131 messages over 17 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 16 17 Next >>
Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6809 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 131
01 December 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
Perfection in a second language (i.e. native speaker equivalence) is necessarily an elusive target, and this does not only apply to pronunciation but also to use of words and grammar.

I believe that in my French, Mandarin and Japanese and even Spanish, my pronunciation is close to native, so that a few short sentences could fool a native speaker but if I talk long enough I will be identified as non-native. I think it will be as much errors that I make in grammar or choice of words, as pronunciation that will sink me. I think that my pronunciation of German and Swedish is also pretty good, but syntactical errors are even greater.

Anyone interested can check youtube for my name or go to www.thelinguist.com and listen to my cheesy videos. And I know I will get the usual number of detractors and critics, but I know very well whereof I speak.

The key to good pronunciation (as opposed to the elusive native or perfect) is lots of listening, in my view. I have never bothered with the phonetic alphabet, nor with trying to pronounce individual sounds. I rely on lots of listening. I do not bother with comparing my own to the native speaker until I have had many many months of listening. I do not shadow, although I do occasional repeat phrases that are still running around in my brain. I really do not want my own, still crude pronunciation to interfere with what I am trying to internalize. Eventually I start to speak, and the pronunciation continues to improve, as my general familiarity with the language improves.

Of course I have an easier time than most with new languages, since I have already learned quite a few languages and therefore accumulated a familiarity with a range of sounds. I am not in any sense musical.

3 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6456 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 18 of 131
01 December 2007 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
Music talent isn't the skill for a perfect native accent. The best talented artists are professional impersonators. They are very good faking foreign accents with no idea of the language. Use their techniques.

1 person has voted this message useful

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6809 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish

Message 19 of 131
01 December 2007 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
slucido is right. When speaking a foreign language you are playing a new role, acting, and even pretending to be something you are not.. You have to get into the personality and imitate the behaviour of someone of a different culture. The lighter you are culturally, the smaller your own cultural ego, the easier it is to imitate someone of a different culture.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sunny
Groupie
United States
Joined 6029 days ago

98 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Welsh, French

Message 20 of 131
01 December 2007 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
I have to second the idea that passing for a native in another language is an act of impersonation.
I started impersonating different accents as a child. In Middle school my French teacher remarked on my perfect pronunciation.

When I went to Germany in July at level A2 in my German, what I was able to say to people led them to believe that 1) I wasn't as bad at German as I said I was, or 2) that I was a native. Even passport control seemed very surprised that I was American.

As an American English speaker, I have found that the way one has to hold the internal muscles in one's mouth differs between the different groups of languages. In fact I'd say that even the British are more closely related to German speakers in that regard that they are to Americans. I have an American friend who has lived in Europe for 17 years and while his German is perfect as far as grammar, he still sounds like an American speaking German. I found it VERY difficult to transition from speaking German, to speaking American English, but not nearly as difficult transitioning to British English.

The first task in mastering a language in my mind is to master the use of the different muscles, the different way of holding the tongue, and consistent production of the unique sounds that each language has. This makes it more of a challenge right off, but if one wants to sound like a native, then that is what needs to be done right away so one doesn't learn bad habits. That is what is taking me a bit of time with my Russian: I am working on being able to replicate the sounds in the language as consistently as possible, first. I use music to do this. I spend a lot of time singing along to cds in the car.

I hope this is helpful.

glossa.passion
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6102 days ago

267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1, Danish
Studies: Spanish, Dutch

Message 21 of 131
02 December 2007 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
furyou_gaijin wrote:
Pronunciation is traditionally the most underestimated component of the language study yet a very important one.

I've recently read in a foreword of a book, that a languagelearner should strive for 100 % pronounciation, 50 % grammar and 1 % vocabulary of a new language. Since I've read that, I reconsider my ways of language learning.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6053 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 22 of 131
02 December 2007 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
glossa.passion wrote:
furyou_gaijin wrote:
Pronunciation is traditionally the most underestimated component of the language study yet a very important one.

I've recently read in a foreword of a book, that a languagelearner should strive for 100 % pronounciation, 50 % grammar and 1 % vocabulary of a new language. Since I've read that, I reconsider my ways of language learning.

I don't agree with that. It sounds like a recipe for perfect elocution in a foreign language, some grasp of the grammar and being able to say, read and understand practically nothing.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6809 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 

Message 23 of 131
02 December 2007 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
glossa.passion wrote:

This subject could be a new thread.

Strive 100% for comprehension, in listening and reading. In doing so you will need to focus mostly on vocabulary, to a much lesser extent on grammar and not at all on pronunciation. Once you understand what you hear, once you have converted indiscriminate sounds into words and meaning, you will have trained the brain to become familiar with the language.Then you can start working on pronunciation.

Without words you can neither understand nor speak. To me the simplest measurement of how you are doing in a language is the number of words you know, as long as they are acquired through listening and reading.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 131
02 December 2007 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
glossa.passion wrote:

If I had read that in the foreword of a book I would have expected the rest to be just as absurd and thrown the whole thing into the dustbin. You need some measure of equilibrium where people can understand what you say AND you have something to say even while you are learning the language, - and to fool the true natives even the most perfect pronunciation wouldn't save you if the rest of your skills were mediocre or non-existant.

Edited by Iversen on 02 December 2007 at 12:24pm

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version