Gregg Cox "Greatest Living Linguist"

Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
34 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6410 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 1 of 34
23 November 2007 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
I only saw brief mention of Gregg Cox in an old thread so I thought I'd give him his own thread.

http://www.multilanguage.org/

He's quite accomplished.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6002 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 2 of 34
23 November 2007 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the link. It's a pity there isn't very much other information I can find right at this moment - nothing on YouTube as far as I can see, no Wikipedia entry. How did you find him (or do you perhaps even know him?) ?

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6410 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish

Message 3 of 34
23 November 2007 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
Just came across the page.

For some reason I thought I might find more about Ziad Fazah by going to the Guinness World Records homepage (nothing there), but while searching around on some other pages that came up with Google, someone mentioned the term "Greatest Living Linguist" as being the name of the category that Guinness used.

So I plugged that into Google and this is what came up.

He has a bunch of books on Amazon that seem to all be out-of-print (I think they were printed in the early 90s).

daristani
United States
Joined 6904 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 4 of 34
23 November 2007 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
Here's some more background on him; the way it's written I presume the info may have come from the man himself.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_about_Gregg_Cox-Greatest_ling uist

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6410 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 

Message 5 of 34
23 November 2007 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
daristani wrote:
Here's some more background on him; the way it's written I presume the info may have come from the man himself.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_about_Gregg_Cox-Greatest_ling uist

Thanks for the contribution.

Yeah, that's autobiographical or at least a very 'official' biography. Wouldn't you, at some point, stop writing the name 'Gregg' and just putting 'he'?

Good stuff.

Scott Horne
Canada
Joined 5985 days ago

34 posts - 38 votes

Message 6 of 34
23 November 2007 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
Once more, just a lot of unverifiable and highly improbable claims. We don't even get a list of the languages that this guy allegedly speaks. Which are the universities from which he allegedly obtained his degrees? Which are the ones that have allegedly appointed him professor? What are the titles of the scores of books that he has allegedly written?

And his approach is to enrol in language classes? Come on! That's a very inefficient way to learn a language. Those of us who actually have learnt multiple languages tend to develop our own methods. We don't sign up for classes in the hope of finding a competent teacher.

I don't have the time to criticise this piece of self-promotional puffery in more detail.

5 persons have voted this message useful

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6410 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 

Message 7 of 34
23 November 2007 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
This is an article about the alphabet he devised:

http://www.hindu.com/2006/03/12/stories/2006031206840300.htm

Another one:

http://www.hindu.com/2005/10/28/stories/2005102803920200.htm

EDIT: A blog posting about the alphabet:

http://www.coorg.org/2006/05/16/drgregg-cox-develops-script- for-coorg-language/

And his response:

Gregg Cox on September 12, 2006 7:32 am

I would like to thank everyone for both their positive and negative comments. It should be known that I created this alphabet out of love for the area and its people, and at the request of many from Coorg during one of my stays. The response has been simply amazing. I have received letters and cards written in the new alphabet and have even been told of several classes teaching it. Currently a dictionary and a phrasebook are being developed in the new script. (Which will be distributed for free) In addition to the dictionary and phrase book mentioned, a set of school books are also being developed.

Edited by apparition on 23 November 2007 at 1:27pm

Scott Horne
Canada
Joined 5985 days ago

34 posts - 38 votes

Message 8 of 34
23 November 2007 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
That alphabet looks ridiculous. The difficulty of distinguishing the vowel letters makes it unsuitable for practical use. Besides, devising an ad hoc alphabet makes no sense; it would be far better to use an existing Indian script or the Latin alphabet.

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version