Switzerland
Joined 6227 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 2
18 November 2007 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Professor Argüelles:
You have clearly outlined the amount of time it takes to learn a moderate amount of a language intensively, as opposed to over the course of years. Additionally, you have discussed the advantages of changing language frequently, after perhaps 20 minutes of study, to keep one's brain fresh.

I've recently tried to create a hybrid approach, based on these principles. The core idea is to divide time into two strictly alternating sets, of about 15-40 minutes of length, as attention and energy dictate: the first on one specific language of interest, while the latter is divided between several other languages, one per session, and occasional linguistic study (ie, reading parts of "The world's major languages", the biography of Mezzofanti, and language learning techniques), taking pains to make sure that this does not cut too deeply into time for actual language study.   

The key idea is to be able to make reasonably rapid progress in the language of focus, while minimizing the losses due to overly intensive study, and to simultaneously be able to work seriously on several other languages, while providing enough flexibility to experiment widely in what languages, combinations, and techniques work most effectively (while bearing in mind your advice against making too many adjustments in this area).

I'm currently finding this semi-structured approach quite useful; it's greatly increased the amount of time I'm spending studying, and the quality of my study as opposed to when I have tried somewhat more strict schedules in the past. I also made a serious attempt at setting absolutely strict study times for myself, based on your previous suggestion; unfortunately, this was an unmitigated failure at present (specifically, due to external constraints, the only way I could do this was by simultaneously changing my sleep schedule - this led to a couple of migraines, among other unpleasantries). Nonetheless, I intend to try a rigid schedule again in the future, as an experiment.

Have you heard of anything like this hybrid approach? Do you have any opinion on likely drawbacks or advantages of using it to systematically study languages? Do you have any idea how it will impact the amount of time needed for the language of focus, in terms of absolute hours?

Regards;
Volte

1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7044 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 2 of 2
25 November 2007 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Ms. Volte:

If I understand you correctly, your study session looks like:

Focal language for 15-40 minutes
Other language A for 15-40 minutes
Other language B for 15-40 minutes
Other language C for 15-40 minutes
Linguistic study for 15-40 minutes

I do not see any drawbacks to this schedule. I see the advantage of potential long-term cyclical balance in that languages A, B, and C in sequence can become the “focal language,” while D(utch?) can become an “other language.” I also see great advantages in that you have drawn it up yourself and that you are happy with the progress you are making because of it. I did not admonish so much against making excessive adjustments in one’s study methods as I did against spending too much time focusing one’s energies on devising better methods for studying instead of actually studying. As long as you are systematically doing the truly basic things (i.e., saying everything aloud and repeating and revising more than you add new material), then it does not really matter what particular method you use to study.

If you can manage to find your correct study stride so that you can maintain this kind of schedule on a systematically regular basis, and if your focal language is indeed Dutch or another Class I language, then you should be able to make great progress quite rapidly—more rapidly with each language of special interest. I do not know what notch of the ladder your currently stand upon so I cannot say just how dramatic the impact upon the absolute number of hours needed to learn should be, but it should be perceptible.

I am sorry to hear that you had difficulties when you attempted to change your sleep schedule because doing precisely this is one area in which I would encourage a good deal of experimentation. If you are not sleeping according to your body’s own internal clock, you are probably sleeping more hours than you need, and probably also being less alert and energetic as a direct result of this oversleeping. If you can ever manage to arrange to spend a number of weeks in isolation, then you should definitely use this time to surrender entirely to your natural inclinations to sleep or wake. If you can find your natural sleep rhythm in such a fashion, and if the demands of your family/professional/social life will permit you to sleep accordingly, then you can claim many hours of additional conscious existence to use for your studies.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version