Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
167 messages over 21 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 20 21 Next >>
xtremelingo
Trilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6069 days ago

398 posts - 515 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi*, Punjabi*
Studies: German, French, Arabic (Written)

Message 9 of 167
04 October 2007 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
LlyodKirk,

Quote:

Honestly, I never understood why people actually dedicate time to vocab learning. It's much easier learning vocab in a context like reading a book, listening to the news,etc...

How can you read a book in a new language that you have zero knowledge/vocabulary of in context? You will pick up ZERO. This is in fact inefficient. Even more difficult if you are studying a language that has a different script, i.e. Hindi, Arabic, Mandarin etc.

I rather learn quickly 600-1000 high frequency words OUT of context, so that when I read I can recognize the flow of these words and how they pattern, sequence together to form meaning. Then pulling words out of context is much simpler.

Edited by xtremelingo on 04 October 2007 at 12:07pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

xtremelingo
Trilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6069 days ago

398 posts - 515 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi*, Punjabi*
Studies: German, French, Arabic (Written)

Message 10 of 167
04 October 2007 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 

I would like to add one note,

If the system appears 'complicated' at first, it is only because I have outlined very detailed steps. You will notice once you get used to doing this, that it will come very quick and easy to you. Don't let details make it feel complicated, I only done that to provide explanations, instead of just do this, do that, etc.

1 person has voted this message useful

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6168 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 
Speaks: Latin*

Message 11 of 167
04 October 2007 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Wow, this reads like a description of an extremely complex magic trick with cards!

I'm with Leosmith on this one - it's a hugely complex attempt to recreate a spaced repetition system.

Besides, 'maintaining exposure to previous words' doesn't really work as one will quickly become blind to these items... unless one is paying special attention to them. And this is where we are back with a good old spaced repetition system...

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6432 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 12 of 167
04 October 2007 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
I'll give it a shot tonight and share my experience. I only have about an hour, though, so it will probably just be test of having to write out the words.

Disclaimer, I have a fairly high tolerance for repetitive work, at least in the short run. Plus, I enjoy writing in Gujarati script, so my experiences will be tainted by that, I bet.

If I get through the initial preparation part of it and can begin using it, I'll report back in this thread.

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6124 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 13 of 167
04 October 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
You can actually do that by using a software and separating words into categories, then ask the software to only ask words from specific categories. Exactly the same result if not even better.

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6432 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 14 of 167
04 October 2007 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
I just want to add that I've done flashcards before and I've done spaced repetition programs as well. I like them all and like changing between them for variety. So learning one more way of doing it isn't going to stunt my language growth.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 167
04 October 2007 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
Even if I'd rather not make "real" cards, I definitely see a point with this do-it-yourself approach. People here write wordlists, and I myself have manually copied the entire textbook I used while learning Russian (an "exercise" I felt was very rewarding).

But for the flashcard approach - I prefer software.
3 persons have voted this message useful

edwin
Triglot
Canada
towerofconfusi&Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6246 days ago

160 posts - 183 votes 
9 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French, Spanish, Portuguese

Message 16 of 167
04 October 2007 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Xtremelingo,

Please, not again. Don't tell us to try it first. Many of us already have our own working systems.

Why would one want to pick your approach other than other much simpler yet effective spaced repetition methods, such as the Leitner system?

Please explain the advantages of your system over the others.

Edited by edwin on 04 October 2007 at 3:38pm

This discussion contains 167 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version