Groupie
Malaysia
Joined 6179 days ago

89 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Malay*
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 1 of 65
11 November 2007 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
(Note: I am writing on behalf of yesterday.)

I began my intensive Japanese studies today.

I woke up in the morning feeling immensely rejuvenated, having forced myself to sleep rather early the night before. I immediately picked up my Japanese dictionary, and went for a walk with it. I felt a need to get the blood boiling.

About an hour had passed once I returned. I immediately went to my study. An hour after, I did the obligatory bathing/shaving, etc, and then I returned to my studies.

Tae Kim's Japanese Guide: For nearly the whole day I studied, with only minimal breaks in between. I vowed to myself to complete one whole chapter from Tae Kim's excellent guide. Sadly, I only managed to complete 4 parts of it. (As I discovered, each section is not that easy.) I think it was also because I kept separating my attention between Japanese in Mangaland 1 and Breaking Into Japanese Literature every 1 or two hours.

(It may seem as if I'm multitasking, but really, I'm not. I'm still in the Japanese language mode despite the learning material I use. And switching between them is very much crucial for the upkeep of my attention and interest. )

Japanese in Mangaland 1: I have only praises to shower this book with. It is very good. Well-organized and well-presented. The examples are very enlightening, and everything is explained in detail.

Edited by ryuukohito on 15 November 2007 at 9:13am

1 person has voted this message useful

ryuukohito
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
Malaysia
Joined 6179 days ago

89 posts - 98 votes 

Message 2 of 65
11 November 2007 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
Today I began with Mangaland. It has been four hours (with breaks in-between) since I started reading, and I'm now up to 40% done. (By 40%, I mean Lesson 12 of 30.) I am noting down the percentages for each individual Japanese 'task in Outlook, to motivate me, and to give me an overview of how much I have done and have left to go.

I must note that even if I 'complete' an item, it only means that though I have completed it properly with full attention ONCE. I would still devote myself to going through it again for a second round right after, and also as I go about my studies.

Currently, what I find most troublesome is the fact that some kanji(s) forms still evade me.

Note that I am thankful to have completed RTK some time ago, as it has been a tremendous help to me, but I seem to have forgotten some kanji forms by now, and this is indeed a troublesome ordeal as I would have to memorize the kanji form, reading, and meaning -- a process of three layers -- before I can get through some of the words. Sigh.

(I hope to complete an additional four or five lessons of Tae Kim's grammar guide today.)

I'll work harder!

ryuukohito
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
Malaysia
Joined 6179 days ago

89 posts - 98 votes 

Message 3 of 65
13 November 2007 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
Finished 3 chapters of Tae Kim's guide, and two chapters of Japanese in Mangaland 1 today. Also devoted 3 to 4 hours preparing a parallel text (with dictionary definitions) of Final Fantasy Tactics (from Playstation 1).

Discovered this really interesting phenomenon -- whilst I was going through the dictionary definitions (and organizing them inside a spreadsheet) I could feel something 'clicking' inside my head. Once I was done with the parallel text, I printed it out. I left it there on the table, and went to do something else. Half an hour later, I returned. I began reading through the Japanese text - I found out that I had remembered at least 90% of the words on there! (I think there were about 30-40 new words.) And I did not even exert any effort with trying to remember them! It was a great feeling. (Plus the words were not simple nouns; they were the more abstract ones too.)

As much as I love mnemonics (and I admit that they are immensely useful) they can be tiring to construct sometimes, so this 'effort-less' approach is very much welcome for me.

(This is the part where SRSes come in.)

So all's well. I'm thinking of doing this again too; perhaps covering the entire game, if possible.

The thing is this: I don't want to devote too much time to memorizing vocabulary at this point. I want to finish understanding grammar first. There's a lot left to learn. (In fact, I was going through the section on Conditionals today, and when I looked back at all my collection of sentences, I went, "Damn... I've been understanding it all wrong!")

So yes. I'll work hard!

がんばってよ!

nhk9
Canada
Joined 6747 days ago

290 posts - 319 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 4 of 65
13 November 2007 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
Great to hear that you are learning Japanese. I am sure you will have fun doing so

FYI, がんばってよ! is used when you want others to work hard; "I'll work hard" is something more like ”がんばります!”

