Triglot
United States
Joined 6138 days ago

248 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Tagalog
Studies: French, German

Message 9 of 15
14 December 2007 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
This is a slight change in topic, but the experts are here. :-)

Q: What's the correlation of masculine and feminine words among the different Romance languages?

With traditional words, water, soil, food, etc, I assume they are very consistent.

Q: What about newer words like airplane, cameras, computers?

Thanks in advance.

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 15
14 December 2007 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Does this thread partly answer your question?

manny
Triglot
United States
Joined 6138 days ago

248 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Tagalog
Studies: French, German

Message 11 of 15
14 December 2007 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Does this thread partly answer your question?

Yes it does - partly.

I'm surprised at the variety of genders with the word for milk since it has been around forever. I just expected differences in words for newer technical concepts.

Thanks.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6052 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 12 of 15
21 December 2007 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
Vulgar Latin is poorly documented, unlike its Classical form. It is possible that features present in Romance languages like Italian were foreshadowed in the Vulgar form long before the Empire fell, but it is not recorded.

Alas Oscuras
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 6640 days ago

38 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 13 of 15
25 December 2007 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
I think that what Iversen posted is very clear, I'm no proffessional linguist, certainly, but I've noticed in my
own experience several of the distinctive features and correlations between romance languages he
mentions. Because of all this I suspect Italian is phonetically very close to let's say, "standard" latin, at least
standard vulgar latin if such thing could exist at a certain time, maybe around the collpase of the empire, I
don't know. Anyway, the point is that I'm not sure how different, phonetically, would the iberoromance
languages be from a more standard latin. For example, the vulgar latin spoken in the southern region of
Iberia, from what I understand, was rather conservative, and could be kept alive even during the moorish
colonization because their politics allowed vulgar latin to continue being spoken. But several centuries later
the dialects of the north could have, if not precisely erased, absorbed this mozárabe dialect, so we are left
with no contemporary full continuity of it. But I wonder, how close to Latin was, again phonetically, at least,
the mozarab dialect? And then, paralelly, is also Spanish really so distant from it? I've seen that at least one
of the main phonetic particularities of Spanish when compared to either Latin or modern Italian is the
lenition. Frequently, where Latin and Italian have a P, Spanish has a B. Where there is a K sound, sometimes
we find a G sound in Spanish as in the English word "gate", or "goat". And also frequently, a D, instead of a
T. So I guess that sometimes makes Spanish softer. But besides from this lenition, is there any really
worthful difference? wouldn't the rest of sounds be very paralel? What do you think?

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 15
26 December 2007 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
The texts from 800-1000 that I quoted already show how the proto-Romance languages drifted apart while still being fairly close to Latin. However I don't know much about the linguistical situation around say 400-500, because those few ecclesiastical people who knew how to write at that time did their utmost to write in pure Latin. Maybe there are people here who know enough about Vulgar Latin to describe its regional differences during that period, but it's beyond me. As for the sound developments it is clear that Castilian and Portuguese in each their own way have been 'softening up' the language. It is tempting to see an influence from Arabic through the Mozarabic dialect, but this is also beyond me (partly because I don't know Arabic). However I have checked some of the sound shifts, and there is apparently evidence that both f->h and the softening of p,t,k began up North around Burgos, which was founded around 800 by the Castilian kings. If that is true then the Mozarabic dialect can't be blamed for some of the most conspicuous sound changes from Vulgar Latin to Modern Spanish. Besides, the bilabial sound that derived from p didn't coalesce with 'pure' b before around 1500, so the process ended long after the heyday of the Mozarabs. But I have to say that I haven't studied these questions in detail, and because there is very scant evidence it is difficult to prove anything.

Edited by Iversen on 26 December 2007 at 3:04pm

Alas Oscuras
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 6640 days ago

38 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 15 of 15
27 December 2007 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
Actually I wouldn't expect the Mozarab Latin to have had a sensible influence on other iberic languages,
because of what I mentioned in my last post, about how the northern dialects absorbed at least much of the
southern ones. But what I still suspect is that the Mozarab dialect was, before it disappeared, more
conservative and close to standard Latin. In the end I think, but I'm not sure, the southern part of Iberia was
the most itensely colonized by Romans. Then, migrations could have shifted the distribution according to
intensity of Roman culture, but I would expect the south of Iberia to retain its more colonized situation. I
mean, the south would have been more Roman, maybe.

And speaking of sound shifts, another romance language that has "softened" the sounds a lot is French,
evidently. It is one of the most original romance languages in terms of sound. As I was saying, besides
from lenition, and a few other traits, the sound of Spanish is very similar to Italian. This also sparkles my
attention... why do they sound similar? For example, Portuguese drifts phonetically from Italian more than
Spanish does, similarly as French. Maybe the answer is in the prerroman languages, or in romanization
itself. French has more similarities with Italian, not phonetically, but gramatically and in terms of
vocabulary, form what I've seen. But today's dominant French, the Paris one, is so to the north. I guess
provençal sounded more similar to Italian and Spanish and Catalan than today's northern French, because of
the degree of colonization.

Edited by Alas Oscuras on 05 January 2008 at 12:33pm

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version