm on page 17 of 108. This one is worth reading more than once.

Jen Nia Mondo I continue another thorough trip through the course. I read the lesson, shadow the dialogue with and without the text. I'm currently on lesson 10 of 25.

Gerda Malaperis I finished my first real fairly thorough run through the audio/book. By that I mean that I didn't let my mind wander too much. I've also started shadowing it in the car. I want to keep this in the current rotation to get more comfortable with everything, including the story itself.

The Esperanto Teacher I'm trying to keep my reading more in sync with the recordings, although I use them in seperate sessions. Currently on recording 17 of 70.

Karlo I'm on chapter 5 of 20 - first time through.

Esperanto Autodidakte I'm on page 136 of 194. This is a cool book.

Teach Yourself Esperanto I listened to the dialogue for chapter 11. My cassette recording seems to be sped up a bit because not only are the voices fast, the actors sound like chipmunks. I'd like to convert it to mp3 at some point. That would make slowing the audio down easy.

Edited by luke on 14 February 2013 at 9:07am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6990 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 64 of 92
20 February 2013 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
Here is what I've been doing over the last week in Esperanto.

Pasaporte al la Tuta Mondo has become a major focus right now. I finished up lesson 14-16 of 16 this morning. For the last 4 lessons or so, I didn't look up many unknown words nor follow the transcript too closely. That just made it a bit harder to pick up on some details. I'll be going through the course again, but I think I'll start with lessons 13-16 first, as that's where most of the stuff to learn is for me.

A Complete Grammar of Esperanto by Ivy Kellerman Reed: I'm still on lesson 8 of 60, so I apparently didn't do anything with it over the last week.

La Bona Lingvo by Claude Piron remains on my high interest list. I'm on page 21 of 108. I did skim ahead a lot and restarted it from the beginning as well, but how think I should just pick up on page 21 and continue to plow through it this first time. One can't get to the end without going through the middle.

Jen Nia Mondo I continue another thorough trip through the course. This is at least the 4th pass. I read the lesson and shadow the dialogue usually with the book. I'm currently on lesson 14 of 25.

Gerda Malaperis I'm on my second trip through the book. I listen/shadow this in the car, and listen/read with the book.

The Esperanto Teacher Currently on recording 23 of 69. I like to support this with the book when I can.

Karlo I'm on chapter 9 of 20 - first time through.

Esperanto Autodidakte I'm on page 161 of 194. I don't see myself going through this one again. I've got to start clearing some of these courses off my plate.

Teach Yourself Esperanto I listened to the dialogues for chapters 12-15 and quickly reviewed the vocabulary.

Other Stuff I've started thinking to myself in Esperanto at times. I probably should have been doing this all along. It has been happening spontaneously at times, but I can see finding more of my own personal needs for expression if I force myself to carry on an inner dialogue.

Edited by luke on 20 February 2013 at 3:32pm

This discussion contains 92 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version