mattgrabermusic.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6086 days ago

28 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*, Modern Hebrew, Spanish
Studies: French, German, Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 1 of 3
08 October 2007 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
Dear Prof. Arguelles,

First, I just want to thank you again for all the great contributions you've made to this forum. They're very educational and inspirational.

I don't know if this is going to be too demanding of a request, but I was wondering if it might be possible for you to make a list of the books/learning materials for different languages that you would most highly recommend for aspiring language learners. For example, I know in other threads you've mentioned Assimil's Le Swahili sans peine as a good course for Kiswahili and Russisch ohne Muehe for Russian in addition to many, many other books and methods that you've expressed your satisfaction of in many different languages.

I'm not sure if it would be too difficult or time consuming, but I think it might be a great resource for people if you were able to make a list of your recommendations for many different languages. I think this would be really helpful for all languages, and you seem to be very familiar with a multitude of books and learning materials for a huge amount of both modern and older languages.

Thank you,
Matthew
1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7043 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 2 of 3
14 October 2007 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for making this request. I have been thinking about doing this for some time. Unfortunately, it will have to wait a bit longer because I will need to go through my library systematically and at the moment that is physically impossible. I have too much material and not enough space to store it all and yet have easy access to it. Most of my books are stacked tightly into multiple rows on deep shelves, and I literally cannot see everything all at once, for in order to get at one item, I must shift many others around, which is rather frustrating.

Kugel
United States
Joined 6325 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 3
11 November 2007 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
I hope that with the list there are reviews. Amazon.com consumer reviews are the only options for knowing if a particular language program is worth the money, and who knows how many of them are fake. So a list of language programs on this website would be extremely useful for language learners.

Edited by Kugel on 11 November 2007 at 1:25pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version