Fulwin
United States
Joined 6095 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 1 of 5
19 November 2007 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
Every book I get seems to be written with vosotros, and I want to learn Mexican words.
1 person has voted this message useful

sole
Diglot
United States
Joined 6064 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Tagalog, English*
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 5
28 November 2007 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
uh, pick a Mexican novel instead of a Spanish one?

labouillie
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6125 days ago

91 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: Haitian Creole, English*
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 3 of 5
30 November 2007 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
Aura by Carlos Fuentes and La Casa en Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros are popular Mexican novels.

Both are available on audiobook, as well, if you want to shadow the dialogue. Carlos and his daughter Natasha are the narrators for Aura. Liliana Valenzuela, a native Mexican, does the narration for La Casa en Mango Street. There's an audio sample of La Casa en Mango Street at http://www.randomhouse.com/audio/catalog/display.pperl?isbn= 9780739322802.

Kualidu
Triglot
Groupie
Mexico
Joined 6015 days ago

93 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: GermanB1

Message 4 of 5
14 December 2007 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
You may want to try Librerías Gandhi on-line. This is the most renown bookstore chain in Mexico, so they're pretty reliable. They deliver anywhere around the world through Fedex. So now all you need now is to choose your favorite writers.

Librerias Gandhi

By the way, Sandra Cisneros is not Mexican but a chicana writer from Chicago. I read her book in English so I can't tell what kind of Spanish was used in the translation but I don't think they'd use Castilian.

Alexandra
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5907 days ago

19 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese

Message 5 of 5
02 May 2008 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
My favorite Mexican author is Ángeles Mastretta, even though Silvia Molina, Laura Esquivel and Elena Poniatowska, just to name a few, certainly deserve being mentioned.

As to where to get them - check you local library first. If you really like it and want to have your own copy, see if Amazon has it used - I bought some of the books I own for real peanuts.

Good luck!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version