United States
Joined 6724 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 73 of 194
08 November 2007 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
Art wrote:
3. It is hard to separate Esperanto as a language from the Esperanto movement.

Real languages are just as hard, if not harder, to separate from their cultures. The question in both cases is whether one cares for the culture or not, although for languages with an army there may be additional considerations, for example, their usefulness for one's career.

What I am not sure about is how many authentic cultural products are to be found in Esperanto - I am not really interested in translations.

Art wrote:
4. Esperanto as a movement has a lot in common with cults.

I find this to be a weak argument. I mean, there is no human sacrifice involved, at least not yet, and if you take the sum total of the participants in this forum, it sort of looks like a cult too. Your normal person doesn't really need 12 languages any more than he or she needs Esperanto.

I actually find remush and his wife's using Esperanto at home quite neat - joint projects like that can only be good for keeping the marriage together, if both participants are equally enthusiastic about it. Mine will have to keep ticking on English for now, at least until I get around to learning Hindi, but I am sure having a second language in common could spice things up a bit, and its being a somewhat conspiratorial one, like Esperanto, would have an added allure. Pillow talk in Esperanto - why not. I hope it's been captured in Esperanto novels.

The real problem is that, unlike for Iversen, a "couple of weeks" might not be enough for me to learn Esperanto alphabet, and I have more than enough languages on my plate already.

Edited by frenkeld on 08 November 2007 at 12:01pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 74 of 194
08 November 2007 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
What I am not sure about is how many authentic cultural products are to be found in Esperanto - I am not really interested in translations.

There are a lot, see my list of Esperanto links in the Links forum for example and check out the sites with original books and music in Esperanto. Even the non-copyrighted books and the artists offering free mp3 on the internet are already quite a lot. Then there's the culture you can experience at meetings, which is just unique. Maybe you could attend the Language Festival after the Universala Kongreso in Rotterdam next summer or the one that regularly takes place in Cheboksari, Russia. That's a way to come into contact with the Esperanto community without speaking Esperanto or signing up for an Esperanto weekend - and language festivals have a lot of appeal for language lovers like us ;-)

Quote:
I actually find remush and his wife's using Esperanto at home quite neat - joint projects like that can only be good for keeping the marriage together, if both participants are equally enthusiastic about it.

Among Esperanto speakers, there are a lot of international marriages where either partner can't speak the other's language (well) and they use Esperanto to communicate all the time. Their children usually grow up at least bilingual, Esperanto being one of the languages.

Quote:
The real problem is that, unlike for Iversen, a "couple of weeks" might not be enough for me to learn Esperanto alphabet, and I have more than enough languages on my plate already.

I highly doubt that. Well, I don't doubt that you have more than enough languages on your plate already, I do, too. But then, who says we aren't allowed to have fun? ;-)
Seriously, I doubt that you'd need more than a couple of weeks to learn Esperanto to a level that you can use it for everyday communication or read whatever you want with only occasional glances at the dictionary. Actually, I have a standing offer posted on Buddyschool.com to bring anybody up to "fluent reading" level in Esperanto in 3 months. You, with language learning experience and knowledge of English, French, Spanish and German, should have no problem at all achieving that in half the time or less.

Here's what Leo Tolstoy said on this subject:
Leo Tolstoy wrote:
Six years ago I received an Esperanto grammar, vocabulary, and articles written in the language. After not more than two hours' study I was able, if not to write the language, at any rate to read it freely.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 08 November 2007 at 12:26pm

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6167 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 
Speaks: Latin*

Message 75 of 194
08 November 2007 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Art wrote:

To sum up my views:

1. Esperanto as a language is ok and worth learning as a linguistic quirk.
2. Esperanto as a lingua franca isn't ok.
3. It is hard to separate Esperanto as a language from the Espranto movement.
4. Esperanto as a movement has a lot in common with cults.

This is almost verbatim what I stated earlier
in this post
and my other posts in that thread. I'm glad I'm not the
only one to see what is blatantly obvious.

Edited by furyou_gaijin on 08 November 2007 at 3:33pm

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6167 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 

Message 76 of 194
08 November 2007 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
remush wrote:

So rubbish... don't you agree?

Euh... no, I don't. Even without me (or anyone else) pointing out the inconsistencies in your message or getting into
the depths of grammatical analysis, you have confirmed quite a few points of the statement that you call rubbish.

remush
Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
remush.beRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6049 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: French*, Esperanto, English, Dutch
Studies: German, Polish

Message 77 of 194
09 November 2007 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
furyou_gaijin wrote:
remush wrote:

Euh... no, I don't. Even without me (or anyone else) pointing out the inconsistencies in your message or getting into
the depths of grammatical analysis, you have confirmed quite a few points of the statement that you call rubbish.

Ha Ha!
Would it be impolite to ask some precisions about those blatant inconsistencies. Get to the point, please. I am eager to correct.
Let's handle those inconsistencies one by one... if any.

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6167 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 

Message 78 of 194
09 November 2007 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
remush wrote:
furyou_gaijin wrote:
remush wrote:

Ha Ha!
Would it be impolite to ask some precisions about those blatant inconsistencies. Get to the point, please. I am eager to correct.
Let's handle those inconsistencies one by one... if any.

Ok, I'll be a bit more specific but don't expect me to spend a lot of time arguing any of these points further, for one simple reason: I'm really not that interested.

remush wrote:
What is the the highly determined Indo-European way of seeing? If the following remarks are examples of it, then Esperanto is definitively not. If it is, it's not for those reasons.

Funny how you proceed to confirm that Esperanto has all of the below and arrive to the conclusion that it's NOT Indo-European, although it has all of the below. :-) You've lost me right there, I have to say.

remush wrote:

Robert Dessaix wrote:
The world is gendered, .

