William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6084 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 1 of 3
27 October 2007 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
Not a polyglot, but an interesting example of a failed linguist in fiction. Claypool is a character in Stephen Wright's Meditations In Green. He is a US soldier in the Vietnam War who has had Vietnamese-language training in the USA but finds his Vietnamese inadequate when he arrives in the country. He is present when a Viet Cong suspect is being tortured, and is disturbed by this. Later he is sent on patrol and throws his Vietnamese dictionary into the bush in disgust. He ends up having a nervous breakdown.   
1 person has voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6680 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 2 of 3
28 October 2007 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
When I went to Mexico as an exchange student, my high school Spanish (plus whatever I had been taught before it) was quite limited. I would estimate maybe a 50 or 100 word vocabulary upon my arrival in Veracruz.

There were times I thought that it was probably a good thing that I was completely immersed in the language with friends and a couple of host families, that for the most part spoke little to no English, otherwise I'd never have learned the language. That's how frustrated I got with it sometimes.

When I got home, a year later, I discovered I was much better than I thought I was! :-) But indeed, I can imagine how this character would have felt regarding his limited language skills.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6084 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 3 of 3
28 October 2007 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
Even with the languages I am fluent in, I can be thrown by an unexpected word or an unencountered accent or pronunciation. Then it is a case of "Could you repeat that, please?"

Claypool is put to work in the base kitchen so he can listen to the conversations of the Vietnamese working there - there is a suspicion they might be Viet Cong. All he discovers is that they think American hot dogs are boiled dog penises and that they love making jokes about the size of another American's nose. He is translating a North Vietnamese marching song, with considerable difficulty, when he is sent on a patrol as interpreter, which upsets him as he thought being a linguist would keep him in the base. Earlier, he is scared at how little Vietnamese he understands, because if he can't make it as a linguist he might be sent to a combat unit. He survives the patrol, throwing away his dictionary, but has a breakdown and is sent back to the USA.

I believe the author had Vietnamese-language training like Claypool, and served in Vietnam. Claypool is a minor though interesting character in the novel, and his linguistic struggles were so vividly described that they seemed autobiographical.       

Edited by William Camden on 01 November 2007 at 3:36am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version