Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What really matters in language learning?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
41 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>
Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6839 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 41
05 December 2007 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
There are 4 key factors.

1) Attitude: The most important factor.

Mind over matter. Mind is your will and determination and your interest. Matter is your brain. Your will can influence your brain. Only a small percentage of people are motivated enough to improve. It does not matter where I go, I find the same thing. One need not be motivated to be perfect , or even to be correct, just to constantly improve.

2) The learning method: The second most important factor.

This will vary to some extent from person to person, but it has to be based on doing things that you like to do, so that you will put in enough time to really make a difference.

3) The language environment: This is important, but you can influence it.

Not all people who live where the language is spoken improve. Many people improve without living where the language is spoken. You can create your own language environment.

4) Your aptitude: This is the least important factor.

Aptitude does not matter since there is nothing you can do about it. You can control the other three factors to a large extent. Your aptitude is what it is. Often it is the result of your attitude as much as any inherent aptitude. So work on the first three and forget the question of your aptitude.

1 person has voted this message useful

Cisa
Super Polyglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6230 days ago

312 posts - 309 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Hungarian*, Slovak, FrenchC1, EnglishC2, Mandarin, SpanishB2, RussianB2, GermanB2, Korean, Czech, Latin
Studies: Italian, Cantonese, Japanese, Portuguese, Polish, Hindi, Mongolian, Tibetan, Kazakh, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 41
05 December 2007 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
Hi Zhuangzi,

to me, actually, nothing else, but the joy of the learning process matters. To me, the most important is to enjoy learning the language, maybe be because of it sound, because of little ´successes´ or just because I like a certain culture. Still, to me speaking is a pleasure, but learning is the most exciting. :)

Have a nice day,

Idril

mcjon77
United States
Joined 6422 days ago

193 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Egyptian), French

Message 3 of 41
05 December 2007 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Great post Zhuangzi!

Attitude is definately number 1 for me. Specifically 3 of the most important areas that attitude encompass are Motivation, Beliefs, and emotional state. I believe these three areas are most important for learning ANYTHING.

1)Motivation. You have to want to learn this foriegn language. I cannot count how many Native english speakers I know that have lived in Latin America for 5-10+ YEARS and cannot speak or understand the language AT ALL! The fact is these folks have no motivation to learn the language. It just isn't a priority for them. Since they have money and primarily interact with other English speakers, there is really no need for them to learn it.

2) Beliefs. This is CRITICALLY important for learning languages because so many people have been brainwashed through their experiences studying language in high school and college that they just "don't have an ear" for languages. Once I got over my beliefs regarding my ability to learn languages, my progress skyrocketed. I am begining to believe that many (if not most) people in the U.S. would be better off NOT taking a foriegn language course in high school, considering how many people I have met who believe that they cannot learn a foriegn language based on their high school experiences.

3) emotional state while learning. This is actually very important and relates to your previous statement about doing things you like doing. If you do things with an attitude of fun and curiosity, rather than frustration and boredom, you will most definately learn more. This doesn't mean ONLY doing fun things, but rather bringing the fun and enjoyment into what you are doing. Even when I am working in my grammar workbook, I am imagining how I will use this information and how much better I will be the next time I am in a country that uses my target language.

Edited by mcjon77 on 05 December 2007 at 6:58pm

manny
Triglot
United States
Joined 6169 days ago

248 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Tagalog
Studies: French, German

Message 4 of 41
05 December 2007 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Idril wrote:
... to me, actually, nothing else, but the joy of the learning process matters. ...

This is called "attitude:".    :-)

virgule
Antarctica
Joined 6651 days ago

242 posts - 261 votes 
Studies: Korean

Message 5 of 41
06 December 2007 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
I'd add effort between 1) and 2) or if you want application, dedication. By that I mean spending lots of time, of course with a specific aim in mind. You might include this under 1) motivation, but I think these are different things. I might be motivated and all, but not have/take the time to excel in a language...

leosmith
United States
Joined 6361 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 6 of 41
06 December 2007 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi wrote:
There are 4 key factors.

According to who?

jody
United States
Joined 6049 days ago

242 posts - 252 votes 
Studies: Russian, Bulgarian

Message 7 of 41
06 December 2007 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Zhuangzi wrote:
There are 4 key factors.

According to who?

According to Zhuangzi, of course! :) I think he (or she) summarized it pretty well.

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6839 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 8 of 41
06 December 2007 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Zhuangzi wrote:
There are 4 key factors.

According to who?

Leosmith

Unless people quote some other source, why would you not assume that people are just stating their own opinions on this forum. And what is your opinion on what matters in language learning?

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version