There is no gender of words in Esperanto (Eo), but it is possible to explicitly mark a person as feminine in case one finds it is useful.
This gives the possibility to people whose language requires to know what gender a person is, to do what they feel is correct in Eo as well. So they don't need to change their way of thinking.

They do if they come from an Asian-language background and expect to understand the language directed at them. And neither gender nor the concept of singular/plural (in the way Europeans understand it) are relevant to the Asian semantic view of the world.

remush wrote:
Robert Dessaix wrote:
there are subjects and objects,.

This is over-simplified. An action may be done by an agent or just be. Ex: it rains. What is this it that rains? Eo: pluvas (no it; just rains).
An action may be described further by what I'll call here complements of information or by ... my god! There are so many things to explain and the only words we have are adjective, subject, complement, adverb, preposition, object. These are the words we use to describe a language like English. They are not really useful to describe Esperanto; only to just give you a (wrong) idea.
I'll retry. Complements may be introduced by a preposition. If a complement is not introduced by a preposition, then it must be marked otherwise (by an added -n).

The addition of -n to mark complements is clearly a rudiment of the European case system. (Ir-)Relevance of the above grammatical terms you mention for a language as Chinese has been debated by many scholars since time immemorial. Also, books are written explaining the constructions such as 'it rains'. No point in getting into this any deeper here as your whole comment is just too confused.

remush wrote:
Robert Dessaix wrote:
actions must be defined as past, present or future. .

This is an Indo-European approach of the grammar. There are more types of actions. See -as -os -is but also -i -u -us -ado. The use of tenses is different from English, I think it is more Chinese-like (for what I read about Chinese).

So you agree here that Esperanto is Indo-European?! Or you don't?! Make up your mind... And strictly speaking, there are no tenses in Chinese.

remush wrote:
Robert Dessaix wrote:
There are inflexions for number and tense, .

I don't know what exactly he means. Yes and no, from what I can understand.

So once again, you agree it's Indo-European?! Or you don't?!.. As I mentioned above, the concept of number (singular/plural) is irrelevant to the Oriental way of thinking.

remush wrote:
Robert Dessaix wrote:
the vocabulary is Latin or Germanic for the most part, with all the baggage those words bring with them. .

Not with all the baggage. Read my answers at Esperanto is insufficiently neutral etc...
Generally our languages were influenced a lot by French, and previously by Latin, itself influenced by Greek. That why you have such a large amount of words coming from ancient Greek.

Not sure how the quote Google Doc addresses the point. The fact remains that it's all 'Greek' for a Chinese learner.

remush wrote:
Robert Dessaix wrote:
So to speak Esperanto is to look at the world through European eyes..

The problem is that people analyse Esperanto with their own eyes. Better to look at the world with Esperanto eyes when you speak Esperanto.

...and with English eyes when you speak English. How is that relevant to the above discussion?!

Anyway, feel free to treat all of my questions above as rhetorical. Or if you prefer to respond, please don't expect any further detailed comments from me. I have had my bit of fun in this thread for now and will leave the field to Those More Passionate About the Cause... (^_-)

remush
Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
remush.beRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6049 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: French*, Esperanto, English, Dutch
Studies: German, Polish

Message 79 of 194
09 November 2007 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
So it's all about Esperanto being Indo-European.

Here are my quotes about that:

1) About Indo-European: you did not read Claude Piron.
2)What is the the highly determined Indo-European way of seeing? If the following remarks are examples of it, then Esperanto is definitively not. If it is, it's not for those reasons.
3)
Robert Dessaix wrote:
actions must be defined as past, present or future.

This is an Indo-European approach of the grammar.

Where on earth did I say that Esperanto was not Indo-European.
I'll ask you again:
Did you read Claude Piron?
Esperanto, a western language?
La ĉina : mitoj kaj realo
Langue occidentale, l'espéranto?
Le chinois: idées reçues et réalité
L'esperanto, lingua occidentale?
Uma língua ocidental, o Esperanto?
Ist Esperanto eine westliche Sprache?
Эсперанто - западно-европейский язык?¿El esperanto, lengua occidental?

and to conclude
我认为中国人学世界语要比学欧洲的语言要容 易得多,而且,对于中国人来说学了世界语后 更有利于学习欧洲的语言。
Xiao Peiliang
and that's what matters. Who cares if it is or not Indo-European?

Edited by remush on 09 November 2007 at 9:49am

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6167 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 

Message 80 of 194
09 November 2007 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
remush wrote:
So it's all about Esperanto being Indo-European.
<...>
Where on earth did I say that Esperanto was not Indo-European.
<...>
and that's what matters. Who cares if it is or not Indo-European?

I'm sure you'll have a way to explain how the above corresponds to your earlier quote below:

remush wrote:
Art wrote:
It is the very model of the highly determined Indo-European way of seeing: The world is gendered, there are subjects and objects, the feminine flows from the masculine, actions must be defined as past, present or future. There are inflexions for number and tense, the vocabulary is Latin or Germanic for the most part, with all the baggage those words bring with them. So to speak Esperanto is to look at the world through European eyes..
...This looks really stupid after one has mastered the language. Very superficial analysis.

And yes, I have now read Piron's article. To a degree, it contains some of the same flawed logic as your arguments earlier in this thread. But you know what? Let's agree that's the Absolute Truth. I really couldn't care less.

I'll briefly restate my position on Esperanto, for the avoidance of doubt: I respect the language as a succesful intellectual achievement yet I dislike its sectarian nature and will never learn it. Discussions in this forum have significantly contributed to strengthening this belief.

Quote:
世界语

Can't believe they called it THAT... :-)

This discussion contains 194 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version