Groupie
Italy
Joined 5122 days ago

92 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Russian, Latvian

Message 9 of 18
24 March 2011 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
As a side note, I'm not sure that I have read anything in which Chomsky has said he only speaks English. I believe I have heard him sidestep the question of "How many languages do you speak?", but I think that should mostly be attributed to the fact that it is irrelevant to his work in linguistics (he usually tries to avoid answering irrelevant personal questions, I think). As Declan1991 has pointed out, polyglottery and linguistics do not necessarily go hand in hand and perhaps Chomsky does not desire to contribute to the general impression that they do.

That said, if I remember correctly, the introduction to the published text of the Chomsky-Foucault debate states that they decided to speak French and English respectively in order to express themselves as precisely as possible. The third person was not an interpreter, but rather the presenter - I think he is a Dutch philosopher or some other sort of intellectural figure. I know that Foucault spoke English, but I am not sure how well he did so in 1971. I have read of other situations where Chomsky answered French journalists' French language questions in English (once again, I believe for questions of accuracy), but I don't know if he actually speaks French. His passive ability must have been very high if there was no interpreter in that debate.

Chomsky's father was a very important Hebrew scholar, William Chomsky, and Chomsky learned Hebrew very well from a young age, both modern and Biblical. He did undergraduate work in Modern Hebrew and studied Arabic at that time as well. His B.A. thesis was entitled "Morphophonemics of Modern Hebrew" (revised to become his M.A. thesis). I'm quite sure that he even worked as a Hebrew teacher when he was young. Does that mean that he speaks Hebrew now? Not necessarily, but he did grow up in an environment where people spoke Hebrew, studied it throughout his youth and remains very involved in Israeli-Palestinian questions. I believe that he also used to hang out at the offices of the Freie Arbeiter Stimme, a Yiddish language anarchist newspaper, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Although Yiddish was definitely very commonly spoken in early twentieth century New York and Philadelphia. . .

Perhaps Chomsky is a closet polyglot?

Edited by etracher on 24 March 2011 at 1:43pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5060 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 10 of 18
25 March 2011 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
etracher wrote:
Perhaps Chomsky is a closet polyglot?

I bet chomsky has the original الف ليل و ليل somewhere in his secret underground polyglot layer XD It's possible that he thinks that the languages he knows isn't worth bragging about. Either way, no one can deny Chomsky as an intellectual symbol of our time regardless.
1 person has voted this message useful

Adamdm
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5225 days ago

62 posts - 89 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Dari, German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 11 of 18
25 March 2011 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
CaucusWolf wrote:
... الف ليل و ليل ...

Please explain!

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6656 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 12 of 18
25 March 2011 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
CaucusWolf wrote:
... الف ليل و ليل ...

The collection of tales "One Thousand and One Nights."

Edited by Journeyer on 25 March 2011 at 5:00am

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5060 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 13 of 18
26 March 2011 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:

CaucusWolf wrote:
... الف ليل و ليل ...

The collection of tales "One Thousand and One Nights."

Sorry about not clarifying this.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 14 of 18
29 March 2011 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
joan.carles wrote:
Under polyglots there are lists of actors, politicians, fashion people, but what about linguists themselves. Not in the sense of polyglots but the people dedicated to linguistics. It is not that obvious that all of them are or should be polyglots. We have a very well known case in Noam Chomsky, who claims that speaks only English although having changed the theory of language since the last century.

Instead, there are cases of linguists that have written books on many languages that they knew themselves. For example, Rasmus Rask, who at a certain point in his life mastered more than 20 languages and worked on a Spanish, a Frisic, an Italian...grammars.

Here are some linguists among presumably many who would probably fit the bill (per their CVs):

Lyle Campbell (SPANISH (excellent), FINNISH (excellent), German (good); FRENCH (read well, poor speaking); PORTUGUESE (read well, speak limited); Italian (read), SWEDISH (read, limited speaking), DANISH (read); CLASSICAL GREEK (Attic, Homeric), SANSKRIT, RUSSIAN (studied, no speaking competency); NAHUATL (good, field research language); K’ICHE’ (good, field research language); QUECHA (fair, field research language); MAORI (structure, poor reading knowledge); SAMOAN (course taken))

Robert DeLossa (Russian and Ukrainian (reading: near native; speaking: excellent); Spanish (reading: near native; speaking: good); French (reading: near native; speaking: fair); Polish and Serbian (reading: good; speaking: fair); Church Slavonic, German, Italian, Latin (reading ability at different levels))

Marc Greenberg (4+: Slovenian; 3+: BCMS/SC, Russian; 2+ Czech; some structural knowledge and skill in speaking and reading: Albanian, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, all other modern Slavonic languages, Yiddish; some structural knowledge and skill in reading: Finnish, Greek, Lithuanian, Mari, Sanskrit) (I presume that 2+, 3+ and 4+ refer to the ACTFL/ILR proficiency scale)

Robert Greenberg (fluent in BCMS/SC, Bulgarian, French, Hebrew, Macedonian, Russian; proficient in German and Slovenian; reading knowledge of Czech, Italian, Old Church Slavonic, Polish, Ukrainian)

Stephanie Harves (ADVANCED READING/SPEAKING/WRITING: Russian; ADVANCED SPEAKING, FAIR SPEAKING/WRITING: Czech; GOOD READING, FAIR WRITING: Slovak; GOOD READING, FAIR SPEAKING/WRITING: Bulgarian, German; GOOD READING/SPEAKING/WRITING: French)

Laura Janda (Spoken fluency in Czech and Russian; Speaking and reading ability in BCMS/SC, Bulgarian, French, German, Polish, Slovak)

György Kara (FLUENT: Khalkha; WELL-VERSED: Written/Classical Mongolian; READING: Buryat, Chinese, Daur, Ewenki, Kalmyk, Manchu, Oirat, Tibetan, Old Uygur, SPEAKING: English, German, Russian; WRITING: French) (N.B. I corresponded briefly with Prof. Kara via e-mail some time ago and he can write in English without a problem).

Beáta Wagner-Nagy (NATIVE: Hungarian; PROFICIENT: German, Russian; GOOD: Finnish; BASIC: English; GOOD READING ABILITY, BASIC SPEAKING ABILITY: Nganasan; STRUCTURAL KNOWLEDGE: Enets, Mator, Nenets, Selkup)
4 persons have voted this message useful

dragonfly
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6267 days ago

204 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, Mandarin

Message 15 of 18
31 March 2011 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
If we turn to the field of applied lingustics, many English teachers and materials designers for EFL who originally come from Britain or the US are at least at a conversational level in a number of languages, as they have the opportunity to work in different parts of the world. Michael Swan or Keith Folse are the examples, but there are quite a few who are not so famous as those.

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5128 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 16 of 18
18 April 2011 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
Sorry to interrupt the discussion here, as I do not know where else to best place what I would like to write.

Lately, I have been searching on the Internet for some university courses on linguistics, and came across books written by university professors on subjects such as "a critical perspective on multilingualism" or simply "multilingualism". When I look further at the background or CV of the professors who wrote these books (or even the academic background of the professors who supposedly teach multilingualism or head up multilingualism department at some universities), I am surprised that most of these professors are either effectively monolingual (ie. English), or at most bilingual....

Isn't that somehow not really...matching? I would think that some members in this forum are more 'suitable' to teach multilingualism to others...

Edited by noriyuki_nomura on 18 April 2011 at 11:05am

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version