Diglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6477 days ago

27 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Swedish, Mandarin, German

Message 1 of 8
12 December 2007 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
I spend a lot of time trying to master Swedish pronunciation.
And I tend to think that my accent is ok, at least in Stockholm they don't
switch to English when talking to me :).

But in Malmö and Trelleborg I got a quite different experience. For my disappointment I start to understand less, especially from old people and was bound to use English.

I feel disappointed and challenged at the same time! I just have to get it!

But I'm not sure where I can find materials for this accent. I can't find it in my little collection of Swedish audio and video. Please help!

I heard that Colloquial Swedish courses are made with the accent, is it true?

Edited by Fyodor on 12 December 2007 at 3:09am

1 person has voted this message useful

dustytomes
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6690 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 2 of 8
12 December 2007 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
Maybe this site would be of some help : http://www.klangfix.se/ordlista.htm

Fyodor
Diglot
Joined 6477 days ago

27 posts - 33 votes

Message 3 of 8
12 December 2007 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
dustytomes wrote:
Maybe this site would be of some help : http://www.klangfix.se/ordlista.htm

Thanks a lot for the link! The site is beautiful!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6689 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 8
12 December 2007 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Fyodor wrote:
But I'm not sure where I can find materials for this accent. I can't find it in my little collection of Swedish audio and video. Please help!

I heard that Colloquial Swedish courses are made with the accent, is it true?

If your command of Swedish is fairly good you could go on to Scanian accent podcasts, news and so on:
http://www.sr.se/Malmo/
http://www.sr.se/Kristianstad/

I seriously doubt that Colloquial Swedish is based on Skåne accent, but I may be wrong. It's available at the local library here, so I can check that out for you.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 8
13 December 2007 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
The accent in Skane is the result of an East-Danish dialect that was forced to change towards Swedish after the area was occupied by Sweden. Paradoxically this has resulted in a dialect that is more difficult to understand for most Danes than the more Northerly Swedish dialects.

Eriol
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6646 days ago

118 posts - 130 votes 
Studies: Portuguese

Message 6 of 8
13 December 2007 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
If it's any consolidation for you even native speakers sometimes have trouble umderstanding the language in southern Sweden.

For Swedish dialects I can recommend this site: http://swedia.ling.gu.se/. It has soundclips from all over Sweden and the Swedish-speaking parts of Finland with both "translation" and "transcription".

Fyodor
Diglot
Joined 6477 days ago

27 posts - 33 votes

Message 7 of 8
13 December 2007 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to everyone for the links!
Just few days ago I doubted possibility to find something so special outside Sweden.
But modern Internet is a real fount of knowledge. Thank you for sharing!

In Wiki mentioned opinion that it was a separate language from the start and not a mix of Danish and Swedish.
But whatever it is, I just love it. For me it sound a little bit like Odessa accent.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 8
14 December 2007 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
I tried Fjodors link, but had problems, - instead I found the information at this link.

In the article it is said that Skånsk as been seen as a Swedish dialect because "traditional dialectology in the Scandinavian countries normally have not considered isoglosses that cut across state borders". The reality is that Skåne was part of Denmark until 1658 when it was ceded to Sweden. Then a harsh 'swedification' process took place, where all official functions including church and school had to be conducted in Swedish, and the East Danish dialect was transformed into something like Swedish - but not quite the kind of Swedish spoken in Stockholm or even Götaland. If you want to have an idea about how Skånsk would have sounded if the history had been different you might have a look at Bornholmsk, - that island remained under Danish control.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version