Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6926 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 10 of 35
17 June 2005 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
You might want to think for yourself at this point Czech. ;-)
1 person has voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7002 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 11 of 35
17 June 2005 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
This is a presumption. It is like singing the words of a song when listening. No pauses inbetween that. More reenforcement if you could also read the lyrics.

:-)

Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6926 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 12 of 35
18 June 2005 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
Czech,

I'm terribly sorry, but I think I must have mis-read your post. I thought it said 'walking' or 'pacing' - the two seem so similar as to be negligible - hence my humorous reply. I now see you are asking WHY? Well. . . I happen to know that Ardaschir explains why it is important to move around while you are shadowing but I can't seem to find the post - perhaps the administrator can help here.

It might be an idea to type in shadowing as a search and then look for one of Ardaschir's masterly posts.

Just as an interesting example, about 6 or so years ago I decided I wanted to learn French. I only actually got as far as lesson one because my plans changed. I began learning during the summer holidays, and, as I used to go for walks in the forests near where I lived I listened to my French tape on my walkman to make use of the time. After a while, I could repeat along with the few dialogues in lesson one. I now know this is called shadowing - I didn't then.

As I said, I only did lesson one and that only for a week but the funny thing is I can still remember the dialogue after all these years and when the dialogue pops into my head so does my route through the forest. Weird, or what?

I really do think shadowing helps with language acquisition. Has anybody had similar experiences I wonder?

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5861 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 13 of 35
19 April 2008 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
I have just read this Topic

I am going to start shadowing.

Do you NEED an audio tape

I'm going to experiment. Im going to read from a book (language learning) and record it, check it with a native speaker that i have correct pronounciation, and then memorize the whole dialogue from that.

Hmm, i actually wonder if this would work with a book written in a foreign language.

TEL

awake
United States
Joined 6417 days ago

406 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 14 of 35
20 April 2008 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
It would be VASTLY better to have the native speaker do the recording for you.   Part of shadowing is that you
want to be able to match the pronunciation and rhythm of native speakers to help you develop a good
pronunciation model. If you shadow your own voice, especially from a recording made while you are a beginner,
you'll fossilize your pronunciation errors.   Also, asking native speakers "How good is my pronunciation" is a
dangerous question to ask. Some people simply are afraid to insult you, so they'll tell you that you have a great
accent even if you are barely understandable.    So yes, it's better to have recordings of native speakers with
transcripts for use in shadowing.

TheElvenLord wrote:
I have just read this Topic

I am going to start shadowing.

Do you NEED an audio tape

I'm going to experiment. Im going to read from a book (language learning) and record it, check it with a native
speaker that i have correct pronounciation, and then memorize the whole dialogue from that.

Hmm, i actually wonder if this would work with a book written in a foreign language.

TEL

awake
United States
Joined 6417 days ago

406 posts - 438 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 15 of 35
20 April 2008 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
czech wrote:
Why while walking or pacing?

Because according to the experiments of some of the users here, especially our esteemed Professor A., it has been
found to be more effective for many people (though perhaps not everyone).   Why is it more effective?   who knows.
Perhaps it's activating more of your brain during the learning process than just sitting at a desk would.   Perhaps
it's something that helps keep your mind from wandering.   Incidentally, Professor A. has posted videos of himself
doing the shadowing process, and he "power-walks" in a very focused, deliberate way. He's not out for a leisurely
stroll through the woods, he's marching in an almost military style. When you do shadowing, you want to do it
with intent.

ixtok
Australia
Joined 6078 days ago

29 posts - 24 votes

Message 16 of 35
21 April 2008 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
Is shadowing speaking in unison with the recording, or is it repeating the sentence or phrase at the end of that sentence or phrase?

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version