United States
Joined 5761 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 10
01 February 2010 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
This a a very good insight into the language-learning process, even if the metaphor, maybe, should not be extended. Sure, both language and bread "bake," but you can also say that both will go stale, if you leave them alone for too long.

I'm especially glad to read point #3, as I've just started my third foreign language. I was a little concerned about the others, but I realize that I shouldn't be too worried. I won't let them get old and dry, and if they do, no problem; they can be croutons in a word salad, fun and crunchy!

In my (limited, of course) experience, it seems true that the mind continues to process and consolidate knowledge subconsciously. Often, I understand something only after I've let it rest in the mind for a while. Sometimes when you think and think and just can't seem to solve a problem, the answer only comes to you after you've put the matter aside for a while, and that's the point of the oven comparison, anyway.

But--I wonder--if the mind is an oven . . .

. . why can't it be self-cleaning ?
2 persons have voted this message useful

mustwander
Triglot
United States
Joined 5193 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish

Message 10 of 10
17 February 2010 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Very true, when I focus on Italian until I am totally disgusted with it, vice a versa Spanish and then switch to the other language, it almost sounds fresh and I almost see and hear the language I neglected as a natural language due to its absence. It is refreshing as well to liberate myself from the other language that I may have been spending much time on.

I also like to use bilingual dictionary, like my Spanish-Italian, Italian-Napulitano, and randomely flip through them. Often I don't even need to refer to an English reference to figure the words out especially if the dictionary is accompanied with idiomatic phrases. Also studying one target grammer with the other secondary language is a powerful exchange.

When I watch an hour of one language and switch to the other channel it's as if I'm almost listening to my native language like once familier sounds etc...

Edited by mustwander on 17 February 2010 at 8:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version