viky
Slovakia
Joined 6033 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Studies: English

Message 1 of 2
08 October 2007 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
Dear Dr. Arguelles,
I am seeking an advice with my lesson plan for studying languages. My mother language is Slovak and I would like to study English, Spanish, German and to add some Slavonic language. I need English for my job possibilities (also German) and for preparing for FCE exam. I would like to study other languages for own interest and enjoyment. I have daily 1-2 horus for my study. How should I plan my lessons? I don´t know whether to study 2 languages at the same time or more. I would like to know how do you plan your lessons for your study. How do you change your languages in your weekly study with the aim to mantain them and to continue with the new languages?      
1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7015 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 2 of 2
14 October 2007 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
In order to really counsel someone as you are asking me to do, I would need to know a great deal more about your educational background and maturity, particularly your prior experience in studying languages, as well as about your mindset and motivation in this undertaking. I would also need to know what materials and other resources you have available to you, and, in order to choose the most appropriate approach for you in particular, I would need to assess the general structure of your psychology as a learner.

Given what you have given me, I can only say that you should probably first and foremost concentrate on attaining absolute systematic regularity of study habits. If you can manage 120 minutes a day, you should do 60 in the morning and 60 in the evening. Indeed, if you can manage four 30 minute sessions, that would probably be even better, and for some people eight 15 minute sessions would even be ideal – provided, of course, that they are regularly interspersed throughout the day. If you must study in larger time blocks, make sure that you either study the same subject in two different ways or two different subjects all together. Whatever time blocks you choose, you should also try to schedule them at regular times each and every single day, say at 0600 and at 1800. Initially you will probably need to fight to force yourself to keep such a schedule, but if you can commit yourself and direct your psychic energies towards this goal for a brief period of time (generally several weeks to a month), you should successfully form the habit of studying. After this habit is formed, you should be carried forward by the feeling of progress, which you really simply cannot help but make if you study regularly.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version