mcjon77
United States
Joined 6393 days ago

193 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Egyptian), French

Message 25 of 34
29 November 2007 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
Have there been any fraudulent claims that this guy has made? I understand that many may not like his dictionary, however, I haven't seen any statements Mr. Cox has made that would make me think he is a fraud.

As far as the dictionary is concerned, I also see some of the flaws behind its concept and implimentation. However, I also commend him on following his dream of creating the dictionary and attempting to contribute something of value to the language learning community.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 34
29 November 2007 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
I have followed the links provided above without finding any fraudulent claims made by himself - in fact it seems that he only has claimed to speak 14 languages, which is quite feasible, and the rest would then be passive languages (although the sources aren't exactly plentiful and overtly trustworthy). The problem is that Guinness apparently have accepted the tests made by Mr. Cox as proof that he speaks those languages, which maybe says more about Guinness than about Mr. Cox.

But judged by the extract the dictionary still is a joke. Albeit a joke that ought to figure in Guinness as the largest worthless dictionary in the world.

Edited by Iversen on 23 October 2008 at 9:21am

Tigresuisse
Triglot
SwitzerlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5787 days ago

182 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian

Message 27 of 34
23 October 2008 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
Hi guys !!
I'm sorry to bring this thread alive after so long time ...

but this morning I read an article about Mr. Cox and his dictionary in the "Deutsch Perfekt" magazine which is a magazine created for people learning German, and in this article Cox says it has done language exams in 64 languages.
The dictionary he did has 25 volumes and covers 8'000 words translated into 225 languages ....

Do you think something has changed???

Bye
Marta

Fat-tony
Nonaglot
United Kingdom
jiahubooks.co.uk
Joined 5922 days ago

288 posts - 441 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, Esperanto, Thai, Laotian, Urdu, Swedish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian, Arabic (Written), Armenian, Pali, Burmese

Message 28 of 34
23 October 2008 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
Tigresuisse wrote:
Cox says he has done language exams in 64 languages.

It may not be a major point in this debate but I would certainly consider it possible to have taken and passed
military exams in 64 languages, although it wouldn't really mean anything without mentioning what level you
achieved.
At level one, a decent knowledge of a related language would easily enable you to pass as there is no writing
exam and the speaking part is very basic (the conversion follows a set plan and you have to deal with a few,
fairly predictable, transactions). I would certainly feel comfortable taking a level one exam in any of the
Romance or Slavonic languages after just a few days study given my solid base in French, Spanish and Russian.
That could give you around 15 national languages (and more "minority" languages), repeat for Germanic, Indic,
Iranian, Arabic+Dialects etc, etc and 64 is easily achievable.
The definitions and details of the military levels and exams can be found
here.

amberblueaz
United States
Joined 5627 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 29 of 34
23 November 2008 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

I have a question for those of you who are questioning the validity of a man that you don't even know. Is it a jealous reaction? Looking up information on "Google" and basing the searches on jealous feelings will never allow you to find credible information.

What is wonderful, is that without even asking Dr. Cox what is true, people come to their own conclusions. I know that Dr. Cox does what he does out of the passion for language...not to impress you. Just an FYI...the "Greatest Living Linguist" site was made for him...not by him...and by true friends and admirer's.

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6928 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 30 of 34
24 November 2008 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
amberblueaz wrote:
Hello,

I have a question for those of you who are questioning the validity of a man that you don't even know. Is it a jealous reaction? Looking up information on "Google" and basing the searches on jealous feelings will never allow you to find credible information.

What is wonderful, is that without even asking Dr. Cox what is true, people come to their own conclusions. I know that Dr. Cox does what he does out of the passion for language...not to impress you. Just an FYI...the "Greatest Living Linguist" site was made for him...not by him...and by true friends and admirer's.

That was my reaction as well. I have had many newspaper articles written about what I teach (in the areas of mathematics and study methods mainly) and most misrepresent what I say. I used to get upset and embarrassed. Now I give my own handout notes to the reporter. I know the mistakes aren't deliberate, but I have sometimes been attacked for them.

I am impressed by what I have read about him.

I don't understand the comment made that he hasn't read his books on the shelf. I can't tell which books he has or hasn't read.

amberblueaz
United States
Joined 5627 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 31 of 34
24 November 2008 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
Very well said. Who really can say what a person has or has not done? Books in a picture can never tell someone if they have been read or not. I know that in my life I have read some very well written books. Sometimes I lose them and buy them again just to keep them in my library. They may not be worn, but that does not mean that I have never read the book before.

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6385 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 34
19 September 2009 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
I've resurrected this old thread because I've come across the transcript (in German) of a relatively recent radio interview in which he appears.

Here we learn where his 225-volume dictionary ended up: he donated it to Universität Bremen.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version