131 messages over 17 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 16 17 Next >>
Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6810 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 41 of 131
02 December 2007 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
"Something you stopped doing" so, furyou gaijin, you were a simultaneous interpreter before. Aha! But I harbour no suspicions about you.

But my question remains. What is this nobler activity that your contact was involved with that was "way above" interpreting at the UN and EC?
1 person has voted this message useful

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6168 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 
Speaks: Latin*

Message 42 of 131
03 December 2007 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi wrote:
But my question remains. What is this nobler activity that your contact was involved with that was "way above" interpreting at the UN and EC?

The gentleman in question used to work with country leaders and had actually retired long before the EU was created.

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6168 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 

Message 44 of 131
03 December 2007 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
leserables wrote:
It doesn't matter, I think most activities are nobler than parrotting, albeit in a different language someone else's wise words.

In fact, this is exactly the reason why most people quitting the profession do so.

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6810 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish

Message 45 of 131
03 December 2007 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
furyou_gaijin wrote:
[QUOTE=Zhuangzi] But my question remains. What is this nobler activity that your contact was involved with that was "way above" interpreting at the UN and EC?

The gentleman in question used to work with country leaders and had actually retired long before the EU was created.[/QUOTE

I have interpreted for government representatives and in my experience the interpreters were always well versed ahead of time, and were anxious to be accurate and to get the correct emphasis and nuance. I cannot imagine a world leader who would want his interpreter to follow what you described in your earlier post, namely...

" The fewer words you have in your active vocab - the easier it is to come up with the translation. ... (use a)monotonous delivery .... too much variety in intonation
wake up your listeners... most of your mistakes would pass unnoticed unless you yourself would make a big deal out of them in front of your audience..."

As to the craft of interpreting, it is like any skill. Those who have the aptitude to cope with the challenge are usually able to achieve satisfaction from meeting those challenges, as long as they enjoy the task itself.If they do not they should choose another trade. A carpenter need not be an architect.

I enjoyed interpreting, albeit consecutively, and enjoyed listening to the solutions that my counterpart on the other side came up with if there were two interpreters.

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6168 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 

Message 46 of 131
03 December 2007 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi wrote:

I have interpreted for government representatives and in my experience the interpreters were always well versed
ahead of time, and were anxious to be accurate and to get the correct emphasis and nuance.

Oh yes. True artists play it by ear, everyone else has to do their homework. And by having been extremely
successful in their trade for decades people gain the right to pass on a few 'shortcuts' to a younger generation,
no matter how controversial these may seem to some.

Zhuangzi wrote:

As to the craft of interpreting, it is like any skill. Those who have the aptitude to cope with the challenge are
usually able to achieve satisfaction from meeting those challenges, as long as they enjoy the task itself.If they do
not they should choose another trade. A carpenter need not be an architect.

And once the challenge has been met, and met again, they may get bored and move on looking for a new
challenge.

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6810 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 

Message 47 of 131
03 December 2007 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
I am taking you at your word that you are a furyou gaijin, and that you and your mentor are artists at interpreting.

I no longer know how this thread got here from perfect pronunciation, but, in general, the greater the vocabulary, the better the understanding of the language, and therefore vocabulary should, in my view, be the area of concentration in language study, as long as it is acquired naturally from content, and not crammed from isolated lists.

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6168 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 

Message 48 of 131
03 December 2007 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi wrote:
I am taking you at your word ... that you and your mentor are artists at interpreting.

Me?! He-he. :-) Flattery will take you far, for sure. :-)

Zhuangzi wrote:
I no longer know how this thread got here from perfect pronunciation,

Wait... so it wasn't because you felt the need to challenge some tricks of the trade passed on in a rather
anecdotal form?! :-)

Anyway, I'm glad that you finally agree that going on about this is no longer adding value to this thread. :-)

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version