167 messages over 21 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 20 21 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 49 of 167
06 October 2007 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
Have you tried flashcard software? In most programs you can choose yourself if you want to do native->target or target->native, and I don't see how this can make you learn the word only passively (if you choose native->target, of course).
1 person has voted this message useful

xtremelingo
Trilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6067 days ago

398 posts - 515 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi*, Punjabi*
Studies: German, French, Arabic (Written)

Message 50 of 167
06 October 2007 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
I may code online software on my Coldfusion server to demonstrate this concept for anyone whom is interested can use for free. I have experience in developing education/learning software, it comes pretty easy to me. It might take some time though.

I hope it may be to the benefit of some people on this forum. And of course, it will be free. Just don't kill my bandwidth please!! :)

Don't expect it to be glittery, my artistic skills are lacking. It will be simple, very bare-bones and will just do the 'job' so to speak to help people learn this memorization technique over the computer, if they are interested.

Especially for those that don't like to use paper-based flashcards, they can still enjoy the same method computerized specifically with the outlined memorization format. At least this will help "automate" things, as I know many people here are into automated style forms of learning.

PROGRAM DETAILS:

The program will input a vocabulary list in a comma-delimited text-file format for 100, 200, 400 to eventually 600 words using the technique I described. It will then drill using both methods outlined in thread using your own list in the language of your choice.

This way, it will save you time from making your own paper flash-cards if you want to use this memorization technique and if your existing flashcard program does not offer flexibility of developing unique memorization order/patterns.

Although the original outlined methods I believe are more effective in the standard paper-based format, I will integrate it in the form of simple easy-to-use software.

Stay tuned.

Edited by xtremelingo on 06 October 2007 at 2:23pm

BelgoHead
Belgium
Joined 6083 days ago

120 posts - 119 votes 
Studies: French, English*
Studies: Esperanto

Message 51 of 167
06 October 2007 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
sounds good xtremeligo, you'r lists will be avalable soon? What language?

Yukamina
Canada
Joined 6044 days ago

281 posts - 332 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean, French

Message 52 of 167
06 October 2007 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
I used a method similar to this to quickly memorize the readings of Japanese kanji a while ago. I made a group of 10-20 cards(nothing fancy, so it doesn't take long), flipped through them until I could remember them all(only takes a few minutes, since the pile is small).
Then I make another group, go through that and add it to the first. Then review them together and make another pile... I learned A LOT in a relatively short period of time. I think the key to saving time, is not to spend to much time making the cards.

Spaced repetition programs are great, but they can be slow. I can enter 30 cards maybe, and review them, but not see them again till the next day or later. But I can't add, say, 100, and be able to get through them all in one go.
However, I discovered I can learn twice as many words in Mnemosyne by doing 30 cards in the morning and 30 at night. Words added at night are reviewed in the morning, and vice versa.

As a side note, since I'm learning Japanese, it's really tough to learn from context. If I see a new kanji word, chances are I won't know how to pronounce it, no matter how many times it comes up. It can like trying to read something with _____ spots all over. So I think I'll use this paper flash card method combined with Mnemosyne. The more words, the better...

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6052 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 53 of 167
06 October 2007 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
I knew a man who was in the Royal Air Force in the 1950s, when there was still National Service (conscription) in Britain. He was one of a number of RAF recruits who was selected for Russian-language training. He told me that during training the teacher issued a Russian vocabulary sheet every week, which had to be memorised. He said that there were about 200 Russian words on a typical weekly sheet. I don't recall how long he was in training, though his description of the course suggested it was very intensive.   

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6455 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 54 of 167
07 October 2007 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
I use post-its with my target words. I stick them all over my house and I change its from time to time, but prefer to use the words in short sentences.

I work with wordlists and bilingual dictioaries as well.
2 persons have voted this message useful

xtremelingo
Trilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6067 days ago

398 posts - 515 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi*, Punjabi*
Studies: German, French, Arabic (Written)

Message 55 of 167
08 October 2007 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
All :

I am almost done coding this new language program. It should be able to work for :

French,German,Italian,Russian,Mandarin,Korean, Arabic,Persian,Hindi, Punjabi, I've tested these so far, but it should work for many.

Like all software, it requires alot of testing and bug removal. So I am looking for people that wish to alpha-test this program in it's first stage.

Everyone is welcome to help in this project in whatever way they can if they are interested -- as this is an endeavour that will be realized with the ideas, input and suggestions of everyone (the more the better!) and their methods of learning. Since everybody speaks various different native languages, virtually anyone can help! If interested, drop me a line here or PM.

Consider this a software research project being conducted by the forum members of "How to Learn Any Language.com"

What do you get out of it? A nice mention in the credits section. :)

The default language is Punjabi (out of respect, and I am teaching my gf) as that is my native language and often does not get alot of exposure. :)

However, this program should work for just about any language you are learning.

Edited by xtremelingo on 08 October 2007 at 4:11pm

CaoMei513
United States
Joined 6625 days ago

110 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 56 of 167
08 October 2007 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Is this a joke? I didnt think people actually learned individual words anymore...

This discussion contains 167 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version