12 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Kugel
United States
Joined 6338 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 12
11 November 2007 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
I know that I was guilty of trying to learn a foreign language for superficial reasons when I first became interested in foreign language studies. I suppose one glaring sign would be this: wanting to learn a foreign language while not even knowing one's native tongue at an advanced level. If someone only reads a book or two per year, doesn't know advanced vocab in his native tongue, and no solid understanding of grammar in his native tongue, then why exactly does this person want to learn a foreign language? Do you see this being common for students getting their feet wet in foreign languages? Do you think knowing one's native tongue to an advanced level is irrelevant when it comes to jumping into foreign language studies?

Edited by Kugel on 11 November 2007 at 4:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6239 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 12
11 November 2007 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Kugel wrote:
I know that I was guilty of trying to learn a foreign language for superficial reasons when I first became interested in foreign language studies.

What qualifies something as a superficial reason?

Kugel wrote:

I suppose one glaring sign would be this: wanting to learn a foreign language while not even knowing one's native tongue at an advanced level. If someone only reads a book or two per year, doesn't know advanced vocab in his native tongue, and no solid understanding of grammar in his native tongue, then why exactly does this person want to learn a foreign language?

Any number of reasons - the person could move, gain an interest in the culture, need the language for business purposes, feel the need for a hobby, or any number of other perfectly legitimate reasons to learn a language.

If someone only reads a book or two per year, perhaps there's a good reason for it (a physical and/or mental problem, for instance - severe dyslexia would certainly qualify) - or perhaps it's a reason to change, and read more.

What counts as advanced vocabulary? Why does it -matter-?

As for grammar: I think a large number of people don't consciously know the grammar of their own first languages when they set out to learn other ones, and next to no native English speakers do, as it's not taught. I personally didn't, and I seriously doubt I would have ever set about studying it for its own sake. However, I've picked up quite a bit of knowledge about grammar in the process of learning other languages. I would argue that this is a perfectly legitimate way to do so.

There have been accomplished polyglots who were also illiterate.

Kugel wrote:

Do you see this being common for students getting their feet wet in foreign languages? Do you think knowing one's native tongue to an advanced level is irrelevant when it comes to jumping into foreign language studies?

I think that having an extremely good knowledge of one's native tongue may be useful. However, you seem to have a perfectly good grasp of your own: for instance, you use apostrophes correctly. You may not be able to describe it, or know grammatical terms, but you do have a good command of English.

A question perhaps worth asking is this: if you -weren't- interested in other languages, would you be worrying about this? If not, that strikes me as a clear reason to pursue your studies: you will not be any worse off, and may learn something in the process.

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6450 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 3 of 12
11 November 2007 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Hmm. As an adjunct to this, I'm wondering if it's inevitable that, if you speak in your native tongue with a certain 'laxity', let's say, then you will speak only at that level in any foreign languages, as well. If you don't use a great deal of vocabulary in your native language, then is there any reason to try to learn a great deal in a foreign language?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6239 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 4 of 12
12 November 2007 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
apparition wrote:
Hmm. As an adjunct to this, I'm wondering if it's inevitable that, if you speak in your native tongue with a certain 'laxity', let's say, then you will speak only at that level in any foreign languages, as well. If you don't use a great deal of vocabulary in your native language, then is there any reason to try to learn a great deal in a foreign language?

I don't see why that there is any reason why it's not possible to speak a non-native language better than your native one. I've heard that some children, who are educated in a non-native language throughout their lives and/or given limited contact with their native language do so. I suspect that an adult who put his/her mind to it could also end up with a higher level in a non-native language. I don't know how good Joseph Conrad's Polish was, but his use of language in his English novels is quite striking.

More simply, given a perfectly good command of grammar, and an adequate, if not outstanding and ostentatious grasp of vocabulary, I don't see any particular barrier to achieving a high level of fluency in a second language, even if one can't expect to be its next Shakespeare.

