alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7031 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 1 of 12
03 October 2007 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
I have become somewhat interested in a language called Chavacano. It is a creole language and it has (mainly) Spanish, some Cebuano and Tagalog vocabulary. The grammar are native languages of the Philippines. The thing I would like to know is if the Spanish speaking members on this forum can follow the language without difficulty.

Remember this language is not Spanish and nor is it meant to be. What I would refer it to is Afrikaans and Dutch.

In Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chavacano

Spanish report http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-M4ML5SLg

Sorry I don't post a link. I am still unaware how.

Edited by alang on 04 October 2007 at 12:51pm

1 person has voted this message useful

vuisminebitz
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6384 days ago

86 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: Yiddish, English*, Spanish
Studies: Swahili

Message 2 of 12
05 October 2007 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
I can get the meaning of most nouns and almost all the verbs but I can't tell the who, what and when as all of the verb endings are different. The grammar is totally foreign, all I could tell was that the word na meant something like in. Interesting. The website had several varieties all treated like the same language, one was entirely comprehensible except for the vowel endings, one of the other ones had really difficult vocabulary, some foreign words and words that have fallen out of modern Spanish. It looks very interesting, don't know how won would go about learning it though. I believe that there is another language spoken in the Phillipines that is closer to regular Spanish but I could be wrong.   

vuisminebitz
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6384 days ago

86 posts - 108 votes 

Message 3 of 12
05 October 2007 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
*verb endings

vuisminebitz
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6384 days ago

86 posts - 108 votes 

Message 4 of 12
05 October 2007 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
*one

manny
Triglot
United States
Joined 6168 days ago

248 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Tagalog
Studies: French, German

Message 5 of 12
05 October 2007 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
Tagalog verb conjugation changes the beginning of the verb while Spanish changes the end. Also, you may have noticed the word mga (or maga) in front of some nouns, which is meant to make the noun plural.

I’m trying to catch my 81-year old mother who was born and raised there (left 60+ years ago). She knew some speakers but she does not know Spanish.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7031 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 

Message 6 of 12
16 March 2008 at 12:22am | IP Logged 

It is easier for me to learn Spanish first, due to the resources. Cebuano on the other hand, I will be able to head back to Cebu or the Visayans for at least four months (No rush). Last year I was offered to stay in Zamboanga city for a month, but watching the news and problems taking place in the area put me off.

I listen to a Chavacano band and I really like their music. Maybe when I learn Spanish and Cebuano the intelligibility will be over 80%. I hope so, but speaking is a different story.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7031 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 

Message 7 of 12
13 November 2012 at 5:08am | IP Logged 

I am bumping this thread after many years, as Dunwoody Press recently came out with a Chavacano Reader. It does not have an audio component, but I did try to get a hold of the authors presumably in Zamboanga city. I put a request to have a native speaker read out loud the passages and have a cd created. The more audio the better.

Presumably on wikipedia a book and cd is being made for foreigners to learn Chavacano, but no real substantial information has come out for that particular project. My comprehension has increased, due to Spanish and a little knowledge of Cebuano, but still not 100% comprehensible.

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4321 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 8 of 12
13 November 2012 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
I already knew this language exists because I came across its Wikipedia some years ago. As a native speaker of Spanish, I can comprehend the articles, but I need to read them carefully.

It's funny to read those articles, written in the Zamboanga variety, because they sound very... well, the word is just the Spanish "chabacano", which is the name of the language in Spanish too.

Nevertheless, I stop understanding if I don't read the sentences very carefully, and even doing so some of them are difficult because of the grammar. Some sentences somehow seem to tell other things.

I don't know if it's mostly based on Mexican Spanish. I guess it's true, but some Chavacano texts sound VERY Andalusian to me.

About the very little of Chavacano I am capable to listen to in the Youtube video published above, I could understand it, but I guess it's very clear since she is running the news.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version