Dana7
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6188 days ago

32 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, French

Message 57 of 131
05 December 2007 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
There are a ton of British, Irish, and Australian actors whose American accents are so good I can never believe that they aren't American. There aren't as many differences between varieties of English as there are between different languages, of course, but at least it proves that it's not impossible to use another accent flawlessly.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6675 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 58 of 131
06 December 2007 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
virgule wrote:
Oddly enough, I believe I have. I say oddly enough, because it was never a specific aim of mine. I first started learning the language in school ...

Interesting to read virgule, and thanks for sharing. But would you mind telling us which is your native language, and which is the target language that you have achieved a native accent in?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6675 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 59 of 131
06 December 2007 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:
I believe, despite what so many people say that a native accent and intonation, or at least very near native, is obtainable by the majority of us. It's not magic, it's just training. A lot of that training is mental though: the people have to believe they can do it, and really want to.

I'd agree. And most of all they need to be willing to put in all the hard work to get there. A lot of people just don't realise how much effort it takes, and if they did, most of them would not be willing to pay the price.

It seems the majority are content to just get on with it and use the language, in whatever way they can, never mind how thick their accents are and unaware what an obstacle to communication it is. And it's all too easy to find excuses to convince yourself that it's "impossible".

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6456 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 60 of 131
06 December 2007 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi wrote:

I do not agree with him, though, that you have to live in the country to achieve good pronunciation. Nor does it necessarily matter. I spent an evening the other day with an immigrant of 40 years to Canada, who worked in senior positions in finance here. His pronunciation was awful. I have met people in China whio have never left the country and yet who sound almost native in English.

My Mandarin pronunciation is close to native, and was achieved without ever living in a country where Mandarin was spoken. On the other hand I listened over and over to Mandarin content, especially content with a heavy colloquial (if rather specialized) the Xiang Sheng. I have listened to MaxB (member of this forum) who learned his Mandarin in Sweden, and his pronunciation is probably better than mine.

Sure you can find people who live in your country and speak English with awful pronunciation. I find a lot of people who has been living in Spain for years and speak Spanish very bad or with strong foreing accent. That's out of the question.

I am talking about the average learner and no about gifted or extraordinary ones.

I mean if people don't live a few years in their target language country, with full immersion, is very very difficult to achieve a native pronunciation for the average learner. And sure, a lot of people don't achieve this native like pronunciation in spite of living in the foreign country.

Maybe native pronunciation is possible to the average learner without living in the country, but if the target language is their profession. I mean 8-10 hours with the target language every day and for years.

Edited by slucido on 06 December 2007 at 5:56am

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6809 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 61 of 131
06 December 2007 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
Slucido,

I simply do not agree. It depends on the attitude and effort of the learner. Yo can create your own language environment, wherever you are. You can listen all the time on your MP3 player. You need to be willing to play act, and to leave the comfort of our own language and culture.

We simply have too many immigrants here with heavy accents to suggest that living in the country is the solution to accent reduction.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 62 of 131
06 December 2007 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
I have to agree with Zhuangzi: living in an area that speaks your target language, it is perfectly possible to maintain a strong foreign accent; I've done so. What he says about being able to achieve a near-native accent without living in an area where the language is spoken is fascinating, though, and I don't think it's fair to dismiss as something "out of the reach of the average learner", available only to the gifted or extraordinary, without having a better idea of how to do it.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6456 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 63 of 131
06 December 2007 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi wrote:

I simply do not agree. It depends on the attitude and effort of the learner. Yo can create your own language environment, wherever you are. You can listen all the time on your MP3 player. You need to be willing to play act, and to leave the comfort of our own language and culture.

I understand what you are saying, but people has to work maybe 8 or 10 hours every day and people had children. People usually spend those hours talking in their own language.

On the other hand, people like me get a phenomenal headaches using mp3 player more than   45 minutes every day.

Zhuangzi wrote:

We simply have too many immigrants here with heavy accents to suggest that living in the country is the solution to accent reduction.

Most of them are living in ghettos. It is not full immersion in the country.

Please,I am not saying is the solution, but one necessary condition for the average learner to achieve "native" pronunciation. And not only living, but full immersion into the country. On the other hand, I am sure the average learner will fail to get native pronunciation in spite full immersion. Actually, average people fail to learn any language at all.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6456 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 64 of 131
06 December 2007 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
I have to agree with Zhuangzi: living in an area that speaks your target language, it is perfectly possible to maintain a strong foreign accent; I've done so. What he says about being able to achieve a near-native accent without living in an area where the language is spoken is fascinating, though, and I don't think it's fair to dismiss as something "out of the reach of the average learner", available only to the gifted or extraordinary, without having a better idea of how to do it.

I agree with you. You can live years in a country and don't get native pronunciation. In fact, you can live years in a country and do not learn the language at all.

We are not talking about "near-native" pronunciation, but "native"pronunciation. This is an impossible goal for the average learner.

And yes is fascinating... all fantasies are.

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version