Belgium
remush.beRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6055 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: French*, Esperanto, English, Dutch
Studies: German, Polish

Message 25 of 194
04 November 2007 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
I am not as gifted as you to be able to read the mind of furyou_gaijin.
I have no clue to know if his message was aimed to me, so it's unappropriate to respond to it. And I don't know what is implied in the ... but I guess it could be interesting.

To reply to you: I am not a language freak. Languages do not particularly interest me. I learned those I know out of necessity and certainly not for pleasure, nor to boast knowing more languages than I can make use of.
I could not understand why people would spend their time learning languages instead of doing something useful until I learned Esperanto. So for that, Esperanto was already useful.

I just joined this forum not long ago, and I only follow this thread. I have no intention to participate in discussions about other languages here as I am active in other forums in Esperanto about other subjects than languages.
I am currently learning Polish (not really for pleasure even if it is fun) and I don't need this forum because I have my own voice contacts who are native speakers, and I understand a rule better when explained in Esperanto.

I am not sure of what you mean by "defending the mother tongue". What mother tongue are you speaking of? And why would it need to be defended? A mother tongue is, and that's what counts.
What is that nonsense about "secret handshake"? In what film did you see that?
What odd behavior did you notice in some Esperantists. Their enthusiasm for the language or something else? Is it in relation with the language?
About _relative_ easiness of Esperanto read http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgh4mq6j_11ddrv6g#116
Hoping this will help.
leosmith wrote:

(sorry to steal your thunder furyou)
remush,
Every one of your posts has been in defense of Esperanto. Get it now?

I'd like to know, is there a charter for esperantists to join forums just to defend the mother tongue? I'm very curious, because I've see it happen 3 times in 3 different forums, and I learned from TV detectives not to believe in coincidences. Fess up - show us your secret handshake too, if you don't mind. I love secret handshakes.

Regardless of the very odd behavior of some esperantists, I'm going to learn the language. Sounds like an easy language to learn, and a fun community.   

Edited by remush on 04 November 2007 at 5:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

lloydkirk
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6200 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 26 of 194
04 November 2007 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
"I learned those I know out of necessity..."

You had to learn Esperanto?!
2 persons have voted this message useful

remush
Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 6055 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 

Message 27 of 194
04 November 2007 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
My wife speaks Dutch. I speak French, and our English was just "school English" when we met. You can't do anything with that. I thought Esperanto would be worth a try.

lloydkirk wrote:
"I learned those I know out of necessity..."

You had to learn Esperanto?!

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6021 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 28 of 194
04 November 2007 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Esperanto is really an useless language for those people who dislike English as a lingua franca around the world......If anyone doesn't enjoy studying English should study other important languages but not a language restricted to a small group of people, some of them with communist ideas.

remush
Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 6055 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 

Message 29 of 194
05 November 2007 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
Esperanto may be useful even for those people who like English as a lingua franca around the world.
Now I am not sure of what you mean by:
Esperanto is really a useless language for those people who dislike English as a lingua franca around the world.
It looks like a typing mistake. Are you meaning:
Esperanto is really a useless language for those people who like English as a lingua franca around the world.
or
Esperanto is really a useful language for those people who dislike English as a lingua franca around the world?
Alvinho wrote:
Esperanto is really an useless language for those people who dislike English as a lingua franca around the world......If anyone doesn't enjoy studying English should study other important languages but not a language restricted to a small group of people, some of them with communist ideas.

xtremelingo
Trilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6074 days ago

398 posts - 515 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi*, Punjabi*
Studies: German, French, Arabic (Written)

Message 30 of 194
05 November 2007 at 6:39am | IP Logged 
Unless for personal interest and curiosity.

I find Esperanto useless.

As for it being considered a "world-language" -- hardly. It has a ton of European-bias. I don't see elements of Middle-Eastern or Asian languages being included.

It's a nice experiment like your professor mentioned, but that's all it really is.

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6021 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 31 of 194
05 November 2007 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
Remush........you're right!!!.....I didn't review the reply and then I made such mistake...tks

remush
Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 6055 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 

Message 32 of 194
05 November 2007 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
Beware of curiosity if you want to hold on your current prejudices.
To find Esperanto useless knowing it, is really something uncommon; not if you don't know it.

About Esperanto is a product of the western culture, read http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgh4mq6j_11ddrv6g#186

xtremelingo wrote:
Unless for personal interest and curiosity.

I find Esperanto useless.

As for it being considered a "world-language" -- hardly. It has a ton of European-bias. I don't see elements of Middle-Eastern or Asian languages being included.

It's a nice experiment like your professor mentioned, but that's all it really is.

This discussion contains 194 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version