solidsnake
Diglot
China
Joined 6850 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 1 of 8
14 October 2007 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
Anyone here have the stats or personal insights on the similarities and overall mutual intelligibility between these two languages?

thanks-
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 8
15 October 2007 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
Stuart Jay Raj (famous for several Youtube clips) has a blog post about "Vietnamese - Learning a New Language from Scratch (Kinda)" ( http://stujay.blogspot.com/2007/09/part-1-vietnamese-learnin g-new-language.html) in which he mentions some of the similarities he has encountered.

ElfoEscuro
Diglot
United States
cyworld.com/brahmapu
Joined 6098 days ago

408 posts - 423 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 3 of 8
17 October 2007 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
solidsnake wrote:
Anyone here have the stats or personal insights on the similarities and overall mutual intelligibility between these two languages?

Cantonese and Vietnamese are nowhere near mutually intelligible. The two languages are in completely different language families (Cantonese being a Sino-Tibetan language and Vietnamese being an Austro-Asiatic language.).
The similarities are mainly due to the fact that Vietnamese has borrowed a large portion of its vocabulary from Chinese (like Korean and Japanese). The borrowed words came from the southern varieties of Chinese which explains the resemblance to modern Cantonese as opposed to Mandarin.
Other similarities include monosyllabic phonology and similar tone systems. Vietnamese grammar is a bit different.
2 persons have voted this message useful

audiophile
Groupie
United States
Joined 4925 days ago

44 posts - 81 votes 
Studies: French

Message 4 of 8
10 May 2011 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
I've been reading the Assmil Vietnamien book for a few days now, can understand most of
its grammars and can recall many words by just one reading. It almost looks like
classical Chinese grammar! It is much closer to Chinese than Tibetan is (which I can't
see any similarity to Chinese and can't remember any words).

Many people are saying that Vietnamese is belonging to Austro Asiatic. Being a native
Chinese speaker, I really don't think so. For some reason (maybe politcal?), everyone
(Chinese, Vietnamese) wants to put them in different families.

If anyone can present me with a few Vietnamese sentences, I can match it for its
Chinese equivalent, in almost 1 word for 1 word order. That tells me they must be in
the same family. Closer than the relationship between French and English, I would say.

Edited by audiophile on 10 May 2011 at 9:05am

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5505 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 5 of 8
11 May 2011 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
audiophile wrote:
Many people are saying that Vietnamese is belonging to Austro Asiatic. Being a native
Chinese speaker, I really don't think so. For some reason (maybe politcal?), everyone
(Chinese, Vietnamese) wants to put them in different families.

If anyone can present me with a few Vietnamese sentences, I can match it for its
Chinese equivalent, in almost 1 word for 1 word order. That tells me they must be in
the same family. Closer than the relationship between French and English, I would say.

Language family relationships are based on lineage not current similarity. There is no
evidence that it and the Sinitic languages shared a common ancestor. Obviously Vietnamese has
had a great deal of Chinese influence on it, which may account for some of the similarity, but
also note that SVO is a very common word order in the region, e.g. Thai, Khmer.

I'll let someone more knowledgeable comment on the specifics, but let me just say I think
you're conflating two things: even if we agreed that they are closer than French and English,
that fact doesn't mean that they're genetically related. Some genetically related languages may
have diverged a lot, and some unrelated languages may have grown similar. It's all dependent on
what historical evidence we have at hand. If we have no evidence of a connection we simply say
so. Similarity thousands of years later is simply not sufficient.

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6103 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 6 of 8
11 May 2011 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
egill wrote:
Language family relationships are based on lineage not current similarity. There is no
evidence that it and the Sinitic languages shared a common ancestor.

I'd just like to be able to learn both of these languages. Don't really care if they are in the same language family or
not as long as I get a discount on the second one of the pair.

audiophile
Groupie
United States
Joined 4925 days ago

44 posts - 81 votes 
Studies: French

Message 7 of 8
11 May 2011 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
Maybe I should not talk in terms of the language "family", that is an academic
terminology which I do not really understand. I just want to point out that I was truly
amazed that Vietnamese is so close to Chinese.

Maybe many thousand years ago, the natives in Vietnam spoke a different language. But
China had a strong influence in Vietnam for about 2000 years, and Vietnam was directly
ruled under China for about 1000 years. So from language learning perspective, I think
this could be the easiest foreign language for a Chinese/Cantonese to learn.

Grammar wise, it is very similar to classic Chinese. Once I correlate those word
structures to the classical Chinese equivalent, I can almost understand everything
without any further grammar learning effort. For example, Assmil uses several pages to
explain those movement position words and how to combine it with another verb. They
become easy to remember once the equivalent Chinese are found (some word connection may
not be 100% correct but it helps with memory):

len (升 sheng)xuong(降 jiang) qua(过 guo) vao(入ru) den(达da) ve(归gui) ra (出chu)
di (走zou)

So the "discount" will be huge: about 70-80% of active GRAMMAR and passive vocabulary
understanding. If I learn Tibetan, if I don't know a word, I will be stuck. But in
Vietnamese, at least I can try to mimic the Chinese word in a Vientnamese tone. The
catch is, the pronunciation is very difficult. So this will still be a difficult
language to communicate those complicated topics. But as basic grammar is so simple, I
can already construct some simple sentences like "I will go restaurant tomorrow" "I
want orange juice" "She went to cinema yesterday" etc. In contrast, I still cant speak
any correct French or German sentences after years of (on and off) study!

For anyone who has an advanced knowledge of Chinese and basic knowledge of Cantonese,
please spend a few days on Vietnamese and verify it yourself. Of course, being able to
read and understand simple written sentences does not equal to communication, but it is
so fun to learn a few Vietnamese sentences. I keep on smiling all the time while
listening to the Assimil recording. This is definitely my "on sale" language. I plan to
quickly go through the Assimil book in 40 hrs (2 weeks), then listen to the recording
once a while to review the phonetics.

Edited by audiophile on 11 May 2011 at 8:48pm

jsun
Groupie
Joined 4894 days ago

62 posts - 129 votes 

Message 8 of 8
27 May 2011 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Cantonese has a bit of non-Sinitic trace in its grammar - sometimes you can see adjective after
noun, which is like AA language.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version