United States
Joined 6908 days ago

172 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: Ukrainian, Russian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 9 of 13
27 June 2005 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Well, I do not.
You may check other American indian languages, and also greenlandic (it has a different name), eskimo and such.
1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7045 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 10 of 13
28 June 2005 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
I remember reading similarly daunting descriptions of Quiche (Mayan), Inuit (Eskimo), and a number of other Native American languages. If I recall correctly, an anthropologist (?) named Greenberg has done a massive comparative survey of these tongues.

Diacritical marks themselves are not necessarily indicative of difficult pronunciation, but rather only of the fact that the alphabet being used to write them is ill-suited to that purpose.

If these languages are indeed more difficult to learn than East Asian languages, I suspect that it will be due to socio-linguistic factors rather than grammatical ones. Materials for learning them are bound to be much more limited, and so in order to do so, you would of necessity have to go and get members of relatively small and very difficernt cultural circles to accept you and let you live with them for a number of years. In other words, you can probably learn a much more considerable amount of Chinese from books and tapes than you can Navajo.

However, even if, for the sake of the arguement, we assume that it is more difficult to gain a command of spoken Navajo than of spoken Chinese, I still believe East Asian languages are going to be more difficult to master because they are literary vehicles that require mastery of very difficult script systems. Learn to speak Navajo and you are done; learn to speak Chinese and you are only just beginning.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Linas
Octoglot
Lithuania
Joined 6701 days ago

253 posts - 279 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Russian, Latvian, French, English, German, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Slovenian, Greek, Hungarian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese

Message 11 of 13
19 January 2006 at 7:44am | IP Logged 
Ardaschir wrote:
I remember reading similarly daunting descriptions of Quiche (Mayan), Inuit (Eskimo), and a number of other Native American languages. If I recall correctly, an anthropologist (?) named Greenberg has done a massive comparative survey of these tongues.

I do not know nothing about Quiche, but the grammar of Yucatec maya(related to Quiche) is considered relatively simple. I have heard that for African slaves brought to Yucatan it was easier to learn Maya than Spanish.
Inuit, on the other hand, is very complicated, and hardly is simpler than Navajo. There some other very difficult languages as Ojibwa/Chippewa(Algonkian family). Languages of South America as Quichua or Guarani, although are also agglutinative, are nevertheless IMHO simpler that North American languages.

Quote:
However, even if, for the sake of the arguement, we assume that it is more difficult to gain a command of spoken Navajo than of spoken Chinese, I still believe East Asian languages are going to be more difficult to master because they are literary vehicles that require mastery of very difficult script systems. Learn to speak Navajo and you are done; learn to speak Chinese and you are only just beginning.

Script of course adds difficulty to Chinese, but so does the fact that in order to perfectly master Chinese you must adopt an entirely different culture and philosophy. However there is also a philosophy behind Native American languages as well. I suspect that they regard the reality around us not as fixed things with frozen essences, but rather as a process which is continually changing and developping, so it could much better be described by a complex verbal phrase constructed "on the go" as one speaks, rather than by fixed vocabulary items, nouns, which represent the names of things.

Edited by Linas on 19 January 2006 at 7:45am

2 persons have voted this message useful

TDC
Triglot
United States
Joined 6710 days ago

261 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, French
Studies: Esperanto, Ukrainian, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Persian

Message 12 of 13
26 February 2006 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Learning to read Chinese isn't that difficult. It just takes time and practice. The more characters you know the easier they become. (Speaking from experience...I spent nearly 2 years in China ) Not to mention the fact that Chinese doesn't really have anything like grammar at all. Not really anyway. At least compared to Romance/Slavic languages.

n0thingness
Triglot
Paraguay
Joined 6634 days ago

29 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Portuguese, Spanish*, English
Studies: German, Mandarin, Japanese, Finnish

Message 13 of 13
28 February 2006 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Not to mention the fact that Chinese doesn't really have anything like grammar at all. Not really anyway. At least compared to Romance/Slavic languages. [/QUOTE]

don't say that way.. the fact is that Chinese grammar doesn't rely on morphology, that is on how word inflect, conjugate or simply change; but mostly, if not all, on word order.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version