Bilingual
United States
Joined 6467 days ago

186 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean*

Message 1 of 3
20 December 2007 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
* Post renamed from "The Making of 'The Kite Runner'" to more accurately reflect the topic.

Khalid Abdalla, the lead actor in the film: "I was born in Scotland, brought up in London, my parents are Egyptian, my father was born in Illinois. I'd never been to Afghanistan. In that month, I was in total immersion. I banished English completely, had Dari lessons five hours a day. I ate everything I had never eaten before, I went everywhere that was referenced in the book, I built my relationship of love with Afghanistan during that period. I did everything I could and the reward I got at the end was being able to speak the language, which I managed to do in a month somehow."

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/kite_runner/news/1694079/

"* The cast and crew represented 26 countries and spoke 46 different languages.

* Book author Khaled Hosseini couldn't understand Khalid's initial attempts to speak Dari so he (Khalid) immersed himself in the language for a month by living in Afghanistan and working with a native language teacher."

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2007/nov/06/actor-interview- khalid-abdalla-star-kite-runner/

How different is Dari from Arabic? I am surprised that he was able to pick it up within a month.

Edited by jstele on 21 December 2007 at 7:56am

1 person has voted this message useful

jstele
Bilingual
United States
Joined 6467 days ago

186 posts - 194 votes 

Message 2 of 3
20 December 2007 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
Khalid Abdalla said that Afghans who saw the movie identified the Persian actors, but saw him as an Afghan. Persian is closer to Dari in vocabulary than Arabic, but Arabic gave him an advantage in pronouncing it. He said that Arabic gave him 50% of the vocabulary in Dari and that its grammar was very easy. I think it's quite remarkable considering that he only spent a month learning the language, regardless of his gifted teacher or good ear.

jstele
Bilingual
United States
Joined 6467 days ago

186 posts - 194 votes 

Message 3 of 3
21 December 2007 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
Khalid Abdallah and the novelist go into greater depth about his language learning and ability on "Charlie Rose". (See 23:00)

http://www.charlierose.com/shows/2007/12/13/2/a-discussion-a bout-the-kite-runner

The director goes into the logistics of filming with a crew who spoke different languages.
(See 33:00)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version