Cheers,

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6329 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 
Speaks: Latin*

Message 5 of 65
13 November 2007 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
nhk9 wrote:
FYI, がんばってよ! is used when you want others to work hard; "I'll work hard" is something
more like ”がんばります!”

And if you want to be really picky, 「がんばってよ」 is not really used that much. Some statistics from Google:

がんばってよ = 46,700 hits
頑張ってよ = 80,900 hits

BUT:

がんばってね = 1,190,000 hits
頑張ってね = 1,940,000 hits

The devil is in the detail...

Edited by furyou_gaijin on 13 November 2007 at 2:21pm

ryuukohito
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
Malaysia
Joined 6179 days ago

89 posts - 98 votes 

Message 6 of 65
14 November 2007 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
nhk九ーせんぱいとふりょう外人ーせんぱい、 ありがとうございます!

Thank you for the tip! I would always appreciate any constructive criticisms and/or corrections that will help me improve my Japanese.

--------

In other news, today I completed about 4 chapters of Tae Kim's guide, and 4 chapters of Japanese in Mangaland 1.

I review the materials I read about twice or thrice throughout the day, and memory retention has been pretty good so far. To be truthful, I may forgot or confuse one or two grammar points (e.g. あたたかくなかった, a very interesting tongue-twister, versus its negating-'to become' version, i.e. あたたかくなった), but I always do remember the gist of what I've learning. (I think, because grammar is not strictly about memorization like vocabulary is, and it can be explained and laid out, that is why one can hold on to and 'grasp' it with greater strength.)

Currently I am planning to go through Tae Kim's guide a bit more slowly, at least until I am finished with Japanese in Mangaland 1. (Some of the concepts in Tae Kim's guide are turning out to be rather difficult to digest; but I'm guessing that the grammar beast may be tamed with the help of an SRS program (and lots of input) later on.) Once I am finished with JIM, I will go through it once again, whilst collecting/compiling all vocabulary from it this time around. (I practice with sentences mostly, but I also keep a separate collection of vocabulary, so that I have a rough idea as to how many words I presently know at the moment, and how many of them I have (or have not) a firm grasp of.)

If my calculations are proper, I would be done with Tae Kim's guide in less than two weeks, and JIM 1, today. (I will use all of tomorrow to collect all vocabulary from JIM 1 and absorb all concepts laid down in it, before going to JIM 2.)

がんばります!

Edited by ryuukohito on 15 November 2007 at 12:11am

ryuukohito
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
Malaysia
Joined 6179 days ago

89 posts - 98 votes 

Message 7 of 65
15 November 2007 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
I did (a revision of) 200 kanji(s) when I woke up this morning. Later on, I continued with Japanese in Mangaland 1. I am glad to say that I am finally done with the book! I feel satisfied.

As far as I feel it to be so, I have managed to absorb all important concepts in that book. (Thankfully, they weren't too difficult to grasp, as I've encountered many of them before outside the book; however, the book did an excellent job of clearing up many misconceptions, and elaborating on what I've missed.)

What's required now is for me to retain the information. Therefore, I will spend some several hours of today importing the list of words used in that book, and if I can manage it, I will read through it again, and then read one extra lesson from Tae Kim's guide as well. Lastly, I will go through the book a third time and import useful sentences from it into my SRS program.

がんばります!

Edited by ryuukohito on 15 November 2007 at 12:09am

karashi
Tetraglot
Groupie
Japan
Joined 6520 days ago

81 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Japanese, German
Studies: Russian

Message 8 of 65
15 November 2007 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
頑張ってよ and 頑張ってね... google hit numbers don't always show black and white truths.

The difference is the nuance.

頑張ってね is more used because it is appropriate when you want to tell someone to keep on, wish good luck, etc. That is, the person is already looking positively at what lies ahead and what I say to him is a word to give him some energy.

But 頑張ってよ is used when the person doesn't seem so motivated, and it is the same kind of spirit as when you tell him "come on, you can do it". It can also be used in the same situations as 頑張ってね but then has a nuance of insistence, something like "I'm counting on you !".

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version