Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 6001 days ago

61 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 177 of 194
23 November 2007 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi,

also, what Noam Chomsky as a linguist thinks of Esperanto?
1 person has voted this message useful

remush
Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
remush.beRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6055 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: French*, Esperanto, English, Dutch
Studies: German, Polish

Message 178 of 194
23 November 2007 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
Art07 wrote:

I asked about numbers. Noam Chomsky isn't the last man in the world in the linguistic science.

There is 1 man who speaks Esperanto at the highest level (I understand him very well)
There are 10 people who speak Esperanto at the second level.
There are 100 people at the third level
There are 1000 people at the fourth, ... and 1 000 000 at the seven.
At the seven level, one is able to understand this all if written in Esperanto.
(just as for chess players: at level 8 they are merely wood-pushers).
About Noam read esperanto is not a language and wikipedia.
I prefer the other Jew.

Edited by remush on 23 November 2007 at 4:41am

Art07
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 6001 days ago

61 posts - 64 votes 

Message 179 of 194
23 November 2007 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
Quote:
If Esperanto is one (and arguably the best) way to provide global communication on an equal scale, then what reason do we have to criticize it?

As I said I don't criticize Esperanto as a language for hobbists. It's a right of every man to do what he/she likes in his/her free time.

I critisize the Esperanto movement when it goes to politics. In my country in April 2007 it tried to impose the compulsory teaching of Esperanto in all the schools of Russia. And now we go to numbers of 400 Russian Esperantists who tried to impose their hobby on 140mln Russians. How do you call this? I call it a destructive practice.

Edited by Art07 on 23 November 2007 at 4:41am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 180 of 194
23 November 2007 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
Art07 wrote:
Wow! I aksed for numbers and got excuses again. I just asked for plain numbers!

Look around a bit and you'll find that the world isn't made of just numbers.

Quote:
1. Your boyfriend is the one who started the Esperanto Wiki and still maintains it. Doesn't he knows what country of origin are the contributres of the Esperanto Wiki? Theer are only 3600 of them, not that big number.

Many more people contribute, but without signing up. Since Wikipedia doesn't and CAN'T keep statistics on people's origin, the only way he'd know is if he knew every single Wikipedia contributor personally - and contrarily to what you suggest, the Esperanto movement isn't small enough for that.

Quote:
2. I can give you the estimated number for Russian speakers. It's not that hard. In Russia everybody speaks Russian, we have no dialects. So, based on the estimated population of Russia I'm saying that in the world there are not less than 140 mln speakers of Russian (the low number).

Read closely. I am talking NON-NATIVE speakers. Statistics of Russian are made mainly based on how many people live in Russian-speaking countries. There's no way of counting the actual foreign-language speakers of a language.

Quote:
3. I can tell you the _precise_ numbers of the Russian Esperantists. In 2007 it is 405 who are regisred at REU (Rusia Esperantisto Unio). Here is the list http://reu.ru/index.php?dok=membrolisto

The VAST MAJORITY of Esperanto speakers aren't part of their national organization, because being part of such an organization means you pay high fees and get boring (imho) mailings in exchange, and maybe a discount on the national meet-ups. Some Esperanto speakers visit local clubs, some are members only in international organizations, a lot are in neither, because, as I said, there is hardly a reason to join unless if you want to donate money. I spoke Esperanto for 5 years before I joined any organization, and when I joined it was only because it was same price to participate in IS or to participate in IS and get membership. I know a lot of people like me, who like to just use the language. This includes many people who speak Esperanto very well, in fact the national organization are best for beginners, because beginners may turn to the organizations to help them learn Esperanto or to make Esperanto contacts, whereas fluent speakers don't need that crutch.

As for administrations: for example the board of the World Esperanto Youth organization currently has 4 elected members: 1 from the USA, 1 from Bosnia, 1 from Italy and 1 from Benin. But of course organizations represent those that choose to participate in the elections.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 23 November 2007 at 4:51am

Art07
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 6001 days ago

61 posts - 64 votes 

Message 181 of 194
23 November 2007 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi,

I gave you number, you once again gave me no numbers, only excuses. I gave you _valid_ lowest estimates of Russian speakers and Russian Esperantists. You gave once again excuses trying to say that somehow my numbers aren't correct and once again you gave me your personal experience to drive off the topic.

I asked only for plain numbers and how they were obtained, the same thing I did for alexa, for the numbre of russian speaker, for the number of russian esperantists.

Why instead of numbers you have excuses and peronal stories that are only relevant to you? I think for those guys who acctually _are thinking_ and don't buy words, it is clear what Esperanto as a movement is.

Edited by Art07 on 23 November 2007 at 4:55am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 182 of 194
23 November 2007 at 5:03am | IP Logged 
Because there are no valid statistics on an international phenomenon like Esperanto, as you well know. You either have to resort to irrelevant statistics like the Alexa one or you don't have any at all. Unlike you, I prefer not to quote irrelevant statistics that would mislead people.

Go ahead and believe that Esperanto is weak in Russia, so that you can calm your irrational fear of a movement that is peaceful to its core. Any time spent on Esperanto websites or traveling through Russia with Pasporta Servo will convince the others otherwise.

And this is all I'm going to say on the matter.

Art07
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 6001 days ago

61 posts - 64 votes 

Message 183 of 194
23 November 2007 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi,

do you know that the difference between science and religion is that science relies on facts and numbers, but relegion relies on revelations and personal experiences.

As I can see you are all about emotions. For example, how my statistics on Russian Esperantists are irrelevant if I got it from the official website of Russian Eseprantists? How my low estimate for Russian speakers are irrelevant? How Alexa is irrelevant if at the Alexa website there is detailed description on how the obtained the stat?

And if you are saying "there are no valid statistics on an international phenomenon like Esperanto" then how people should descide that Esperanto ideas, and what is more important Esperanto claims, are valid?!

Edited by Art07 on 23 November 2007 at 5:13am

remush
Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
remush.beRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6055 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: French*, Esperanto, English, Dutch
Studies: German, Polish

Message 184 of 194
23 November 2007 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
Art07 wrote:
In my country in April 2007 it tried to impose the compulsory teaching of Esperanto in all the schools of Russia. And now we go to numbers of 400 Russian Esperantists who tried to impose their hobby on 140mln Russians. How do you call this? I call it a destructive practice.

It would be much cheaper to recommend Esperanto than to switch riding from left to right.
I understand that there are situations which require some coordination.
It is useless for Russian to lose 6 months of their precious time to reach level 7, if Chinese do not do the same.
Why don't you try and coordinate with them?
That's the emerging economy and you are closer.
All what Esperantists can do is: prove that Esperanto is working perfectly well as second language.
Nobody is forced to learn Esperanto to level 6.

Edited by remush on 23 November 2007 at 8:18am

This discussion contains 194 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version