Portugal
descredito.blogspot.
Joined 6905 days ago

216 posts - 219 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, French
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Greek

Message 1 of 18
30 October 2007 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
The French President was interviewed by CBS, but he answered all the questions in French.

So in fact...does he speak English ? Which languages does he speak apart from French and (probably) Hungarian ?
1 person has voted this message useful

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6173 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 
Speaks: Latin*

Message 2 of 18
30 October 2007 at 7:12am | IP Logged 
And why should he answer in English, pray tell?!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6452 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 3 of 18
30 October 2007 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
There are some videos on youtube where he speaks English; he doesn't speak it very well.
I doubt that he speaks Hungarian even if his father was Hungarian (I think I once read that his father more or less completely rejected Hungarian after he came to France).
I haven't heard about him speaking other languages neither.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6655 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 4 of 18
30 October 2007 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
furyou_gaijin wrote:
And why should he answer in English, pray tell?!

He doesn't have to, but during an interview, it can make things go more smoothly if everything is in a single language, provided both parties can speak that particular language well enough.
2 persons have voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7163 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 18
30 October 2007 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
He speaks English OK but definitely not Hungarian. French people reach great heights in many things but rarely languages, a very unfortunate condition discussed for the last 200 years at least.

ziedariana
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5984 days ago

19 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English, Arabic (Written)*, French, Italian
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 18
29 December 2007 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
Although I agree with Admin, that he doesn't speak Hungarian. I, personally, don't think he speaks English "OK". you can see for yourself Sarko parle Anglais. I don't speak German. But if you give me a written document, I will do a better job than Sarko.

Since a President represents an entire nation, he should always, in my opinion, speak in his native tongue, regardless of his competency level in the interviewer's language. Maybe a speech among politicians is acceptable, but when addressing a foreign nation in an impromptu interview, it is often a bad idea to try to impress them by speaking their language. Anything can be misconstrued in the attempt...When it's done flawlessly, however, it is indeed impressive; as in the case of the late Benazir Bhutto, thanks to her studies at Oxford and Harvard.

I've always hated those dubbed interviews anyway. Why can't they subtitle the event, and free us from under the mercy of the interpreters?

Edited by ziedariana on 29 December 2007 at 2:40am

3 persons have voted this message useful

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6787 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 7 of 18
04 January 2008 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
He speaks terrible English based on what I've heard.
Not even "speaks". I heard him utter a few words but not a sentence.
But what Presidents and Rulers of the world say should be very accurate so it's more prudent they speak in a language the subbtlet(ies of which they have a good command of.

By the way, does President GW Bush speak English when addressing the British ?

ziedariana wrote:
Although I agree with Admin, that he doesn't speak Hungarian. I, personally, don't think he speaks English "OK". you can see for yourself Sarko parle Anglais. I don't speak German. But if you give me a written document, I will do a better job than Sarko.

Since a President represents an entire nation, he should always, in my opinion, speak in his native tongue, regardless of his competency level in the interviewer's language. Maybe a speech among politicians is acceptable, but when addressing a foreign nation in an impromptu interview, it is often a bad idea to try to impress them by speaking their language. Anything can be misconstrued in the attempt...When it's done flawlessly, however, it is indeed impressive; as in the case of the late Benazir Bhutto, thanks to her studies at Oxford and Harvard.

I've always hated those dubbed interviews anyway. Why can't they subtitle the event, and free us from under the mercy of the interpreters?

kewms
United States
Joined 5974 days ago

160 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 8 of 18
04 January 2008 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
zorglub wrote:

By the way, does President GW Bush speak English when addressing the British ?

Why would he? He doesn't when addressing Americans.

(Not a fan.)

Katherine

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version