medchess
Diglot
United States
Joined 5997 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 1 of 7
26 December 2007 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
Instant Immersion Spanish Deluxe v2.0 (Computer program)

Has anyone used this program? Specifically, I am interested in:

Coverage of grammatical topics
Vocabulary- does the program contain all the vocabulary I would need to achieve fluency, or would I need another source?
Games - are they too time-consuming and are they useful? I am more interested in learning the language quickly than keeping up my interest with clever games
Audio CDs - There are a lot of reviews on amazon.com by beginners stating that the conversations between natives are too fast and not understandable, but for the advanced user, are there enough of these, and are they real conversations, because from the description of the CDs it seems to be mostly basics like subject pronouns, discussion of the weather, etc.

Many thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

Kualidu
Triglot
Groupie
Mexico
Joined 6016 days ago

93 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: GermanB1

Message 2 of 7
26 December 2007 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
The thing with Instant Immersion --that's funny, I was just listening to the Mandarin Chinese Audio Course-- is that you'd rather use it as support for language learning and not as your main course. It can be very disappointing as it doesn't really teach the formal aspects of a language and it is just words and phrases that would be more useful if you're traveling. I haven't used the Deluxe version but I don't think it is any more useful than the others.

I think you should try other courses first and then you can get Instant Immmersion as something you can use if you don't want to stress yourself too much. For me II works fine with Russian, Arabic and Chinese since I'm not really making a big effort to learn these languages. I just dont want to forget the little I've learned.

medchess
Diglot
United States
Joined 5997 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes

Message 3 of 7
29 December 2007 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
I am assuming you have not used the Spanish edition?

It advertises 100 hours of Basic Spanish, 100 hours of Intermediate Spanish, and 100 hours of Advanced Spanish. 300 hours seems like more than any other courses. Could you comment on some of the topics discussed in each of the 3? Thank you very much.

kewms
United States
Joined 5997 days ago

160 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 4 of 7
29 December 2007 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
I can't comment on the Spanish edition, but wasn't impressed with the Japanese version. Jam a bunch of completely unrelated software on a few CDs and call it a "course." Blech. The included dictionary was pretty useful, but that's about it.

This was several years ago and the product may have improved, but for Spanish you have lots of choices and can afford to be picky.

Katherine

Kualidu
Triglot
Groupie
Mexico
Joined 6016 days ago

93 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: GermanB1

Message 5 of 7
29 December 2007 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
No, I don't know the Spanish one --I was tempted to get it so that I could use it with my students but...mmm... no.

Is the audio course the one containing 8 CDs? I have the Instant Immersion Italian lab which has these as well as a workbook, a phrasebook and 3 CD-Roms. The CDs (one hour each) content though is not divided into Basic, Intermediate and Advanced. Instead they teach different themes such as the alphabet, numbers, nouns, giving directions, etc. It has two CD-Roms which are supposed to be beginner and intermediate --haven't used them yet.

I liked the audio. The pronunciation is clear and you have enough time to repeat and you can check your pronunciation thanks to the echoing effect. The Italian course works for me because of the language is close to Spanish and French. Most of the time I don't even need to look up the words in a dictionary.

The kind of phrases you learn are the ones you need as a tourist but it doesn't take you any further than that. If you're planning to really learn the language I'd recommend you to look at other courses --sorry, can't really tell which though as Spanish is my native tongue.

medchess
Diglot
United States
Joined 5997 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes

Message 6 of 7
29 December 2007 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
The Instant Immersion Spanish Deluxe 2.0 has 8 discs total, 4 audio CDs, whose content is also divided into the alphabet, sounds, greetings, introductions, gender agreement, weather, and so on, and 3 CD-ROMs, which are 100 hours each and divided into Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced. There is 1 disc with a Spanish-English dictionary.

I usually do not judge one program based on others by the same company, since there are frequently significant variations, and I was curious as to what was on the Advanced CD, but I may end up returning the software and using FSI Programmatic Spanish since there are no real positive reviews of Instant Immersion Spanish but plenty for FSI.

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6362 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 7 of 7
23 August 2008 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
Well, just a warning but the Chinese Deluxe v3.0 version from Instant Immersion is next to worthless. Very disappointed!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version