Lastly, is there any reason not to develop in one's native language while striving to also learn others? I've found gains made in one language often have a degree of transference possible, especially with related ones.

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7056 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 5 of 12
18 November 2007 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
The study of foreign languages is, philologically, philosophically, and psychologically speaking, an endeavor to expand your conception of the category of Language. You can best do this in a comparative context, and your main basis for comparison is your native language. Thus, in answer to the original question, consciously knowing your native language to an advanced and refined level is absolutely crucial in the successful and efficient conscious study of other languages. Polishing your ability to express yourself in your native language is an excellent preliminary to the study of foreign languages, and if your range of vocabulary is wide to begin with, you will find much more transparency in other tongues. Since English is the de facto default language of anyone reading this, I would suggest that, if you are facing any kinds of frustrations or difficulties in your forays into foreign languages, you would probably profit greatly if you were to put them on hold so that you could first work though a good old-fashioned guide to grammar and composition, such as the Harbrace College Handbook. When you return to the study of foreign languages, I am sure that you will find that consciously knowing the rules of higher register English will be of inestimable assistance to you.
2 persons have voted this message useful

strossel
Triglot
Groupie
Joined 6283 days ago

47 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*, Swedish, French
Studies: Icelandic, Hungarian

Message 6 of 12
18 November 2007 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
As someone who is trained at a high level in a field intimately connected with the use of language, and in which much revolves around minute details of language use (the law), I believe that short of studying law to a comparable level in any of my foreign languages, I will always function at a 'lower' level in these languages than in English, as I could not function in the legal jargon of those countries merely by learning the relevant vocabulary - more is required.

Short of there being a legal system identical to that of my home country, merely transposed into a foreign language, I do not think I could function in the legal sphere without legal as opposed to language acquisition training.

So, I must adjust my expectations in my target languages, and always remember in which sphere I intend to use them.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6072 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 7 of 12
23 November 2007 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
apparition wrote:

I don't see why that there is any reason why it's not possible to speak a non-native language better than your native one. I've heard that some children, who are educated in a non-native language throughout their lives and/or given limited contact with their native language do so. I suspect that an adult who put his/her mind to it could also end up with a higher level in a non-native language. I don't know how good Joseph Conrad's Polish was, but his use of language in his English novels is quite striking.

More simply, given a perfectly good command of grammar, and an adequate, if not outstanding and ostentatious grasp of vocabulary, I don't see any particular barrier to achieving a high level of fluency in a second language, even if one can't expect to be its next Shakespeare.

Lastly, is there any reason not to develop in one's native language while striving to also learn others? I've found gains made in one language often have a degree of transference possible, especially with related ones.

I assume Conrad's Polish was good, but he made a career outside Poland and so did not write novels etc. in Polish. (For comparison, Kafka could speak Czech but his education was in German and he never wrote in Czech.) Conrad's conversational English was apparently imperfect. George Orwell noted Conrad's habit of putting the adjective after the noun in writing English and attributed this to Conrad learning French before English. However, that word order can also be a Polish trait.

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6172 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 8 of 12
16 January 2008 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Kugel wrote:
I know that I was guilty of trying to learn a foreign language for superficial reasons when I first became interested in foreign language studies. I suppose one glaring sign would be this: wanting to learn a foreign language while not even knowing one's native tongue at an advanced level. If someone only reads a book or two per year, doesn't know advanced vocab in his native tongue, and no solid understanding of grammar in his native tongue, then why exactly does this person want to learn a foreign language? Do you see this being common for students getting their feet wet in foreign languages? Do you think knowing one's native tongue to an advanced level is irrelevant when it comes to jumping into foreign language studies?

I don't believe a conscious knowledge of any sort of linguistics or special vocabulary is necessary for a native in learning another language. I know this because when I started learning French, I didn't know what a verb, noun, adjective or a past particple were, and many words I learnt in French, I had to learn the word in English (I didn't know the word in the translation into English)

Edited by zerothinking on 16 January 2008 at 7:39pm

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version