United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 9 of 14
16 October 2006 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
Ardaschir wrote:
6. Portuguese. At this stage, if you can manage a trip to Portugal or Brazil and you simply converse as much as you can while studying the grammatical subtleties on your own, you should simply be able to pick this up.

In the context of knowing the Romance family, he suggested that picking up Portuguese would be easy if one had the foundation he laid out:
Ardaschir wrote:
French
Spanish
Latin
Italian
Catalan
Portuguese
Occitan
Romanian

1 person has voted this message useful

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6465 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 10 of 14
16 October 2006 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
I even think one would not necessarily need all of the languages above to find Portuguese easy, but rather, the more languages within the family one knew, the easier it would be to acquire another - in this case, Portuguese. Italian is not a bad first language for an English speaker. It becomes more transparent after a Spanish background. It becomes even more transparent after a Spanish and French background - and so on :^)

griggsy
United States
Joined 6349 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 11 of 14
02 December 2006 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
I read well the Teutonic and Romance languages. I tried the Slavic ones for a while and am getting back to Russian. I read newsletters in those languages on the internet and most in Reader's Digest.

orion
United States
Joined 6802 days ago

622 posts - 678 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 12 of 14
05 December 2006 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
Not to go too far off-thread, but how easy is it for a German speaker to understand Afrikaans? Is it easier than Dutch for a German?

Some thread on here somewhere mentioned that it was easier to go from Afrikaans to Dutch than vice versa. How about Afrikaans to German and vice versa?

flipkous
Diglot
South Africa
Joined 6331 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Afrikaans*, English

Message 13 of 14
19 December 2006 at 6:19am | IP Logged 
I am Afrikaans and I follow the BVN dutch channel quite well. Takes a few minutes to adjust the ears though. I do not hear a lot of German but my girlfriend worked for a German and could pick up some words and sometimes follow completely. I would reckon it would be easier to learn dutch than German for an Afrikaner.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 14
19 December 2006 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
I have never learnt Afrikaans, and my Dutch is very basic, - I studied some grammars long ago and learnt some common words. However using these rudiments of Dutch plus my German, English and Danish I could quite easily read Afrikaans newpapers when I visited Namibia earlier this year. There are some strange spellings (strange in the sense that they differ from Dutch) and some notable differences in morphology, but overall I find written Afrikaans quite transparent. Because I traveled before my interest in languages was resuscitated this summer. I didn't really listen to those who spoke Afrikaans around me, so I didn't understand anything. They could just as well have been speaking one of the indigenous languages. With a bit of attentive listening things might have improved, but I spoke German and English to people, so I didn't really have to decipher any spoken Afrikaans.

I understand some spoken Dutch if I listen very attentively, but the slightest inattentiveness and I have lost the meaning.

Edited by Iversen on 19 December 2006 at 9:41am

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version