Language Learning Forum : Esperanto Post Reply
194 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 ... 24 25 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6229 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 161 of 194
22 November 2007 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
LilleOSC wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:
(e. g. my boyfriend founded the Esperanto Wikipedia).

Really? I was glad to see Esperanto on Wikipedia. There are over 10,000 articles in Esperanto there.

Actually there are almost 100,000. It's one of the larger Wikipedias, still bigger than Arabic for example. I believe Wikipedia is perfect for Esperanto's purposes, because it would be hard to have the leading experts on every field work together if they had to meet in person for the duration of creating an encyclopedia on everything. In the thirties the first Esperanto encyclopedia was published, but it wasn't a general encyclopedia, just about the movement.
1 person has voted this message useful

remush
Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
remush.beRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6027 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: French*, Esperanto, English, Dutch
Studies: German, Polish

Message 162 of 194
22 November 2007 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
If one learns esperanto, would it be wise to put it on a resume?

No. Don't mention it.
Some people are paranoiac about Esperanto.
Don't ask them why.

Edited by remush on 22 November 2007 at 11:25am

Art07
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 5973 days ago

61 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 163 of 194
22 November 2007 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
Actually, Wikipedia can provide a lot of useful information:

1. List of Wikipedias

The Esperanto Wiki has 90K+ articles, but only 3600 users. The Arabic Wiki has 40K+ articles and 97000 users. As a comparison, the English Wiki has 2+ mln articles and almost 6 mln users.

2. Rating and statistcs at alexa.com

The most interesting part is at the bottom, "Where people go on Wikipedia.org":

en.wikipedia.org - 53%
es.wikipedia.org - 17%
ja.wikipedia.org - 4%
fr.wikipedia.org - 4%
de.wikipedia.org - 4%
pl.wikipedia.org - 3%
pt.wikipedia.org - 2%
wikipedia.org - 2%
ru.wikipedia.org - 1%
ar.wikipedia.org - 1%
zh.wikipedia.org - 1%
it.wikipedia.org - 1%
cs.wikipedia.org - 1%
vi.wikipedia.org - 1%
Other websites - 5%

As you can see, despite the fact that the Esperanto wiki has so many articles, almost nobody from the world reads it. Also there is a hint, that the world language should be actually in a form of two langugaes: English and Spanish. :)

p.s. based on wiki's stats that count the number of articles, Volapuk is the number one artificial lang, not Esperanto :D

Edited by Art07 on 22 November 2007 at 2:02pm

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6145 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 
Speaks: Latin*

Message 164 of 194
22 November 2007 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
the 16 rules in the Fundamento are not meant to be an exhaustive grammar or a set of
rules for students to learn, they are not even the best descriptions of the grammar parts in question. However,
they are the parts that mustn't be changed about Esperanto - and it doesn't even matter what you call them or in
which language you describe them.

16 rules, 10 commandments... still pretending it's not a Religion, innit? :-))

Art07 wrote:
AAs you can see, despite the fact that the Esperanto wiki has so many articles, almost nobody
from the world reads it.

Excellent analysis. :-) Somehow, the first point doesn't surprise me, given the fervour displayed by Esperanto
supporters in this and similar threads...

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6229 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 165 of 194
22 November 2007 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Art07 wrote:
Actually, Wikipedia can provide a lot of useful information:

1. List of Wikipedias

The Esperanto Wiki has 90K+ articles, but only 3600 users. The Arabic Wiki has 40K+ articles and 97000 users. As a comparison, the English Wiki has 2+ mln articles and almost 6 mln users.

And the Lombard Wiki has 107K+ articles and only 359 users. Statistics can be interpreted as you want. I'd say the number of registered users also reflects to some extend how restrictive the Wikipedias are, e. g. how many protected pages there are that you can't edit anonymously and how likely it is that anonymous edits will get deleted without a second thought. Because people don't register if they don't have to.

