Bilingual Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6190 days ago

164 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 6
17 December 2007 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
Capello's English isn't great, but I've been wondering how good the interpreters Italian was. I'm not learning Italian, but I'm just curious, because he's obviously a native English speaker. The link is here. Obviously for any England fans out there, it's a chance to see the new manager!

Edited by HTale on 17 December 2007 at 3:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

kinoko
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6448 days ago

103 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 2 of 6
17 December 2007 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
As an Italian native speaker and a Japanese/English/Italian professional interpreter, I can tell you that the A.C.Milan Japanese interpreter that used to interpret for the Italian team (expecially Kaka, as Japanese people have an obsession for him) speaks a horrible Italian. She completely missed chunks of important things said by the players and her oral production is terrible. Wrong use of prepositions and articles and very bad pronunciation. I cant't believe she is working for A.C.Milan and interprets for the most important Japanese TV programs.

koopa troopa
United Kingdom
Joined 6075 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 6
18 December 2007 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
Capello: English in a month

Quote:
At his official presentation at FA headquarters, Capello used English hesistantly and fleetingly, but has promised he will speak the language with his first squad in January.

"I am convinced that in one month when the national squad meets for the first time I will be able to speak the language," the Italian coach said.

"It is very important to be able to communicate with the players and for sure I need to give myself a strict regime. I will apply myself every day so that in a month I will be able to speak with the players."

kinoko
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6448 days ago

103 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 4 of 6
18 December 2007 at 4:33am | IP Logged 
I can't hear Capello's interpreter's voice very well in the video, but he sounds native to me. He may very well be bilingual.

HTale
Bilingual Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6190 days ago

164 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)*
Studies: French

Message 5 of 6
18 December 2007 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
koopa troopa wrote:
Capello: English in a month

Quote:
At his official presentation at FA headquarters, Capello used English hesistantly and fleetingly, but has promised he will speak the language with his first squad in January.

"I am convinced that in one month when the national squad meets for the first time I will be able to speak the language," the Italian coach said.

"It is very important to be able to communicate with the players and for sure I need to give myself a strict regime. I will apply myself every day so that in a month I will be able to speak with the players."

Somebody asked him about the method he was going to use; he replied without outlining his method.

Do you think he's being realistic?

WFU03
Groupie
Norway
Joined 6487 days ago

62 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, French

Message 6 of 6
19 December 2007 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
I think if he's making $12M a year, he can find a way to learn passable English in a month and be soccer-coach fluent within six months. They pay sure does create a strong incentive to do so at least.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version