Joined 7019 days ago

355 posts - 350 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 41
03 April 2005 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
delectric wrote:
By the way, I study like a slave

You would have to "study like a slave" to make it through a Rosetta Stone course. That is exactly why I don't recommend it.

Even if it was the single most effective course on the planet, I still wouldn't sit my butt in a chair in front of the computer for hours every night clicking on pictures. I don't have that kind of time. I'd much rather listen to my FSI lessons while I wash the dishes.

I've tried a few computer based language training courses too. Rosetta Stone is the best I've seen. Unfortunately, no matter how you look at it, it's still a computer program. If your life revolves around language learning that may not be a drawback. But for those of us with jobs and families, it's a showstopper.

Edited by heartburn on 03 April 2005 at 4:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

delectric
Diglot
China
Joined 6993 days ago

608 posts - 733 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German

Message 10 of 41
04 April 2005 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
Fair enough, I see your point. But, even if you have a family no doubt you get some time in the week to sit down on your own. However, considering you can walk about listening to FSI then for your needs the Rosetta Stone comes a very poor second place.

Though, for the student or person without a family (I'm not a student but I don't have a family - do have a job) the Rosetta Stone is a great alternative to watching TV for 2 hours every night. ;)

Malcolm
Triglot
Retired Moderator
Korea, South
Joined 7127 days ago

500 posts - 515 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 11 of 41
04 April 2005 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
I'm afraid I must agree with Delectric. Rosetta Stone is an excellent course provided that you have the time and patience to use it on a regular basis. However, I don't think it's useful for "easy" languages (i.e. European languages that use the roman alphabet). The best languages for Rosetta Stone are Mandarin, Korean, Vietnamese, etc. (the harder to pronounce, the better). The problem is that you have to keep using it over and over for the grammar to sink in. It really helps if you pronounce each sentence out loud after the speaker and then at the same time as the speaker to match their pronunciation and intonation.

As for "studying like a slave", I much prefer Ardaschir's analogy of "working like a monk". Slaves are generally unmotivated and seek to accomplish only the bare minimum to appease their master, while monks have a much stronger, more religious type motivation.

heartburn
United States
Joined 7019 days ago

355 posts - 350 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 12 of 41
04 April 2005 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Yes. Monks also have a lot more time than slaves (or husbands).

Edited by heartburn on 04 April 2005 at 11:48pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6957 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 13 of 41
19 June 2005 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
message edited out (by Nephilim) as irrelevant to the thread.

Edited by Nephilim on 25 June 2005 at 2:24am

ducr
Canada
Joined 6906 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: French

Message 14 of 41
24 June 2005 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
Nephilim wrote:
Has anyone ever used a programme called Rosetta Stone?

Hi Nephilim. Your message made me laugh. Did you not read any of this post? It’s all about Rosetta Stone.

Personally, I thought RS French II was a waste of time. Fortunately I did not spend any money on it (mine was borrowed) or I would've been very disappointed. The organization and titles of each lessons were not intuitive and I found that even the most advanced lessons in the program did not teach very advanced grammar structures. I thought the voice recognition module was more of a gimmick than something genuinely useful. Fastest way to learn a language? That was not my experience. I didn't feel challenged by it. That said...I did like the design and thought it was a visually attractive program, but I was bored with it after using it for about two weeks. Maybe if I was an absolute beginner it would have been more beneficial, but I think the conventional way of using an audio course like Pimsleur or FSI, a graduated reader, a grammar book and vocabulary flash cards is a much more effective way to learn a language, though certainly not as visually pleasing as RS.

This is just one person’s opinion. Other people like RS quite a lot, so don’t just take my word for it. If you can try it before purchasing it that would be what I would recommend.
Good luck.

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7130 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 41
24 June 2005 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
ducr, I see that you have rated yourself 8 in reading. Could it be that Rosetta Stone taught too basic vocabulary? I have never used Rosetta Stone formally before. But from what you're saying, it seems that the vocabulary taught might have been too easy.

jradetzky
Triglot
United Kingdom
geocities.com/jradet
Joined 7019 days ago

521 posts - 485 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanB1

Message 16 of 41
24 June 2005 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Rosetta Stone Polish I is great. I've learnt a lot of vocabulary with this programme. And it is fun.

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version