Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 131
30 November 2007 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
A relatively frequent topic on this forum is achieving "perfect" or "indistinguishable from native a native speaker" pronunciation. Any number of theories on how to do this have been proposed. One of the more popular ones is shadowing, but it's also clear that it's possible to have a non-native accent despite extensive shadowing (cf ProfArguelles' posts, mentioning extensive shadowing, but nonetheless having a slight foreign accent).

My question has a few components:
- Who on this forum has achieved 'perfect pronunciation' in a non-native language, starting after adolescence? (Pointers to people outside of the forum who have indisputably done so, and are still alive, are also ok).
- How? What techniques did you use: shadowing, immersion, silent periods, working with professional speech therapists, some combination, none of these..?
- How specific of an accent did you aim for: a town/region, a country, a particular subgroup, a 'standard educated' accent, or..? How did you decide?
- Did you attempt to limit your exposure to other accents at any point(s) during this process?

Please don't answer this with theories which aren't backed up with examples of one or more people who have used them successfully: either yourself, or someone who has documented it thoroughly.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6123 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 2 of 131
30 November 2007 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
If I might add another question: do you think it is possible to get a native accent once you already know a language but got used to pronounce it incorrectly (in my case, English)?
1 person has voted this message useful

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6440 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 3 of 131
30 November 2007 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
I've heard so many native speakers of English mispronounce English words that I believe that "perfect" pronunciation is not as common (at least among English speakers) as we might think. Perhaps a more desirable or practical goal would be the ability to pronounce words as a reasonably well educated native speaker.

I think it's tough to acquire a truly native accent. I started to study French well before puberty and had considerable exposure to native speakers. I studied French for eight years. Native speakers have said nice things about my French. They've told me that I don't sound American, but they're never quite sure where I'm from. My native Cleveland accent doesn't come through in my French; I've been taken for British and German.

I went to college in Vermont, and I remember consciously modeling my accent on both French and Quebecois influences at various times.   

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 4 of 131
30 November 2007 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
SamD wrote:
I've heard so many native speakers of English mispronounce English words that I believe that "perfect" pronunciation is not as common (at least among English speakers) as we might think. Perhaps a more desirable or practical goal would be the ability to pronounce words as a reasonably well educated native speaker.

I put 'perfect pronunciation' in quotes. By this I mean correct pronunciation of all phonemes in the language, not just individually, but also in all the combinations that occur in the language (ie, if a language has one t and one r sound, as well as 'tr', to be able to pronounce all 3 correctly, and regardless of what the previous or next syllable is). I'd include correct prosody in this definition as well.

I don't mean pronouncing every single word correctly all the time; as you pointed out, everyone, including native speakers, is incapable of that. I mean pronunciation which is consistently mistaken for native, by other native speakers, and ideally not only ones who are from areas with wildly divergent accents or dialects from the accent you adopt.

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6684 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 5 of 131
30 November 2007 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
After having read your first post in this thread I felt intimidated; now after thix explanation I can try to write something... My German pronunciation is certainly not perfect (I've recorded my voice so you can listen to it) but as far as I can pronounce all the phonemes correctly, and I usually do it (at least I was told it, although I've been almost begging my language exchange partner recently to find something wrong in my pronunciation;)). I still have problems with prosody, particularly by reading - I have an impression it just doesn't sound German enough to me. My intonation is much better and more natural when I speak. I've managed twice to pass for a native speaker so far ;).

I used to speak and hear German frequently so the immersion was probably the most important method (although I've never spent in a German-speaking country more than a month). I asked German speakers a lot if I pronounce a particular sound correctly and I kept repeating it until they thought it was better (or maybe they were just fed up with my pronunciation ;)). I read pretty much about German phonetics and tried to learn the pronunciation as a system. I also read how to pronounce some louds, and I had phonetics class as the university (one semester). That would be all, I guess.

I don't aim for a very specific accent (although I do plan to go to Germany for a year maybe and then I'll probably pick up the accent of place where I'll be living). I chose South German accent because I had more exposure it and I liked it more than the North one.

I didn't limited exposure to other accents. What I like about German language is its diversity. It would be a pity to avoid it, even if my accent is worse due to exposure to many variants of the language. I couldn't even think of an example in which the gender gives a different meaning.

By the way, I passed twice for a native speaker from... Austria (and Austrians said so) which was kind of strange as my exposure to this accent was minimal. I even joked later that maybe all my pronunciation mistakes are just differences between German and Austrian pronunciation... But it was interesting to me. I guess it could be because of my intonation (I have an impression that the Austrian intonation is much closer to Polish than the German one).

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 6 of 131
01 December 2007 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
siomotteikiru relayed this to me via email, in response to this thread and a question I asked on the definition of "natural listening"; it is reproduced below, with permission.

Siomotteikiru wrote:

Natural listening: you understand the gist of completely new texts recorded by native speakers, the texts can be quite easy. You should stop blind shadowing. Repeating after the recording without having done a great deal of "phonetic listning" is a source of hell of a lot of mistakes and a waste of time and energy. You should first know theoretically how to pronounce, then compare with your mother tongue, then be able to hear the phonetic phenomena in the texts you're listening to, and then try to shadow - you try a word (or even a syllable), if the result is good, you repeat it many, many times, you hear (many times), you repeat, you hear, you repeat, you hear, you repeat. If a word or a syllable turns out to be difficult, you do not try to pronounce it again, you just listen (many times). I was not able to say the German "r", what I did: I recorded the sound (nothing else) - it was more than and hour!!! - and just listened. And then, suddenly, I had no trouble at all. Sometimes it is good to speak your own language the way a L2 speaker would do, just to feel the difference. (Imagine you're learning Spanish, try to speak English the way a Spaniard would do. First listen to a Spaniard speaking English, but s/he can't be fluent in English, the closer her English pronunciation is to Spanish the better). You can post this in your thread.

Denitsa
Tetraglot
Bulgaria
Joined 6444 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
1 sounds
Speaks: Bulgarian*, EnglishC2, German, Russian
Studies: Swiss-German, French

Message 7 of 131
01 December 2007 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
I couldn't find specific information on how exactly she did it (except that she studied in a language school and later in an university in Bulgaria), but apparently the English pronunciation of the Bulgarian journalist Ralitsa Vassileva is good enough to allow her to present the world news on CNN.
Some videos can be found here.

aru-aru
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 6238 days ago

244 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, Russian

Message 8 of 131
01 December 2007 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
I guess it's all about the amount of exposure. My mother started learning russian in her late teens (school), and, after long years working in a company where most of the staff were russian speaking, she got so good some people even thought she was joking when she claimed not to be a native speaker. It was not just about the pronounciation and grammar, she also used many idioms and stuff when she spoke.
Now when she's been retired for quite a while, her native accent is getting noticeable again.

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version