Spain
Joined 6653 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 64
21 December 2007 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
I'd love to jump in at this point and recommend you go for Finnish.

But then I can hardly claim to be objective or impartial on this subject.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 64
21 December 2007 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
foram wrote:

Serpent thanks for encouraging that Finnish isn't utterly irregular. I guess Finnish is more phonetic but that takes its toll on your tongue muscle. How about pop genre? They usually sing clearest.
Check out eg Jonna Tervomaa, Neljä ruusua, Don Huonot, Tiktak, Uniklubi, Klamydia, CMX, Leevi and the Leavings, Mikko Alatalo, PMMP, Yö, Viikate, Harmaja... Not all of these are exactly pop though, but since my mother likes them I believe they're not too heavy :))) I hope you'll like some of these :)

I should have stated this more clearly I think: Finnish isn't just not utterly irregular, it's VERY regular. Maybe it's because of my affection to it, but I find it more logical than Esperanto.

Edited by Serpent on 23 December 2007 at 5:07pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6145 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 
Speaks: Latin*

Message 11 of 64
21 December 2007 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
foram wrote:
Hello All, thanks for the quick replies! I apologize for the overambitious, almost infantile first post.

Welcome to the forum. :-) I think you'll be wasting your time with either of those languages but I like your way of
thinking. :-)

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 12 of 64
21 December 2007 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
foram wrote:

Chung I read your Hungarian review and didn't think that that same person would reply to my post! I also heard your hungarian sound, and it is very useful. I found it not rushed like the native videos, which don't have captions anyway.
A story, I ran into a Hungarian online, and instead of saying "hey" i said just one word "nemetorszag". Then he said "WOW, how do you know that??? Can you say any other words?" "Magyarorszag" "omg why do you know these things" and then i was sad that that was all I knew and it was nominative.

Thanks, but be careful about relying on my sound bite in Hungarian. I do speak with a bit of an accent and this would be especially apparent if you compare my speech with that of a native speaker of Hungarian.

Well, have fun with whichever language you choose. Taking an interest in Hungarian or Finnish culture would go a long way in sustaining an interest in the respective languages. If you think that Hungarian verbs are impossible to learn, you should read about verb conjugations in Mordvin, Mansi or Nenets - all of which are also Uralic languages.

bellumgero
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5940 days ago

32 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Russian, Ukrainian*, English, Polish
Studies: German, French, Spanish, Italian, Serbo-Croatian, Portuguese

Message 13 of 64
23 December 2007 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Finnish is a very musical language with its innumerable "aa","uu","ee" ets. It's like a song but this song is an extremely hard one to learn :) because that language lacks almost all the words derived from Old Greek or Latin that are part and parcel of most modern European languages.
As for Hungarian,it has a very interesting rhythm and intonation because of fixed first syllable stress. As for its wordstock, it is not so isolated as Finnish because in the course of time it borrowed quite a lot of words either from German or from neighbouring Slavic languages. I was amazed to learn that many fruits and vegetables in Hungarian sound almost the same as in Ukrainian.
In view of the above,if I were you I would start studying Finnish as the most difficult and isolated from foreign influence European language (together with the Basque language).

bellumgero
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5940 days ago

32 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Russian, Ukrainian*, English, Polish
Studies: German, French, Spanish, Italian, Serbo-Croatian, Portuguese

Message 14 of 64
23 December 2007 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
BTW, if you do learn Finnish you'll be a real hero. :) I wouldn't have the courage and perseverance.

bela_lugosi
Hexaglot
Finland
Joined 6213 days ago

272 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English, Finnish*, Italian, Spanish, German, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Estonian, Sámi, Latin

Message 15 of 64
24 December 2007 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
I couldn't make a choice between the two, really. They are both very difficult yet interesting languages, but I believe that knowing Finnish would open up more possibilities if you wish to use it for working purposes, since we have Nokia ecc.

As opposed to Hungarian, Finnish is grammatically speaking more regular, there are few exceptions to the basic rules. Or if you definitely want to learn a bit of both to see which one you prefer over the other, try and do some comparative linguistic research to highlight the similarities between the two languages. I think that would give you a good idea of what they are essentially like. :)

Merry Christmas, by the way!

foram
Bilingual Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5944 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French, Portuguese, German
Studies: Russian

Message 16 of 64
24 December 2007 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
I was on Youtube some more, and I decided that while Hungarian sounds romantic when you want it to be, I did not think it sounded like this in Angry situations.

BTW, bellumgero that was exactly the type of post that I was hoping I'd see! When I made the original list of pros/cons, you could see that Hungarian was more stacked. But Hungarian's overlap with surrounding languages is definitely a point for Finnish.

Serpent sent a lot of really interesting Finnish bands too. I haven't based language learning on song-lyrics yet, but I have heard many stories that that is a huge head start into proper pronunciation and specific vocabulary.
I guess that I will hack the 18 cases using Finnish. If I am still undecided, then I will try some Hungarian vocab. Good idea bela_lugosi. Otherwise there should be no turning back..

Here is a document I used to learn everything about the hungarian-finnish cognates. It is very unbiased and that's why I still started this thread.

Many thanks again to y'all! Happy Christmas

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version