Quote:
2. Rating and statistcs at alexa.com

The most interesting part is at the bottom, "Where people go on Wikipedia.org":

en.wikipedia.org - 53%
es.wikipedia.org - 17%
ja.wikipedia.org - 4%
fr.wikipedia.org - 4%
de.wikipedia.org - 4%

You do know that Alexa isn't reliable when it comes to non-American sites? Alexa doesn't actually take complete statistics but rather bases its estimates on how many users with the Alexa browser plugin visit a particular site. This plugin however is not wide-spread outside the USA - hence this particular statistics reflects American Wikipedia users. This is also visible because the German visitor group should be considerably larger (reflecting its Wikipedia size and famousness over here) or the Japanese one too (reflecting the amount of Japanese internet users and the time they spend online). And of course the Chinese visitor group should be much smaller because Wikipedia is banned in PR China. Those are the statistics you would get from a source that reflects all internet users rather than predominantly American ones.

Quote:
p.s. based on wiki's stats that count the number of articles, Volapuk is the number one artificial lang, not Esperanto :D

This is due to a single Volapük editor having used a robot to create thousands of robot-written stub articles. This practise is actually being discussed among the WP admins now and may lead to the deletion of the entire Volapük Wikipedia. All other Wikipedias that I know of limit the use of robots and try to ensure at least a minimum of article quality.

Art07
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 5973 days ago

61 posts - 64 votes 

Message 166 of 194
22 November 2007 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi,

you have a lot of excuses alsmost for every argument. That's not good for those who _are thinking_. If you are saying that those stats are not accurate, please provide your stat for the Esperanto users and readers of the Wiki, numbers please, not words of "we think", just plain numbers. Deal?

Alexa statistics is pretty accurate to get the whole picture. I think the web logs of wiki will show the same picture for the English and Esperanto part of Wiki.

Also, based on your logic of "American comspiracy" all the Polish people are primary in the US and work as secret agents for "the american wikipedia" through Alexa. And the same pattern follow Japaneses. :)

Statistics is statistcs. Without wishful thiking it shows the actual picture. Now it shows that there are about 3 editors for every artcle in the English segment and only 1 editor for 25 articles in the Esperanto segment. This _may_ lead to the question of the quality of the articles. Also, it shows that there might be the possibility that the Esperanto movement uses Wiki as a PR tool, trying to be in the top ten list of Wiki.

About Vopaluk and Esperanto. How many articles in Esperanto are translated from other languages and are not the original work? How many articles are unique information that could be only found in Esperanto and of what topics those articles are?

-----

Plus, how is it easy to do search in the Internet for Esperanto texts? I mean Esperanto has, as far as I know, almost 4 ways to write its words. Take for example, "cxio, chio, c^io, cio, and real cio with a hat above the C letter"? Does the user should at least google 4 times to find what he/she has in mind? (unicode isn't a solution).

Also, if the world went "your way" to save cost on translation between nations, what would be cost to implement _industry_ databases and computer system that would deal with such irregularities in the Esperanto alphabet for computers as (cx, ch, c^, c, c with a hat) and other 4 letters of the "hat" nature?

Edited by Art07 on 22 November 2007 at 4:26pm

Art07
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 5973 days ago

61 posts - 64 votes 

Message 167 of 194
22 November 2007 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi,

also could you provide the stat of the users (registred users) of the Esperanto Wiki based on the country of origin. I think for you it would be no big deal cause your boyfriend is the one who started the Esperanto Wiki.

With those stat you will show us, that the contributors to the Esperanto Wiki are really based throughout the whole world and the %% of coutries are fair, I mean there are almost the same number of esperantists from Asia who contribute to the Esperanto Wiki as in Europe.

Edited by Art07 on 22 November 2007 at 4:46pm

remush
Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
remush.beRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6027 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: French*, Esperanto, English, Dutch
Studies: German, Polish

Message 168 of 194
22 November 2007 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Art07 wrote:
also could you provide ...

and even if you got the names and addresses of all x millions Esperanto speakers, you would still not change your opinion.
You are not interested because _all_ Esperantists are communists.
Well, you have a problem with yourself, not that much with Esperanto.

This discussion contains 194 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version