Vocabulearn

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
Tom79
United Kingdom
Joined 6033 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes

Message 1 of 8
20 November 2007 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
Hi all, would using vocabulearn be a good idea? What is your opinion of vocabulearn?

Thanks for your time.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bruce
Groupie
United States
Joined 6034 days ago

65 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German

Message 2 of 8
20 November 2007 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
Here is an older thread about Vocabulearn:
Vocabulearn

I have the set for Spanish and I found it incredibly boring and slow. I used the booklets to make files in my flashcard software.

zigzag
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6374 days ago

50 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 8
20 November 2007 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Well, if you want to learn words like "snowplow" then it is ideal for you.
I never used this word in english actively before and I will probably never use it in Spanish and, as far as I remember - I never used it in German.
So the vocabulary is not useful and the way it is presented -halfway first English then Spanish, the other half otherway round is - for me - not useful.
I regret having bought these CDs.

Edited by zigzag on 20 November 2007 at 11:51am

ChrisWebb
United Kingdom
Joined 6074 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 
Studies: Korean

Message 4 of 8
21 November 2007 at 5:05am | IP Logged 
I picked up the vocabulearn Korean, Vocabulearn can be had pretty cheaply if you shop around. In my opinion they are not great but for the price they arent a complete waste either. If there is some other resource you are thinking of buying then I'd say its likely that you should buy that before Vocabulearn.

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6229 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 5 of 8
21 November 2007 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
I like the Vocabulearn series. I'm using it for Italian, and I would say I have retained something like 95% of the first set. I have however, used audacity to make the CD's into smaller tracks i.e. with 7-8 words per track.

mcjon77
United States
Joined 6422 days ago

193 posts - 248 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Egyptian), French

Message 6 of 8
21 November 2007 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
I'm using vocabulearn now. It could be much better. Here are a few of the problems I have encountered:
1) Does not focus on the most common words and includes many that are completely irrelevent for most people. Had they used a frequency dictionary to devise their list, it would have been more effective.

2) Definitions chosen for the word were put in hastily and are sometimes not accurate or at least not the primary definition of the word. Example: sauve is Spanish for soft, as is blando. Vocabulearn has sauve as being Spanish for bland.

There are other problems, but most relate to the two I mentioned above. I chose it because it was the largest vocabulary list being sold that actually had audio recordings of all of the words.

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6461 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 7 of 8
21 November 2007 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
mcjon77 wrote:
2) Definitions chosen for the word were put in hastily and are sometimes not accurate or at least not the primary definition of the word. Example: sauve is Spanish for soft, as is blando. Vocabulearn has sauve as being Spanish for bland.

I have the Vocabulearn Polish CDs (just a dalliance) and I agree with this.

It's annoying to only hear a one-to-one definition when most words have multiple meanings. I know it would be rather difficult to give more than that without confusing a new learner, but it's still annoying.

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4859 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 8 of 8
23 August 2011 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently learning Spanish. I have finished Pimsleur Spanish I, II and III.
If I learn the first 2000 words of Vocabulearn then it might happen that I'll know some not really necessary words (like snow plow), but even so, I'll know 98% of the 1000-1800 most frequent words as well. Am I right?
I know that if I only know one or maybe two meanings of a Spanish word then I won't possess the word with all of its strength, but if I not only learn the 2000 words but even read some text (like online Spanish newspapers and other "hard-to-understand" native materials) then I'll surely be able to understand written Spanish (considering my brain doesn't function under the average human brain, and I won't just read it, but rather look up the unknown words in a good dictionary and ask a navite about sentences I don't understand).
I'm curently not interested in understanding spoken Spanish beyond Pimsleur.
So what do you think?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version